Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The radiator fan on my 2008 Versys seems to have died. It tried to come on, made a grinding noise, then stopped. My temp light comes on in traffic, and now my fault indicator (FI) light is on and will not turn off. The fan is DEAD, and the cheapest I can find is $309.00. I am not willing to pay that kind of money for something that will probably die again soon, so does anyone have any options for a better fan? Otherwise, I sell it and buy that Ducati I've had my eye on LOL

Thanks for any help:cheers:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Wow!! $300!? Damn. I would think you could find one on ebay from a wrecked bike or something. Wonder if a generic car fan from autozone would fit somehow. $300!? Again, I say damn!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know..$300.00 for a cheapie fan! Ugghh!

I will look on EBay and at junkyards..

Thanks for the great idea,
Rich

·
Registered
467 Posts
Try to find a shop that will rewind the fan motor for you. My radiator fan burned out also, I was leaving on a trip and had to pay full price for a replacement fan motor.

Gary

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Rich - Are you sure there isn't anything stuck between the fan and radiator that is preventing it from turning?

Gustavo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ron Ayers seems to have the cheapest price - but still at $292+change it's a rip-off.
Looks like there's a superceded part - wonder why that is..

FAN-ASSY

Mfg. Part Number: 59502-0037
This item has been superceded to: 59502-0041
SKU: 796028 MSRP: $385.55
Your Price: $291.48

Mfg. Part Number: 59502-0041
SKU: 1350950 MSRP: $386.73
Your Price: $292.37

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Gustavo

I'm going to remove it tonight to see what I see..it sure would be nice if it was just a rock :)

I'll report back..

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting..I guess they removed the one made in Taiwan and replaced it with one that will last..I'll check it out..

Thanks much
Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure, but for $35.00, I might buy it and try it..

Thanks very much for the reply..I will see if it fits..

Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

A friend of mine suggested the same thing a minute ago..I'm going to take it off and see what can be done..damn sight cheaper than the 300.00..Mile Hi Versys mentioned that there's one for an ex650 on EBay for $35.00, so I might try that option as well.

Thanks for the reply

Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went ahead and purchased this fan, as it appears to be the same one for the KLE 650. $35.00, so I took the chance..

Thanks for the help..

Rich

·
Registered
665 Posts
Don't know about the Versys fan per se but a lot of fan motors these days don't get much in the way of real weather/dust proofing. They suck in all sorts of grime and crud and then seize. A lot of them can be taken apart, cleaned, lubed and replaced without too much hassle. I know friends have done this on their cars with good results. Look for screws and such buried under labels and rubberized mounts and such.

Darn thing is dead...it isn't like you can hurt it much more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The fan on my 4 wheeler burned up. At $400 I shopped around for options too. I ended up using an automotive replacement fan for about $50 from Pep Boys. If it can keep working on my muddy 4 wheeler (which it does), I know it will work on a street bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased this version for the EX650 on eBay from a 2007 model. The price was right at $25 + shipping ($41 total). Realize the size of the fan motor is not identical; it's slightly larger so it doesn't fit in the existing mount. However, you can easily modify the new mount to fit by sawing off the top-right arm and bending the remaining arms to fit. The clearance of the fan blade is enough to handle the modification without touching the radiator fins. I have yet to finish the full installation but there's no reason to believe it won't function as good as new.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I replaced my fan with one off ebay from a Ninja 650R. My 09 Versys fan had 3 legs of mounting bracket and the replacement fan had 4. Fit just fine. BTW the 2008 Versys has the 4 leg bracket and the 2009 has the 3 leg bracket and that is the reason for the superseded part number.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My bike started to heat up one day and the FI light came on too. No Fan. It was a fuse that blew because a rock was stuck up in the fan. It's pretty easy to happen, there was a thread on this site for it a year or two ago. I'd check your fuses before replacing that fan (if you haven't already....)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The motor had torn itself apart although the fuse is probably shot as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts