Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the bike apart to clean took front wheel off to clean everything. All went fine untill went to put the brakes on. Put the first one on fine and then hear comes the stupid. Went to make sure they are working good so pumped the brakes forgetting that the second brake is not on. Dont know if this is what caused the problem or not but the second brake was a b--ch to get on but I did get it on. Well the problem is that it is now rubbing on the side that was hard to get on. The pads are rubbing. I can turn the wheel with little effort but afraid the brakes will over heat. Can anyone tell me how to loosen the pads up so they are not rubbing. Looked in the manual and no help there.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Pry the pads back so the rotor is free, then pump the brakes back up. Go for a ride, and the pads will self retract after a few stops

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not sure,but...

I'm not sure if it will work on the Vee, but I've had the same problem when putting new pads on my truck in the past (yep, I did the same thing you did!) I used a C-clamp on the piston to push it back in. Don't know if you'll need the extra force on the Vee or not, but if they're stubborn, you might give it a try.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Slot in a big minus screwdriver in between the brake pads.
Pry it open slowly till you have enough space required for the rotor.
Put the caliper back on the rotor. Bolt the caliper back.

Slowly squeeze the front brakes till they bite. You're good to go.
You can do the above without bleeding the brake fluid system via the caliper nipple.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Careful if you use a screwdriver to pry the pads apart. Don't want to gouge them. My friend Gary uses a wooden wedge, like an oversize door stop, for this purpose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Might want to spray that piston with brake cleaner before you force it back in to avoid getting gritty dirt past the seal... Oh, this was yesterday? Eh, probably be alright...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Might want to spray that piston with brake cleaner before you force it back in to avoid getting gritty dirt past the seal... Oh, this was yesterday? Eh, probably be alright...
Using some brake cleaner is my suggestion as well. It's probably some dirt that is impeding the piston from retracting in the first place. There should be no resistance to the piston retracting slowly back (when you try to force it it, you will feel resistance because of the amount of fluid you are forcing through small orifices but it should not resist slow movement). Caution: be careful with the brake cleaner, some formulations will strip paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts