Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Hillary's presidency is approaching fast, I decided to start saving now as much as I can :) . I came up with a GPS holder that normally costs around $70, I paid for that aluminum piece $5.99 at Home Depot.
I will probably paint it black when I have time.
Hope it helps other people who are looking to save some money.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
cant paint that alu with ordinary pain, it will not stick and chip.
although yours is not exposed much. but still.
to avoid chipping, I recommend rubber paint (rocker panel paint). That sh*t stains and stick so much I waterproof my old boots with it!

do tests.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just use a self etching primer and it will stick. I think they also call them "wash primers". Most home improvement and Wal-Mart stores will stock "aluminum primer"

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow that looks great. I've seen some other DIY brackets, but this is probably the most simple (easiest to make) one I've seen.

I'd like to see how you actually mount your GPS/phone on it. Probably easiest to bolt a ram ball on to it, then you can mount anything on it?

One thing I do like about the expensive SW-motech mount is that it is very sturdy (less vibration) and has vibration dampening (rubber mounted) for even less vibration.

I'd be interested in seeing some more photos of your Chase Harper bag, how does that mount and does it block view of anything? Does it make the key hard to access?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is a better look of the chase harper bag.
It doesn't block the view but it does make it harder to reach the key, but you get used to it in no time.
Makes it really comfortable to carry some minor things around. I had to add 2 more velcro straps at the bottom of the bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not to get too off-topic, but here's how I'm using the same C-H bags:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought that bag after I saw your pictures. I had it the same way you have it for a while but then decided to relocate it to the front. I like that bag overall, good quality and the plastic inside keeps its shape is a great idea.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I bought that bag after I saw your pictures. I had it the same way you have it for a while but then decided to relocate it to the front. I like that bag overall, good quality and the plastic inside keeps its shape is a great idea.
And if someone doesn't want a GPS, perhaps they could DIY a bracket similar to yours and attach the barrel-bag to it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very simple and efficient ! Do we need to warm it to fold this piece ?

Do you have any photo showing the final result with the phone ?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have an Otter case for my iPhone 5S and it came with an open face holder/belt clip. I just put a piece of flat metal across between the two shield uprights. Made is as wide as the belt clip with a couple of notches to keep the clip from sliding side to side. Holder/belt clip just slips over that and with the open face I can use the "maps" app on the phone for a GPS.

I am aware that phone signals can be sucky in some spots which is why I carry maps as well. The phone can charge in that spot and I can see when a call comes in. GPS/maps are mainly for use in cities.

·
Premium Member
16,228 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts