Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always done my own motorcycle maintenance. But today I stopped at the Kawi dealership to order the relay to install the power outlet and they had a sign on the wall that said "Motorcycle or ATV oil change, filter, and lube: $133". I mean...WTF??? I'm sure that's not even using synthetic oil.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think it's more like $35 -$42 at my dealer, but I do my own like you.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
2015 / Dealer Oil Change

I've always done my own motorcycle maintenance. But today I stopped at the Kawi dealership to order the relay to install the power outlet and they had a sign on the wall that said "Motorcycle or ATV oil change, filter, and lube: $133". I mean...WTF??? I'm sure that's not even using synthetic oil.
Guy I rode with last summer, same 2015 as my bike $150 for a oil change in Toronto Ontario area. I did a post way back then, the guy couldn't figure how to get the plastic off. FastEddie responded to the fact it is in the owners manual. My personal thought was if you are strapped for funds and you pay that to change the oil , you really can't afford to own a bike. Same guy had a unfortunate incident and hit scrap metal doing over 100 clicks, damaged the front tire and rim, another $1k down the drain.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Guy I rode with last summer, same 2015 as my bike $150 for a oil change in Toronto Ontario area. I did a post way back then, the guy couldn't figure how to get the plastic off. FastEddie responded to the fact it is in the owners manual. My personal thought was if you are strapped for funds and you pay that to change the oil , you really can't afford to own a bike. Same guy had a unfortunate incident and hit scrap metal doing over 100 clicks, damaged the front tire and rim, another $1k down the drain.
:exactly:

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
jdrocks posted-up pics of the '09 V he's using to make his latest "gravel-runner", bought from a fellow who had ALL his servicing done at the dealer. He'd paid for new sprockets and chain, but there were NO teeth on the countershaft sprocket, plus the area was 'gummed-up' w/ chain lube, so quite OBVIOUSLY that dealer had cheated him!...:thumbdown: - :thumbdown:

As long as I'm able - I do all my own maintenance...!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
282 Posts
A lot of that is labor. I know the shops around my area are in the area of 75-90 bucks an hour for labor rates. That's why it's handy to be able to do the basics or at least have a friend that can show you how.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I can get the oil changed in my diesel pick-up (full service with lube) for about the same or less. That's with 12 quarts of oil and a real big filter.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Go to a Harley dealer for their required maint. service. change oil. engine, transmissio, and primary(5 qts. total), filter, lube, spark plugs and inspection. $450. I do it myself runs less than $50.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I can get the oil changed in my diesel pick-up (full service with lube) for about the same or less. That's with 12 quarts of oil and a real big filter.
That's because you don't have a master diesel technician changing your oil. I hope you pull the dipstick and verify when they are done.

Unless it is a huge volume motorcycle dealership, the same tech that rebuilds your engine, changes your oil. I do all my own maintenance as well. If I couldn't, I wouldn't own but one very simple motorcycle.

·
Registered
970 Posts
That's because you don't have a master diesel technician changing your oil. I hope you pull the dipstick and verify when they are done.

Unless it is a huge volume motorcycle dealership, the same tech that rebuilds your engine, changes your oil. I do all my own maintenance as well. If I couldn't, I wouldn't own but one very simple motorcycle.
I do have a master mechanic changing my oil...........ME...........I generally don't pay someone else to do what I can unless I REALLY don't want to do it. In the case of oil changes, I don't mind doing them.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I do have a master mechanic changing my oil...........ME...........I generally don't pay someone else to do what I can unless I REALLY don't want to do it. In the case of oil changes, I don't mind doing them.

I was going by your post which sounded like you were talking about bringing in for service. most auto service centers for cars have a lower paid oil and tire guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts