Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running them on their V ? I’m considering adding them to my 2014 to increase my visibility but I’m also curious about how much they really help at night.

TIA

KC

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I run them day and night, I got the data dim module, my power comes from the auxiliary power relay, the included switch is my high beam. I just released two pins and changed the plug and play configuration. I don't use the wide angle lens. Both lights are aimed towards the right and for 300 M distance. Their prime purpose is to pick up wild life before I crash, so far that is 3 times, one a group of 5 deer at near midnight, I was doing VERY Fast, I did a emergency brake, I was in sixth gear and around 6500 RPM, went from sixth to 1st in less than 50 M , I absolutely love them.

High beam

Here is a photo with my LED 6000 Lumen low beam on, to compare brilliance.

here is my write up

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, while I’m pretty good with the wrenches, electrical is a grey zone for me. I’m planning on using the data dim module and the high/low/off switch from Denali. What would be the most painless ans least invasive way to power the lights ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not familiar with the earlier models but on my 2020 I installed the aux relay and got power from the Kawasaki supplied connector in left front. That will supply power to your aux lights when key is ON.
I have Denali D2 with the HI/Low but not data dim. Mine are mounted up high just under front cowl.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Have you converted your city lights to philips led? If so, more than enough power for the Denali. As to wiring. I think i have photos of the plug and play. Your call, I felt the cost of the off, low, high switch was expensive. Personally , on low, they draw less than 1 amp. The original 1 pole switch is now high beam.
I can give you wire colour and routing. Pay attention to mounting location , I had the lights before i got the crash bars.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I'm not familiar with the earlier models but on my 2020 I installed the aux relay and got power from the Kawasaki supplied connector in left front. That will supply power to your aux lights when key is ON.
I have Denali D2 with the HI/Low but not data dim. Mine are mounted up high just under front cowl.
The 2014 has a spot on the left, opposite the tps , a relay and mounting bracket need to be purchased for auxiliary power.
The city lights are fused at 10 amp, have two 5 watt bulbs, converted to phillips led the light doubles and wattage is roughly 1.6 watts each or roughly 0.13 amp each

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Glen - can you tell me which DENALI lights these are (on my '15).

IMG_0665 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and turned ON.

IMG_0372 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
Yes DM's according to your post DENALI 2.0 D2 TriOptic LED Light Kit with DataDim...

·
Registered
201 Posts
What type connector is the factory harness for the aux lights? I'm about to install some lights on mine and would like to just make the connection into that. I'm assuming it's tucked up in the fairing somewhere. I'm looking at the denali lights and relaying them to the high beam and low beam at the respective power levels with the dimmer feature.

·
Registered
800 Posts
these lights are really bright, but there is a serious design flaw. i had the 'pleasure' of having 3 of them getting broke. either they leak water from the back, or how they attach is very poor and I had to goop these attachment points with limited success. so my advice is: don't buy that crap.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
these lights are really bright, but there is a serious design flaw. i had the 'pleasure' of having 3 of them getting broke. either they leak water from the back, or how they attach is very poor and I had to goop these attachment points with limited success. so my advice is: don't buy that crap.
I find that hard to believe, I have pressured washed these , with over 500 hours on them. I would love to see these damaged units of yours,(these forums contain helpful information, actual operating conditions and so much more, if a product is defective then it is equally important to post with photos, those D2 lights I bought were over $400 when I consider the SW Motech mount for them, it isn't a case of lacking the funds, but justifying the product is worth the money, you are the first complaint, no photos to prove** your post offers nothing to the reader of it, other than one would assume you are the expert on Denali LED lights) along with photos showing Denali, although the knock offs are getting good.
As to attachment, it is a machined aluminum mount. Again photos would help.I have had my units apart, I have no idea how water could get in, unless your bike has been at the bottom of a lake for a while.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have no idea how water could get in
I took apart my aux lights and when I reassembled them I didnt use their gasket properly on one and it leaked till I figured it out. Its like taking apart a water resistant watch to change the battery, pay attention to the gasket!

·
Registered
800 Posts
actually mine leaked from the back. the design flaw is due to how they attach at the bottom, 2 parts, that are attached by tiny bolts. after some time, that attachment gets loose. I experienced it with 4 sets of them, so I speak from experience. I have other Denali lights, D4, D7, which have much more solid attachment system. you probably can not see on the picture but that part which is connected to the main light is not one unit but two (i am not referring to the bracket with the bolt). I stand by what I said, a crapy design. I even contacted Denali about this issue. I have other Denali lights, D4, D7, which have much more solid attachment system. anyway, I suggest to put plastic cover on these lights when you pressure wash them.
denali.jpeg
w I

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone running them on their V ? I’m considering adding them to my 2014 to increase my visibility but I’m also curious about how much they really help at night.

TIA

KC
Run them day and night. Never even use the on/off switch! Use every day for commute. 40,000m. On my 5th year. No problems

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Denali D4's on my 2019 LT. Mounted them to the T-Rex engine guards. Looks great. Makes me MUCH more visible during the day and are a tremendous help at night. Love the fact that two of the LEDs are flood and the other two are spot.

Speaking of being seen, you need to do something with the tail light also. I just installed the Blaster X tail light and it is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Yes , I am in the process of coming up with a different mounting for my Gear Brake module, the velcro doesn't do it, I need a fine adjustment . Also have a signal light alarm, many times I see bikes going down the road with the signal light on, this could be dangerous when approaching a intersection. Her is my alarm and it is disabled while the brake is applied ( stopped at traffic lights)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts