1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's just my pet snake Reggie!
You pack Reggie on your bike? I keep mine in my trousers.:grin2:

Riding in Mexico backcountry in the late '60s I encountered a large thick snake lying across the two-track road, head and tail hidden in the scrub, apparently sleeping. Turned the bike around and took a longer route.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You pack Reggie on your bike? I keep mine in my trousers.:grin2:

Riding in Mexico backcountry in the late '60s I encountered a large thick snake lying across the two-track road, head and tail hidden in the scrub, apparently sleeping. Turned the bike around and took a longer route.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Here's a pic of a 6.5' long "diamond-back" rattler that I took from about 4' away, just OUTSIDE its 'strike-range'.... As big around as my forearm.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Then there was the other dude in India that recently had a Tiger try to hop on his bike ... while he was riding it haha.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ran over a snake once on my KLR but didn't know it until I felt the bump and looked down. Don't know what kind it was because I was going too fast to tell and didn't go back to see if it was ok... Somehow it didn't seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would have peed myself.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
230 Posts
Holy crap!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Come to New Zealand,there are no snakes here,at all.
Do you have an extra bike that I can borrow/rent? That is a serious question, BTW.

Kiwi land is on my bucket list.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Critter stories.

Wife and I were riding with another couple, them helmetless on a HD, us on the c-10 Connie. The passenger on the other bike had some sort of bug hit her in the ear and crawled into her ear canal. Went to a fire?paramedic station. They tried to get it out using hydrogen peroxide. The bug just tried to wiggle in farther, resulting in a lot of pain. Wound up at the hospital emergency room. The swear words coming out of the exam/work area were classic as she is from the UK. I no longer have to argue with my wife about her desire to ride without a helmet.

On the way to work one morning at about 4am. Two lane back road. I saw something bright across about half the road. It turned out to be a 6 foot gator. I was able to go behind it with plenty of room to spare.

I have a friend in the Miami area that was attacked on the haul road north of Fairbanks by a moose a few years ago. Charged him and then went and stomped him after he landed off the bike. He was doing about 30mph at the time. His GF at the time, now wife, was following in a rental Jeep. She's a trauma nurse and was able to revive him, the moose had stomped on his neck and closed his airway. He was airlifted to Anchorage, then again to Sky Harbor in Seattle. He eventually (mostly) recovered, long haul. He still rides a bit but mostly does bicycle touring now. Him and his wife are both awesome folks.

Reactions: Fastoman

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you have an extra bike that I can borrow/rent? That is a serious question, BTW.

Kiwi land is on my bucket list.
Only the one bike,not for rent.There are many bike hire firms here.If you do come I would take you on a local tour of the best roads,the Coromandel Loop etc.The advantage of local knowledge,I speak the language,and have an intimate knowledge of the local beer.

Happy Riding

1 - 20 of 22 Posts