Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to know if someone have found a thermometer
(air temperature) which can be installed on the V650 dashboard :
  • at the gear indicator place, which is no longer used since the latest V650 (2018 ?)
  • which is readable at night (backlight, oled, ...).

I've found this part at Amazon, but it's no longer available.
If you know a similar product, it's would be great to share the reference !

Thanks. See you later
Emmanuel

·
Registered
751 Posts
if you are willing to DIY a bit with 1" pipe adapters and epoxy, this is my solution:
using

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
I've always connected stuff like THAT thru a relay, and powered ON thru the ignition, using the DRLs as the 'switching' current.

·
Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you are willing to DIY a bit with 1" pipe adapters and epoxy, this is my solution:
Hi,
I saw this little device, but failed to realize that it can be adapted to the Versys dashboard !
Two functions in one (Voltage & Temperature).
It looks really great.
Do you know if it is "waterproof". I mean : does it resist to rain ?

Thanks. See you later
Emmanuel

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've always connected stuff like THAT thru a relay, and powered ON thru the ignition, using the DRLs as the 'switching' current.
I did the same. My installation method and relatively inexpensive parts used are shown in this thread:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Do you know if it is "waterproof". I mean : does it resist to rain ?
I essentially expoxied everything precisely to make it waterproof.
It's important to use some 2 compound epoxy, not some amazing goop or silicon because these only cure with air and I used a lot to pour in holes and cracks. Also I prefer a solid than a rubberry assembly... Don't think hot glue gun; the dashboard can get hot, I recommend only epoxy.

This was a 4 steps glueing if I recall (lense to casing, module in casing, pipe junction behind module, pipe filing) so 4 nights to cure each step.

I cut off the lighter adapter stem thus I don't use the fuse in it. Need to do soldering too of course to get the 12v wires far out (maybe 12" - better coil the excess than lack a few inches). Neat little project. I'm rather proud of how it came out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I essentially expoxied everything precisely to make it waterproof.
It's important to use some 2 compound epoxy, not some amazing goop or silicon because these only cure with air and I used a lot to pour in holes and cracks. Also I prefer a solid than a rubberry assembly... Don't think hot glue gun; the dashboard can get hot, I recommend only epoxy.

This was a 4 steps glueing if I recall (lense to casing, module in casing, pipe jucntion behind module, pipe filing) so 4 nights to cure each step.

I cut off the lighter adapter stem thus I don't use the fuse in it. Need to do soldering too of course to get the 12v wires far out (maybe 12" - better coil the excess than lack a few inches). Neat little project. I'm rather proud of how it came out.
sorry, i am not really getting it. why do you need any epoxy? those round voltmeters fits straight into the hole on the right side of the bike (originally reserved for the gear indicator). the voltmeter alone is waterproof.

·
Registered
751 Posts
sorry, i am not really getting it. why do you need any epoxy? those round voltmeters fits straight into the hole on the right side of the bike (originally reserved for the gear indicator). the voltmeter alone is waterproof.
You lost the sub thread. We are talking about the lighter-adapter version to DYI into a dashboard one.

The left hole is 28mm and the right hole is 34mm.
Theses so-called ready-to-install voltmeter are 29mm and fit in neither, that's why I made my own.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You lost the sub thread. We are talking about the lighter-adapter version to DYI into a dashboard one.

The left hole is 28mm and the right hole is 34mm.
Theses so-called ready-to-install voltmeter are 29mm and fit in neither, that's why I made my own.
If indeed the right hole is bigger, the voltmeter will still fit. the one I mentioned is around 28mm in diameter, but the top collar is wider, and should sit snugly on top of the hole; and even if it was not wide enough, one can add a washer, even one made from the cap that is already there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts