Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here have one? I ordered one and it will be here today so it will be installed tonight. drivers here just don't seem to hear the stock horn, maybe they will after I get the denali installed. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
i plan on getting a wolo myself... but about the same thing

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I bought the Wolo BadBoy, very similar design to the Denalli. That wiring harness is pretty pricey and it would be my guess they use crap components, you could easily make your own for that price with good quality wiring and relay. I watched the video they don't show any of the wiring or the bracket so it is unknown if it's any good. 1 thing I will say wow it's loud.

·
Registered
720 Posts
and WOLO is a copy of the Stebel Nautilus

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Denali c/w remote compressor / Speedy Highway Pegs

This is on a 07, the horn is mounted in the original location of the OEM horn, the wiring for the OEM horn is pulled back to the relay that drives the horn, next or to the left of the compressor is part of the Thermo-Bob, all parts are supplied except the clamp I used to mount the compressor, FYI all the parts I used are stainless, the clamp is a 1 1/4 stainless conduit stand off strap.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Air horns are problematic when exposed to the environment. Water kills them. Drying out from non use kills them.

I put these 6 inch electric horns on my Voyager. Made it sound like an emergency vehicle and no issues riding in the rain.

I mounted the air horn I was going to put on the bike, in my wife's truck instead.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have spilt Sound Bomb. The compressor is on the right hand side as per the photo and the air horn is behind the right hand head light.

Wired through direct to the battery as the draw is around 35 amps. Only problem I had was that the fuse blew but once replaced it has been great.

For me a loud air horn is essential because
(a) pedestrians, bikes, anything here do not not expect a motorbike to be travelling at anything faster than 50kph so their road crossing judgements based on that so occaisonally you need to make them aware
(b) Great big black Lexus 570s with rich people inside think they own the road and it scares the devil out of them when you let rip because they think they are just about to be hit my another rich car
(c) It is no use with Water Buffalo because they just don't care and all they will do is make a lazy turn of their head and look at you as if to say "Who are you"....

Anyeay I would recommend but go the split version as the single version can be difficult to locate. I bought a Screaming Banshee but it was big and heavy so it is sitting on the shelf....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Air horns are problematic when exposed to the environment. Water kills them. Drying out from non use kills them.

I put these 6 inch electric horns on my Voyager. Made it sound like an emergency vehicle and no issues riding in the rain.

I mounted the air horn I was going to put on the bike, in my wife's truck instead.
link to were you got them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got the "mini sound bomb" which isn't quite as loud, but it's louder than the stock horn and it doesn't require a relay or any additional wiring. It's about $30.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The Wolo, Stebel Nautilus, etc are all coming out of the same factory in China. You can buy them no name off ebay for about $20. I have bought branded ones and no name and they are identical. The sound bomb is a newer model and they are showing up on ebay, too. You can take them apart yourself.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This is on a 07, the horn is mounted in the original location of the OEM horn, the wiring for the OEM horn is pulled back to the relay that drives the horn, next or to the left of the compressor is part of the Thermo-Bob, all parts are supplied except the clamp I used to mount the compressor, FYI all the parts I used are stainless, the clamp is a 1 1/4 stainless conduit stand off strap.
How long did you have it that way on your 07? Did you notice if it was affected by rain, etc?

I ask because I'm thinking of cloning your setup and moving mine (2015 Versys 650) from under the front fairing to the original location of the OEM horn.
It works fine under the front fairing but when I lift the front of the bike with my steering stem stand, the stand sometimes hits the horn.

Thank you! :)

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Horn going on 16,000KM

How long did you have it that way on your 07? Did you notice if it was affected by rain, etc?

I ask because I'm thinking of cloning your setup and moving mine (2015 Versys 650) from under the front fairing to the original location of the OEM horn.
It works fine under the front fairing but when I lift the front of the bike with my steering stem stand, the stand sometimes hits the horn.

Thank you! :)
As I posted, it faces forward, been through mud, driving rain, gravel, it is a air horn, now if I was like JDROCKS and was crossing rivers everyday, I might re think the location, mind you my thought would be to toot the horn the minute I was back on dry land, kind of giving it a washout.
Trust me, if you are within 1 KM of me, you will hear the horn, and it ain't toot toot. I did say previously in another post that my headlights dim when I run it, and that is at 6000 RPM with full output of the stator.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
As I posted, it faces forward, been through mud, driving rain, gravel, it is a air horn, now if I was like JDROCKS and was crossing rivers everyday, I might re think the location, mind you my thought would be to toot the horn the minute I was back on dry land, kind of giving it a washout.
Trust me, if you are within 1 KM of me, you will hear the horn, and it ain't toot toot. I did say previously in another post that my headlights dim when I run it, and that is at 6000 RPM with full output of the stator.
Thanks onewizard!
I'll move mine to the OEM location.
I agree. The sound of the Denali sound bomb "ain't toot toot" LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts