Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where to go to find the differences in the Ninja and Versys engines? First gen engines only. Is it all in the engine, or is the tune part of the power increase?
I can't ever seem to find these articles when I search for them. Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is my understanding that the ninja 650 and the versys 650 have the same engine, just a different state of tune.
Are you from Mississippi? If so, what town? I live in Columbia Ms.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
as i recall the only real difference is the cam shafts but i very well could be wrong, i know someone on here has built a versys from the frame up with a ninja motor in it

·
Registered
440 Posts
as i recall the only real difference is the cam shafts but i very well could be wrong, i know someone on here has built a versys from the frame up with a ninja motor in it
You might be wrong, but you're not according to twowheeladdict, and I trust what he says. for those that don't know, this is not his first rodeo.
Ninja 650 to Versys 650. Real World Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts
Can someone tell me where to go to find the differences in the Ninja and Versys engines? First gen engines only. Is it all in the engine, or is the tune part of the power increase?
I can't ever seem to find these articles when I search for them. Thanks.
Mostly the Ninja made its power further UP the power-band (you need to rev it!), and the engine came in aluminum vs the BLACK on the Versys.

jdrocks referred to it as the "cop-motor"....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would also expect a higher compression ratio from the ninja. Wanna say I saw somewhere the Ninja has 11.5:1, Versys has 10.5:1?

Edit: and apparently I'm wrong about that. Checking the spec sheets online, both the Versys and the Ninja (2015 and up, at least) have the same compression ratio (10.8:1). Sorry about the bad info...

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts
FWIW - the engine in my Gen 3 is DIFFERENT from the one in my Gen 1, in that its power is HIGHER up the rev-range, BUT (because it's now a "closed-loop" FI system) way better gas mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts