Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh :frown2:What happened to the quality of good old red shop rags? The ones you get at auto parts stores and Harbor Freight are junk now.

The material is rough as sandpaper and they don't absorb @#$%.

Anyone know where you can get the good ones?

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sigh :frown2:What happened to the quality of good old red shop rags? The ones you get at auto parts stores and Harbor Freight are junk now.

The material is rough as sandpaper and they don't absorb @#$%.

Anyone know where you can get the good ones?
Absolutely true Bob. Alot of rags have grit. I "bogart" all my decent shop rag material so I can use them for specific rag type things. I have a roll of strong paper towels for disposable, dirty jobs. Dirty then dispose. Im with Black Dog on this topic,its a matter of efficiency. Good rag material is hard to find. I make my own out of household stuff past its due date.. And I never wipe my bike, paint or plastic ,with anything other than a micro-fiber type cloth to avoid scratches. Which I always shake the grit out before using.

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
missed the good old workshop rags:frown2:, nowadays i use cotton towels for bike cleaning purpose , but it must be a well used one.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
My wife thinks I'm obsessive about guarding my decades old stash. Now I Mainly use micro fiber towels or the really heavy blue paper towel rolls.
Yep.

Don't ever drop a microfiber cloth on wood chips! They get tangled up in the weave and have to picked out manually or throw the towel away.

Microfiber for washing and polishing.

Blue paper towels for messes.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yep.

Don't ever drop a microfiber cloth on wood chips! They get tangled up in the weave and have to picked out manually or throw the towel away.

Microfiber for washing and polishing.

Blue paper towels for messes.
My wife occasionally forgets tissues in her pockets and complained about the mess in the dryer....until I threw in a micro fiber and re-ran the machine for a few minutes. All the tissue shreds ended up on the cloth for easy removal.

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts
I use to work for Cintas Uniforms and Lens Crafters is one of their customers. They have the really soft white towels with the thin red stripes. They are always replacing the towels because of discoloration so if you contact the local Cintas facility you can buy i would say about a 33gallon trash bag full of them at a cheap price....

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
My wife thinks I'm obsessive about guarding my decades old stash. Now I Mainly use micro fiber towels or the really heavy blue paper towel rolls.
I "liberated" several large bags of remnants from a company making 'warm-ups' (from their garbage) when I was a "hot rodder", PLUS I always wash stuff I no longer need, then cut or rip it into suitable sizes, and add it to that bag!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've been buying the yellow microfiber towels from Costco. They're like $0.50 each or something stupid like that.

Seriously, they're so cheap I don't feel bad about using them to clean my chain, and they do an insanely good job.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts