Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent way too many hours researching various options on adding side bags to my 2020 V650. Currently I have (about) decided on the Nelson-Rigg SE3050 in black and using Givi PL4114 for the rack. One thing about using the Givi rack is that if I decide to go hard side later I am that much ahead of the game. Alternatively, I might wait for the bags to arrive and see if I can fabricate a simple support from maybe aluminum tubing. I spent all morning on the internet looking and comparing when I should have been out riding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One thing I’ll mention since you’re looking at Givi components. I went with a full Givi setup, side and top cases and crash bars. I found an Italian site, Motostorm.it that sells all that Givi stuff a good deal cheaper than Revzilla for example. Even with the international shipping, I saved about $350 iirc over ordering it all from any American site.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Another thing to consider is going with SW-Motech side racks instead of Givi. SW-M makes adapter kits so you can run Givi or a great variety of different companies' cases, while with Givi racks you're pretty much stuck with Givi/Kappa cases. SW-M has the quick-disconnect option, too. Don't get me wrong, I've owned, and still own, lots of Givi cases. Just another option to consider.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
If you want to maximize your fuel range, take a good look at the aerodynamic load of the bags you are thinking about. Big ole square bags will cut into the fuel economy, especially at higher speeds.

Since my bike was set up for sport touring I went with the more aerodynamic bags and used the rear seat for any extra items I wanted to carry.

·
Registered
247 Posts
One thing I’ll mention since you’re looking at Givi components. I went with a full Givi setup, side and top cases and crash bars. I found an Italian site, Motostorm.it that sells all that Givi stuff a good deal cheaper than Revzilla for example. Even with the international shipping, I saved about $350 iirc over ordering it all from any American site.
I second this. I bought my Give V47 top case with mounting plate, LED kit, and backrest pad from Motostorm.it about half the price of anywhere else, even after shipping. And I had it in the US in about a week.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
I have spent way too many hours researching various options on adding side bags to my 2020 V650. Currently I have (about) decided on the Nelson-Rigg SE3050 in black and using Givi PL4114 for the rack. One thing about using the Givi rack is that if I decide to go hard side later I am that much ahead of the game. Alternatively, I might wait for the bags to arrive and see if I can fabricate a simple support from maybe aluminum tubing. I spent all morning on the internet looking and comparing when I should have been out riding.
FWIW - I have a '15 V650LT while my previous BC '09 V650 had a set of aluminum TUSK saddle-bags (and my '08 V650 has the TUSK bags). BESIDES the 'weird' shape of the LT bags, they are FRAGILE! Here's a pic of the left-side LT bag from a fall-over in a campground at VERY low speed:

On the other hand - when I 'low-sided' on the Dempster Hwy just S of Inuvik on the '09

P6212188 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I was able to "FIX" the TUSK using a hammer at my camp-site that night,

P6212199 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and that fix got me about 3,000 kms over three days back-home to Kelowna!

I wish I had NOT bought the LT bags, and instead put a set of TUSKs on it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guts. Yeah, Motostorm.it does look like the place to buy Givi. If I still decide to go with what I mentioned, I will certainly order the bag rack from them. Or at least check final price with shipping. The price without shipping is significantly less!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Another happy customer of Motostorm.It here. I've purchased Givi cases and mounting stuff several times. No issues, and cheaper even than Revzilla, which is my usual go-to vendor.

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
Trust your intuition and you will never go wrong.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have both soft and hard luggage. Prefer hard cases for trips, one tail dry bag for day rides.

If you want to maximize your fuel range, take a good look at the aerodynamic load of the bags you are thinking about. Big ole square bags will cut into the fuel economy, especially at higher speeds. ...
That was the theory until my experience showed me it's not significant if detectable at all. The legs are somewhat in front of the cases, so the aero line is not that much different compared to the entire bike and body front. We are discussing a 0-10% effect, ball park figure.

3 reasons:

a) loaded, you might ride a bit slower. Not just for handling but because you are in a different mindset (typically a trip, staying put to avoid tickets). That would save fuel, along with stop and go.

b) forgetting to increase tire pressure when carrying more weight would explain some added fuel consumption. On a trip, I would add a couple psi, and the economy would be back on track (not with knobbies though...!)

c) keeping the same expectation about acceleration when loaded means one may be more aggressive on the throttle. I'm not.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I have both soft and hard luggage. Prefer hard cases for trips, one tail dry bag for day rides.

That was the theory until my experience showed me it's not significant if detectable at all. The legs are somewhat in front of the cases, so the aero line is not that much different compared to the entire bike and body front. We are discussing a 0-10% effect, ball park figure.

3 reasons:

a) loaded, you might ride a bit slower. Not just for handling but because you are in a different mindset (typically a trip, staying put to avoid tickets). That would save fuel, along with stop and go.

b) forgetting to increase tire pressure when carrying more weight would explain some added fuel consumption. On a trip, I would add a couple psi, and the economy would be back on track (not with knobbies though...!)

c) keeping the same expectation about acceleration when loaded means one may be more aggressive on the throttle. I'm not.
While I agree with what you wrote, I was referring to someone who doesn't change the way they ride just because they have luggage on or off, or are on a trip or not. If you keep all riding the same, luggage choice will affect fuel economy. Of course another factor is that many of those who tour think they need a barn door windshield and that will definitely impact fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
While I agree with what you wrote, I was referring to someone who doesn't change the way they ride just because they have luggage on or off, or are on a trip or not. If you keep all riding the same, luggage choice will affect fuel economy. Of course another factor is that many of those who tour think they need a barn door windshield and that will definitely impact fuel economy.
Barn door wind shield not only impact fuel economy , but when you ride in a tropical country and are doing cross country ride , you want air to hit your chest area or else you are baked in the heat. I install a small MRA wind deflector which can be set to allow air circulation around the chest area. Wind noise can be handled with ear plug.

This may be direct opposite to riding in a cool country, where you may need a Bard Door Windshield.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Can't help much on the luggage as I have an LT. I will say that I did have a slow motion tip over on a forest road while stopped that did not wreck the bag, though it has a bit of a patina to it now. I also have the T-Rex engine protecters along with highway pegs that kept the bike from going over as far as it could have. That protection also kept the bike a bit higher for the solo lifting exercise.

If you are traveling off road, soft bags are the ticket to help prevent broken ankles when(not if) you lose your vertical orientation. I do like those bags that Fasteddie has, I've seen them in person.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Can't help much on the luggage as I have an LT. I will say that I did have a slow motion tip over on a forest road while stopped that did not wreck the bag, though it has a bit of a patina to it now. I also have the T-Rex engine protecters along with highway pegs that kept the bike from going over as far as it could have. That protection also kept the bike a bit higher for the solo lifting exercise.

If you are traveling off road, soft bags are the ticket to help prevent broken ankles when(not if) you lose your vertical orientation. I do like those bags that Fasteddie has, I've seen them in person.
I am a fan of T-Rex Racing. Just go skid plate, engine guards, and lever guards from them for my Van Van.

Those Versys 650LT products look real beefy. I would go for the luggage guards too. They would make for a good place to lash on some extras if needed.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
One thing about using the Givi rack is that if I decide to go hard side later I am that much ahead of the game.
There are 2 versions of GIVI racks (maybe more?). I added the GIVI Trekker Outback hard cases to my LT this year. They require the GIVI CAM rack system, part number PL4114CAM. The regular PL4114 racks are for the monokey system luggage.

Which rack system you buy now will be a factor in which hard luggage you eventually get.

Fwiw, so far I really like the Outback 37l hard luggage much more than the OEM plastic luggage. If you decide to get hard bags, I happily endorse the Outback 37l.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
There are 2 versions of GIVI racks (maybe more?). I added the GIVI Trekker Outback hard cases to my LT this year. They require the GIVI CAM rack system, part number PL4114CAM. The regular PL4114 racks are for the monokey system luggage.

Which rack system you buy now will be a factor in which hard luggage you eventually get.

Fwiw, so far I really like the Outback 37l hard luggage much more than the OEM plastic luggage. If you decide to get hard bags, I happily endorse the Outback 37l.

Heres a good deal on a Trekker 33L case for sale in Texas......https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/fs-silver-givi-trekker-33-liter-top-side-case-200.122128/

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...If you are traveling off road, soft bags are the ticket to help prevent broken ankles when(not if) you lose your vertical orientation....
In case someone isn't understanding WHAT Steve's remark about a broken ankle going down w/ "hard bags" is about - IF your foot slips backwards [and UNDER the bag] as you go down - a LOT of the time you end up w/ a broken ankle!

On MY "low-side" on the Dempster, I was standing on the foot-pegs as I went down, and the TUSK pannier protected my leg, keeping my foot ON the 'peg till the bag broke loose near the end of the slide.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts