Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd copy this into the appropriate forum, as I previously submitted it as a reply in the "Performance Mods" forum in a Corbin Seat thread. Probably more relevant here. I hope it helps those having issues with the stock seat. Apologies if this is long-winded, but I'm having great success with it so far.

As most of us know, the biggest problem with the stock seat is the downward slope and the elevated tailbone section. I did some surgery on mine to level out the tailbone area, give it a little bit of a cup / bowl shape, and padded up the fore section with small cuts of firm camping mattress pad glued to the front half of the seat pan.

The primary pressure point near the tailbone / upper butt area has been relaxed / removed, and the seating pressure is now spread over a much larger area of the buttocks. The density of the stock seat foam is adequate once you get it shaped right.

Here's a pic with the cover on:

The stock cover fits fine. It is stretchy. The only part of the modification you will notice visually when you put the cover back on is the small forward section of the pillion seat that I carved back and flattened (vertically) a bit. I don't think it looks bad, plus it gives me a "locked in" feeling in the seat. It touches the lower back, upper pelvis area and probably provides just a bit more seating room. Feels great.

A few tips: Careful pulling the stock staples out. Wiggle them up with a small screwdriver and then use pliers to yank them out. You can stop pulling staples about an inch or two aft the seam in the seat, then peel the cover back. They put a TON of staples in that thing. I only replaced about half the staples that were there to begin with, which is more than enough. The "driver's" foam section lifts right out. Don't remove the passenger / pillion foam, just carve it right there on the pan. Put on a particle mask!!

For the rider's seat, draw a line about 6 to 8 inches in from the rear of the seat, on top. Then slowly carve from the rear to the front, back and forth with the 2" drum sander (or other abrasive device) The idea is to remove the upward lip on the rear part of the seat, along the same plane where you drew the line. Don't take too much foam away at first, but also don't worry about the foam being too thin. There's plenty of foam there.

The blue foam camping pad squares are self explanatory. I used a dab of hot glue to secure them to the pan. Cut to size and put them on the forward half of the pan. None on the rear. Staple cover back in place, use short staples. I think mine were 6mm but I can't remember. The staples were my only expense here... about $3.00.

Ride report: I got about 1 hour and 45 minutes on it after work today. I set out with the intent of being mindful of the seat. Typically, after less than an hour, my arse begins to feel the burn. When I returned home I realized that the seat never crossed my mind the entire ride. I was enjoying the beautiful weather and the pleasant NC spring scenery. I'd highly recommend giving this a shot before dropping big bread on a new seat. If it works for you half as well as it felt for me today, you will consider it a major success. Also, there is no sliding forward anymore at all. No more "front wedgies". I'm loving it and can't wait till I have the time for a 5 or 6 hour day in the NC mountains!!

Good luck!
Eric

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you, thank you for an excellent report. That is exactly what I have planned for the stock seat on my V. Just wondering how much of a difference it would make if one used a solid piece of camping mattress pad to build up the front rather than small individual pieces.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charliedog, give it a try and see how it feels. You can always pull it back out later if it doesn't work. My seat project was a 3X trial and error before I felt like I got it right. That is the beauty of doing it yourself.

Report back after you do it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Could you please explain to me a little more about those blue block you have glued to the seat base? I don't get it...!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kurt, the blue blocks are made of cut pieces of foam from a camping pad. They are pretty dense / firm. The idea was to slightly elevate the forward area of the seat foam, which will neutralize the downward slope, slide feeling of the stock seat. For me and several others, the seat in stock form tends to force you forward. This helps level it out. Works great.

Eric

·
Registered
263 Posts
That´s correct... that´s why it´s beign called "butt burner"...!
Raising the front part of the seat and lowering the rear is the key... I shaped a memory foam that way and the seat is now much more better but do it in the same seat should be great.
What kind of stapples have you used?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Short staples in a basic hand-held staple gun. I think they are 1/4 inch or something, but I can't remember exactly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used a solid piece of the camping mattress foam and it worked fine. I also cut some foam off the bottom of the back part. Still wasn't 100% happy, so I bought a Corbin.

Carving back the pillion a bit is a good idea. I wish I had tried that.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Eric. Re-doing my seat is on the to-do list real soon. Just bought staples the other day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wonder who the model human was for the stock seat .. I envision a little ... nevermind

It is so funny how an OEM can build such a complicated piece of machinery, and jack up a seat for half the users ... LOL

a SEAT ! ... Like I said ... who was the ortho model?

I have an idea ... Once one of you guys gets the seat right, after all your trials, I will send you my seat for the mod/s and a fair price for your efforts ...

I am sure I could knit a quilt, but I need to know how to make a doilie first ... I would feel better someone else hacking at my seat ... Lemme know if you're interested ... you could make some $$$ ... seems you have a good clientele ...

Reactions: Bassmaster 64

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have done some similar work but was not 100% happy on a long run.

Then I tried this:

It was a noticeable improvement. I used a dremel with a tiny wire brush.
Don't make me ask what that channel is used for ... It's either a fart capacitor or a pocket for yer ... uhhhhh... :forgetit:

Reactions: Bassmaster 64

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't make me ask what that channel is used for ... It's either a fart capacitor or a pocket for yer ... uhhhhh... :forgetit:
Dammit! The cat is out of the bag. LOL

In fact if you take a look at a pair of jeans there is a very annoying point of pressure that applies right in the middle of the groin when sitting on the bike. That pressure becomes very discomfortable over time and It's even worst when temperature is high in summer time.

Some bicycle seat have that and if i am right the Varadero has a similar carve on its seat too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Eric,

What is the thickness of the blue camp pad?

Thanks.

Dave
Dave, it is probably about 1/2 inch thick. It has little "egg crate" type bumps on it. I've had it for several years and I think I picked it up at Wally World or Gander Mountain. You could use any hard foam to elevate the front section of the seat to your liking. If you look at the very first picture at the top of the thread, it should give you some indication of the thickness I used.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
228 Posts
I tested an F800GS, that seat made the Versys seat feel good by comparison.
I've ridden one as well. The F800GS felt like I was straddling a 2X4.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It is so funny how an OEM can build such a complicated piece of machinery, and jack up a seat for half the users ... LOL
I was talking about the discomfortable seat, to a fellow rider who had never seen a Versys before (not that many around here), he looked at the bike and said something like: "Maybe the guy who drew the seat just followed the lines of the bike, never giving a thought about confort"...

Maybe he's right...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts