Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had this impulse the other day. About 10 $ of:
2 strong hinges
4 wellnut
4 bolts
4 lock washers

Some sawing, filing, drilling later, here is the result.
I'm afraid it will rust, eh... I'l make another with reall galvanize hinges if so.

Also, that it may slide off (unless I really tighten hard each corner so that it bends a little arount the foot)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
too small.

Door hinges are also available in 304 grade stainless steel.
too narrow.

nice :) i just use a junction box panel my self
too fussy.
I have one plate they gave for free at a bike show. Add a cord (or one of those disk lock coils) to it though, to simplify picking it up while sitting and holding the bike upright, sneak in tank or tail bag. I did that 3 times and it triggered the present impulse...LOL

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
too fussy.
I have one plate they gave for free at a bike show. Add a cord (or one of those disk lock coils) to it though, to simplify picking it up while sitting and holding the bike upright, sneak in tank or tail bag. I did that 3 times and it triggered the present impulse...LOL
i have a cord on mine tho most the time i dont find it that hard to just bend over and pick it up

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Had this impulse the other day. About 10 $ of:
2 strong hinges
4 wellnut
4 bolts
4 lock washers

Some sawing, filing, drilling later, here is the result.
I'm afraid it will rust, eh... I'l make another with reall galvanize hinges if so.

Also, that it may slide off (unless I really tighten hard each corner so that it bends a little arount the foot)

Isn't that on the heavy side ?
If you go over a bump, doesn't it triggers the kill switch of the engine by the kickstand ???

Otherwise, it's nice !

LOP

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't that on the heavy side ?
If you go over a bump, doesn't it triggers the kill switch of the engine by the kickstand ???
Otherwise, it's nice !
LOP
Thanks!

Yes it's heavy. Aside from a stronger spring, I might drill and cripple the plates to shed some weight. This is just revision 1. I took what showed up under my hand.

I definitely don't like the scraping the bolts are causing... I hope to find some scrap thick alu piece. Or just alumi-weld something together! It's fun!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
new revision (from 2 abs pipe caps):

used it this weekend. held up, light, solid for now. Might wear though, but so cheap to replace!

And I would consider a kitchen cutting board for next time... (could probably make 11 out of 1 board! only the bottom side need replacement if wearing).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
new revision (from 2 abs pipe caps):

used it this weekend. held up, light, solid for now. Might wear though, but so cheap to replace!

And I would consider a kitchen cutting board for next time... (could probably make 11 out of 1 board! only the bottom side need replacement if wearing).
Neat !
Much better than the rev 1 ... :grin2:

How about a hockey puck ?
Maybe two, one under the other over, like a puck sandwich ...

LOP

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
Phil - I KNOW you "frenchies" eat some WEIRD stuff, but a 'puck sandwich'... REALLY...?

:eek:

BTW - nice to see you posting again...!

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I trimmed my stand down 1/8", removed the kick bar, removed the safety switch activator and welded a 2x4" steel plate on the bottom. The plate has over twice the square area of the original and doubles as the kick bar. I do this on most of my bikes, adjusting height as needed also. Costs $0-$3. I just need to change the spring, I haven't gotten around to it yet. I just finished the Versys's stand today otherwise.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Costs $0-$3.
plus the 300$ welding machine, that is assuming no welding errors that could cost you a sidestand.

anyway I don't like these sharp/pointy edges, nor permanent mods. affects negatively the bike's value.

·
Registered
147 Posts
plus the 300$ welding machine, that is assuming no welding errors that could cost you a sidestand.

anyway I don't like these sharp/pointy edges, nor permanent mods. affects negatively the bike's value.
I don't weld myself. I had someone else do it, took less than two minutes and chatted a while about bikes. Mine is permanent, safer, looks better and not jury rigged. A kickstand can be replaced cheaply if needed, even under $10, probably about what you spent on supplies. The corners don't have to be sharp edges, you can shape them however you like. Here is my Ninja's, I had to shape around the chain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts