Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly making saddlebag supports for a bit now. What could have probably been done in 2-3 hours takes a lot longer when you can only work on it later at night after your toddler goes to bed.

I used 1/8" thick flat stock, I want to say 1 1/4" wide. Plasti-dip for paint, 5/16 button head bolts, nyloc nuts, some washers and two 1" spacers. The current spacers are plastic, but those will be changed out for aluminum ones that are maybe a quarter inch longer.

I used a hacksaw to cut the lengths(two 10" pieces, four 6" ones), an 18v drill for hole duty(started out using my normal general purpose bits, got through 3 of the 12 holes in way to long and went out and bought a proper step bit for the rest) and a bastard file to take care of burs and sharp edges.

If I were to do it again, I'd not use 5/16 hardware. It's overkill. Technically you could also save some time drilling holes, and the selection of spacers(at least at home depot) was better for smaller diameter bolts. I would also do something to round all the square edges over. I'll probably still do that at some point.

A good, sturdy table would have been nice too. Maybe I'll just ask my wife to sit on my folding one in the future to help keep it from being a little wobbly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
That's a nice bit of work - and you have the satisfaction of creating something that looks like it will work well and didn't cost you a bundle. How cool is that?!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I commend you on your fabbing!
I always try to make something before I just buy something. Heck of a lot more satisfaction that way!
I suppose these are for soft-bags you throw on?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I commend you on your fabbing!
I always try to make something before I just buy something. Heck of a lot more satisfaction that way!
I suppose these are for soft-bags you throw on?
That is what they are for, yeah. Basically to keep bags from folding under into the rear when, and keep them from drooping onto the exhaust. It also gives better points to secure the bags in place instead of the passenger pegs and license plate area of the fender. They are actually much more solid than I would have initially guessed, so that's an added bonus

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I borrowed a bench grinder from my dad, and will use it to round off the pointy corners of the rack. I've also got a set of saddlebags on the way, which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
So I borrowed a bench grinder from my dad, and will use it to round off the pointy corners of the rack. I've also got a set of saddlebags on the way, which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

Oh yes. Rounding off the pointy corners is a very good idea. I wonder how I know. :wink2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes. Rounding off the pointy corners is a very good idea. I wonder how I know. :wink2:
Funny you should mention that

I stripped the plasti-dip, and did some work on the bench grinder this afternoon.

Currently the first coat of new plasti-dip is drying on them

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Touch up is complete, now it just has to finish drying and go back onto the bike

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Much better

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to sort out a better removable strap set up holding the bags to the supports, but over all, it should work well.

Reactions: Devilsfan
1 - 12 of 12 Posts