Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - got a buddy that bought a 2016 V-650 with abs..NOT an LT and does not have the hard bags.

I've been searching Ebay and Craigslist and for sale here..... any pointers as to where I could find a set - Metallic black would be appreciated

tanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
As someone who DOES have a Gen 3 V650LT, my suggestion: buy other bags, as the Kawi ones are 'delicate' IF your bike ever takes a "little rest" on its side.

I have TUSK aluminum panniers on my Gen 1, and find them FAR superior to the LT bags, altho' they are NOT easily removable.

Here's my LT pannier after I dropped my bike at ZERO mph, leaving a camp-ground in BC. Pic taken of the pannier removed.

IMG_2248 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and my Gen 1 fairly recently.

IMG_0580 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
120 Posts
As someone who DOES have a Gen 3 V650LT, my suggestion: buy other bags, as the Kawi ones are 'delicate' IF your bike ever takes a "little rest" on its side.

I have TUSK aluminum panniers on my Gen 1, and find them FAR superior to the LT bags, altho' they are NOT easily removable.

Here's my LT pannier after I dropped my bike at ZERO mph, leaving a camp-ground in BC. Pic taken of the pannier removed.

IMG_2248 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and my Gen 1 fairly recently.

IMG_0580 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
I've already dropped my bike several times on my first long trip with fully loaded sw-motech hard panniers on (the stuff really changes the feel of balance). Nothing happened at all, still able to take them off and on with easy. Probably the best crash bar I've ever had lol

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I agree with fasteddie. I use the OEM bags because they came on the bike. If they didn't, or end up broken sometime, I'd be back to after market Givi or Kappa boxes that I have had great success with over the years.
Your buddy has a blank slate with lots of options, look beyond the OEMs.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If I were to buy another Versys 650, I would definitely opt for the LT version. The integrated bags look good. I haven't dropped a street bike in a long long time. If you are concerned about dropping the bike there are some makers of tip over protection.

If I were going to ride the bike where dropping it was a possibility, I would opt for soft luggage with soft luggage support. GIVI Soft Saddlebag Supports for Kawasaki Versys 650

·
Registered
834 Posts
They are made by Givi for Kawi! Im with twowheeladdict, the LT integrated system is slick and hugs the wheel nicely. But not made for rough and tumble riding. Ive had a few standing drops no damage. One low speed low side that broke a tooth but fixed that with epoxy and a screw. Then a little bondo for the gouges and a spray can and back into service.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Givi makes those bags but they wont sell them direct as kawasaki has it setup that way. But they do have something close. I bought the kappa bags same thing cheaper I bought mine for if memory is still good 385.00 for the pair verse Kawasaki wants over 600.00 i believe but the kappa's will need a racks to hold the bags $185.00 hope this helps. Mine are like brand new still.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi - got a buddy that bought a 2016 V-650 with abs..NOT an LT and does not have the hard bags.

I've been searching Ebay and Craigslist and for sale here..... any pointers as to where I could find a set - Metallic black would be appreciated

tanks!
happy trails, different size boxes, I don't have a photo for her 2014 v650 bike with the happy trail boxes. We did do 2 trips for3 months each time to Mexcio/Centrail America on our KLR's with the happy trail boxes and for us they are still the best

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check with your dealer or two. Sometimes they will give 15% discount on accessories. I asked when I bought my top case and needed up with a discount. Now getting them soon is another story. Bought a top case back in August and still waiting on a piece of trim to arrive. Good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
What other said: the OEM bags are.... uhm... flimsy. Mine have damage similar to what Fasteddiecopeman reported above, only on top of the case. Happened when I pulled out from between bikes and conveniently forgot I had a big a$$. One bag hit a handlebar (not even locked) and poked into the top of the case. Fixable.

That said, I like them because they don't need unsightly permanently installed racks like most aftermarket cases. They are fairly lightweight and if you add liners very practical. Kawi makes liners for them, but there's an after market version for fewer dollars (pounds, made in the UK).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts