Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My habit is to remove most factory decals pronto when I get a new bike. On the 2015 650, has anyone removed the tank surround/fairing decals and/or swingarm decals? Any issues? I'm guessing the tank surround/fairing decals aren't under the clear-coat, but would hate to be wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
mines not a 2015 but a 08 and i have all mine removed, just peel them off on a hot day and or hit them with a heat gun

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have removed all decals from my 2015. Decals on plastics are not clear-coated, and are easily removed with a hair drier. Stickers on swingarm are more difficult, but come off with patience - I used heat, goo-gone, and a credit card to scrape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2015. My tank fairing decals removed clean and easy with my spouse's hair dryer. I admit I was nervous that I would regret the bare naked tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also remove of them. Really helps when flashing your light to get somebody to move over. I ride with a white x12 helmet wearing black and gray with a bright yellow safe vest.! They think I am a cop!! (suckers).

·
Registered
739 Posts
I stripped all mine when I refinished the bike (2008 model). I didn't think the stock graphics were anything special, and they seemed expensive to replace.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Debadging as it's called with vehicles has been a practice of mine for most of my vehicles and bikes. The best part of it is when you pull into a parking lot somewhere and someone notices your bike and then gets this puzzled look on their face. They look closely at your bike for a bit and then always ask "OK, what kind of bike is this?"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Debadging is easy on these bikes as the decals are not clear coated over. I just used a heat gun on medium and initially heated the decal over it's entire length and then started peeling it from on corner. If residue stays behind as you are peeling, then you are peeling too fast.

You need to find a balance between the amount of heat (to much and you'll melt plastic) and the speed with which you are pulling off the decal. Just get it hot enough that it's uncomfortable to your touch.

Before

After

·
Registered
286 Posts
I know this may freak some people out but over the years I've removed a lot of factory and AM decals off bikes. If you have some glue residue left, the best thing I've used to get it off is a little bit of gas (petrol) on a cotton rag. Works like magic and the glue doesn't start to get gooey and smear everywhere like some other solvents I've tried. Just a suggestion when the time comes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts