Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Back in the early Gen 1 period a lot of us debadge the Versys.
Yup! De-badged and Re-badged my Gen 1 several times for fun. I see on the Gen 3 that all the decals would come off easy, except the last pit that is on the tank, and therefor under the clearcoat. So I'll be keeping the SE badging.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would definitely add more lighting to that bike. Hard to be seen with those muted colors and diminutive size.
My helmet and all my gear is high vis yellow and retro reflective. This is not a small bike either it's quite large? The CC's do not determine the external dimensions. It's wheelbase is actually 2 inches longer than a versys 650, I really doubt the little 3/4 inch wide strip of highlighter yellow I removed did much for safety. Looks much better in my opinion.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup! De-badged and Re-badged my Gen 1 several times for fun. I see on the Gen 3 that all the decals would come off easy, except the last pit that is on the tank, and therefor under the clearcoat. So I'll be keeping the SE badging.
This was fairly easy. Stickers come right off the tank. The graphic stickers peeled off fairly easily used goo gone for the remaining adhesive. I did have to take the front fairings off and split them because the bottom decal is overlapped by the top panel it took probably an hour.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Good job. I perform decalectomies on all my bikes, except for decals that are under a clear coat. A hair dryer or careful application of a heat gun can help.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
My helmet and all my gear is high vis yellow and retro reflective. This is not a small bike either it's quite large? The CC's do not determine the external dimensions. It's wheelbase is actually 2 inches longer than a versys 650, I really doubt the little 3/4 inch wide strip of highlighter yellow I removed did much for safety. Looks much better in my opinion.
Size is relative. I get it. My bikes all get extra conspicuity lighting to help make them appear larger and closer to most brains.

"Why Drivers may fail to see motorcycles" Why drivers may fail to see motorcycles in plain sight

Not only do I add the extra lighting, but I weave in my lane when around other vehicles to help get their attention. When you look closely, you find that motorcyclists who consistently speed, and motorcyclists who ride the same way the majority of drivers drive, they are more likely to be involved in the "right of way" wrecks.

I have noticed more lighting on a motorcycle long before I notice hi-viz gear, and I also have noticed that Hi-Viz gear works better in overcast days than it does in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Just for reference the diminutively small Versys-X between a crotch rocket and a 900cc Triumph. View attachment 180297
...and your point?

those are small bikes too and can benefit from extra lighting.

in my area, crotch rockets and cruiser riders with little experience are in the majority of violating right of way wrecks.

😷🙃😀

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just for reference the diminutively small Versys-X between a crotch rocket and a 900cc Triumph. View attachment 180297
Correct, the 300 is not a small bike, infact according to Kawasaki's own specifications the Versys 300, 650 and 1000 are within 1" of each other comparing seat height.
But agree also that you can't go wrong with some extra lighting up front.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just making the point that it's not small, a GS1250 is two inches longer and the same seat height what makes a big bike lol?

I dunno. I hear you on the safety stuff just sayin.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks great! Kind of wishing I could black out my candy green 300
Thanks! Perhaps you could consider a wrap if you really wanted to, I am curious about a product 3M has that's black during the day and retro reflective white at night.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks! Perhaps you could consider a wrap if you really wanted to, I am curious about a product 3M has that's black during the day and retro reflective white at night.
While the product is great, it isnt super flexible to be used effectively as a wrap. I used it on the back of my hard bags and had to cut it into strips and use a heat gun (lightly) to form to gentle curves.

·
Registered
2018 Versys-X 300
21 Posts
This is cool to see. I don't mind the decals so much but just got my first bike and the Versys decal had been removed, so it's cool to compare the before and after. Mine still has the Kawasaki detail on it but I really like the sleek, all black, unbranded look.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Correct, the 300 is not a small bike, infact according to Kawasaki's own specifications the Versys 300, 650 and 1000 are within 1" of each other comparing seat height.
But agree also that you can't go wrong with some extra lighting up front.
I've just posted a How To on updating the Versys X300 to all LED that dramatically increases the all the lights on the bike to be way more visible. My post (and link to Youtube video to walk you through it all) (8) Versys X300 LED 2017 - 2021 Full upgrade to LED bulbs and what you need to know | Kawasaki Versys Forum

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I was just making the point that it's not small, a GS1250 is two inches longer and the same seat height what makes a big bike lol?

I dunno. I hear you on the safety stuff just sayin.
Think about car drivers looking at oncoming bikes. Length doesn't matter. Width, and the appearance of width is what matters. Lights mounted wide on the engine guards helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts