Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Delkevic slip on, not in love with the install or the instructions but the product is quality and was the exact sound I was looking for. It just puts a little bass in the bikes voice. It gets most of its rowdy out in the low rpm's then smooths out at highway speeds. Its not loud just sounds "better".

Sound comparison below.

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
53 Posts
Bought the Delkevic slip on, not in love with the install or the instructions but the product is quality and was the exact sound I was looking for. It just puts a little bass in the bikes voice. It gets most of its rowdy out in the low rpm's then smooths out at highway speeds. Its not loud just sounds "better".

Sound comparison below.

I put a Delkevic on my X and am happy with it. I think it sounds better and is not loud. I did have to play with it a little when installing.

·
Registered
800 Posts

Sound comparison below.

it sounds lovely. i have Akra slip on, without db killer, and it is a bit too quiet.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to think it sounds exactly like I want it to right now I guess I might as well take the baffle out and at least give it a chance. I really wanted the akra pipe but it was just too expensive. This was only $200.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took the baffle out today. It's only mildly louder but sounds almost identical otherwise. Riding around for a few days with the baffle in it made some strange pops almost on acceleration on decel I wouldn't be surprised but on accel especially in 2nd gear it was kind of annoying so I took it out. It's a really strange phallic looking object like nothing I've seen in the terms of baffles. It kind of forces everything into packing. Gonna run it without the baffle now see how that goes.

Note the front clamp was the wrong size. So I bought a 1.5" clamp off amazon that is on there now.

Also adding some pictures for people who may purchase in the future maybe make install a little easier. Note the two fancy aluminum machined washers that I couldn't for the life of me imagine where they wanted me to use them.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Delkevic 9" exhaust for sale of anyone want one. $ 100 shipped to your location in the lower forth eight. It comes with the stock insert and the quiet insert installed in the muffler. Slips right on , no issues.
PM me if interested...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mildly inappropriate but do you gangsta.

Update: The bike had noticable power loss with the insert out. Apparently that's just too much flow for it without a retune. With the insert/baffle in it performs at least equally if not better. The loss of power without the baffle was not in my head, the bike was flat across the entire rpm range it wasn't insignificant I would guess 20 percent power loss. I put the baffle back in let it warm up at at idle took it to work right back to as good as new.

I am considering a booster plug.

·
Registered
800 Posts
i don't know. i have Leo vincie underbelly fully system. both baffle in or out, the power is the same. but it is not fully open, as there is section in the slip-on, like a plate with many holes. on the other hand, my V1000 is fully open, and no power loss. but I do have the BP.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So different exhausts on different bikes with different types of muffler constructions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mildly inappropriate but do you gangsta.

Update: The bike had noticable power loss with the insert out. Apparently that's just too much flow for it without a retune. With the insert/baffle in it performs at least equally if not better. The loss of power without the baffle was not in my head, the bike was flat across the entire rpm range it wasn't insignificant I would guess 20 percent power loss. I put the baffle back in let it warm up at at idle took it to work right back to as good as new.

I am considering a booster plug.
So without removing the db killer the bike runs well?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Without baffle - Runs "fine", clear loss of power.

With baffle - Runs fine.

With baffle and booster plug - Runs great.

Note the baffle in this muffler is not your average DB killer it looks like a stainless steel kielbasa. Not like any db killer I have ever seen, it's basically a giant plug that increases back pressure so the bike runs properly. In my past experience "db killers" typically look like perforated cans, small sections removed from turbo mufflers, or in dual sports tubes with stainless screens (spark arrestors). This device is indeed a purpose built baffle made to reduce flow and increase back pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Something last, and sorry for hijacking your thread. Apparently, Delkevic exhausts are not "E-approved", and this explains why Delkevic exhausts cannot be found in my country and I have to import. It practically means that they are not road legal within EU grounds. I am in contact with the company and I am asking if their exhausts have something that screams "unregulated" in the EU, a tell-tale hint that the average po-po who doesn't know all exhaust companies and models by heart can pick up on. Whomever I am talking to doesn't know or doesn't want to tell. Basically, compared to another popular design from lets say Akrapovic, when looking or hearing those exhausts side by side, does anyone of them scream "illegal" in your opinion?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Delkevic full exhaust which includes the pipe all the way from the muffler to the head removes the catalytic converter, the Delkevic slip-ons are just mufflers I can't imagine the slip-on violates any emissions laws. The akra is a slip on system (just muffler) which is probably why it's approved and the Delkevic full system is not. Most every aftermarket motorcycle muffler is just a straight perforated tube wrapped in fiberglass wrapped in metal or carbon fiber with a removable baffle.

In short buy a muffler not a full exhaust and they should all be compliant unless there is a noise regulation attached as well. I believe the akra is around 96db and most of the Delkevics are 99-102. My Delkevic also does not have a spark arrestor perhaps that is a requirement (I don't THINK the akra has one either) I know nothing of european requirements sorry best advice I can give you.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Something last, and sorry for hijacking your thread. Apparently, Delkevic exhausts are not "E-approved", and this explains why Delkevic exhausts cannot be found in my country and I have to import. It practically means that they are not road legal within EU grounds. I am in contact with the company and I am asking if their exhausts have something that screams "unregulated" in the EU, a tell-tale hint that the average po-po who doesn't know all exhaust companies and models by heart can pick up on. Whomever I am talking to doesn't know or doesn't want to tell. Basically, compared to another popular design from lets say Akrapovic, when looking or hearing those exhausts side by side, does anyone of them scream "illegal" in your opinion?
Ask them if it is stamped “off road use only”. Many aftermarket parts have that stamp to protect the manufacturers. They can’t control what the user does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ask them if it is stamped “off road use only”. Many aftermarket parts have that stamp to protect the manufacturers. They can’t control what the user does.
Apparently those exhausts are very much road legal in the UK, as long as the db killer is not removed for extra noise. I wonder if Delkevic exhausts were also allowed in the EU pre-Brexit because, I cannot imagine them being road legal in the UK as long the UK was also part of the union, and at the same time being road illegal for the rest of the union.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Apparently those exhausts are very much road legal in the UK, as long as the db killer is not removed for extra noise. I wonder if Delkevic exhausts were also allowed in the EU pre-Brexit because, I cannot imagine them being road legal in the UK as long the UK was also part of the union, and at the same time being road illegal for the rest of the union.
I had some issues with Dekovic slip ones. they are nicely made but too loud and too much popping.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One straight pipe is going to be negligibly different than the other. They all are going to pop. You have to modify the fuel mix like with the booster plug and now my bike sounds and looks awesome and does not pop.

·
Registered
800 Posts
some pop more than others. the Akra in my 300 does not pop at all. it wasn't popping even without any mods and db killer removed. but blocking the Pair Valve is always a good idea. You can do it even without getting a blockoff plate. Just seal the hole with epoxy and same with the hole that goes to the air box.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You bought a booster plug, pair valve kit, and an o2 block off totalling well over $200 for no reason at all? I think you have a different definition of popping than most. Popping isn't backfiring it's just if it's not a consistent continuous grumble from 1200 up to 8000 and back down to 1200 that's "popping" to me. Any stuttering or inconsistency whatsoever is below average I would call that "popping" as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts