Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Following up on this chain. I now have about 16,000 km on the chain and sprockets. The past couple months has seen about 80 km of highway commuting 5 days a week, plus other riding that includes gravel side roads.

The chain now has multiple stiff links and is chewing up and spitting out the “Z” rings. I’ve noticed a vibration when under load, such as accelerating or cruising at speed on the highway. I originally thought it was tire balance, but now know is the chain dying.

I’m less than pleased with the life of this chain, especially considering the cost and supposed strength.

Time to shop for another chain and sprockets. There has to be something good out there, but what?…
I have had better experience with EK chains than DID. Provided good life on my V650 and am now running it on my V1K (EK Motor Sport "EK Chain 525 ZVX3 Series Chain - 120 Links - Black). Only have ~4K mikes on V1K chain so can't say how long it will last. Sorry, don't remember which EK chain I used on the 650 but it was definitely one of the "best" chains offered.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm in my 4th transmission set (last chain installed DID 520VX3) and I never saw that happening to a chain... My guess is something is (rapidly!) deteriorating the X-rings rubber... Maybe some component in the new oil you're using?... Or (going out a on limb here because I live in a sunny country) road salt?...

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
I'm in my 4th transmission set (last chain installed DID 520VX3) and I never saw that happening to a chain... My guess is something is (rapidly!) deteriorating the X-rings rubber... Maybe some component in the new oil you're using?... Or (going out a on limb here because I live in a sunny country) road salt?...
I am running EK-SRX-2 chain. DID is absolute garbage. That is what was on my 2015 from the factory, something like 11,000 KM. But I had stiff links right when I got the bike. I have heard horror stories about DID chain.

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
I lube my chain every 500 km or within 500 . I was using chain saver but transitioned to the stuff @weljoe2001 was using.

·
Registered
131 Posts
OK... Not claiming anything on behalf of DID here... After all, with 89K kms/55K miles on my 2010 gen2 V, I'm on my 4th DID chain (recently installed)... I know it depends (alot!) on your riding but, what kind of milage you (or anybody else that run EKs) are getting out of they're chains?... Next time I might get an EK...

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
More than double what I got on my 07 and 2015 DID chains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can add a similar experience to onewizard and the OP 16VGTIDave. I replaced my OEM chain with a DID on my 09 V650 and it started spitting z-rings within about 8-10k miles with regular cleaning and maintenance. I swapped on a EK chain and when I sold the bike it was still in great shape 10k miles later. I will definitely be replacing the OEM chain on my new gen3 with an EK chain when the time comes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just to pour petrol on the fire
2 years ago when I got my bike I replaced the chain with an EK one and got about 20.000 KM before it started to act up
I replaced that chain a month or two ago with a DID Chain & new front and rear sprockets
I have probably done about 1500 KM and cleaned and oiled at least 4 times and there are already stiff links
Could possibly be down to my Riding style not downshifting as much as I probably should as I ride through the wicklow Mountains labouring the engine and drive train
Chain was absolutly not over tightend as I am well aware the versys likes a loose chain
Not impressed at all & can't see myself getting another DID Chain again

Also I have often seen online the JT dampend front sprocket with the word outside on the rubber

I have twice bought that sprocket and on this side of the pond it just says the part number on one side and just a ring of dots on the other side anyone any Idea why the might tell you guys which way round but leave us to guess? :)
Twice I have installed with only writing ( part number ) facing out
J

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry I can´t help you there, Gerinemo... I also mount JT sprockets but not the dampened ones... That´s because I've been running 16T from day 1, and JT doesn't have a 16T dampened front for the V... At least I coudn't find it...

On a side question (sorry OP for deviating from the main subject)... What other 16T dampened front sprockets, of good proven quality, are there in the market for a gen2 V?... Beside the OEM ones that IMHO are way overpriced...

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yep... That´s a gen2, like mine... And, like you said, even if it doesn't fit, for that price not much loss...

Thank you again, Gerinemo... Really appreciate the effort (y)... This is what forums like this are (mainly) all about...

So, next transmission change (about 20K kms/12K miles from now as I just fitted a new one), a different chain (EK) and front sprocket... Always learning... Thanks guys (y)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
After reading the horror stories I thought I should inspect my dreaded DID VX2 chain. I cleaned it with iPone chain cleaner (excellent) and a Grunge Brush (also excellent) and then lubed using Dupont Chain Wax.

After 17,200km it has no tight links and no damaged X rings. The sprockets show little to no wear- they were replaced with the chain- 16 tooth rubber-mounted front and standard steel rear.
I have never had to adjust it since the installation. I lube it when I remember to, likely every 5-600km or so. This is the second time I've cleaned it this year.

When should I expect it to disintegrate? ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
When should I expect it to disintegrate? ;)
Anytime soon?... Like that home appliance you bought, that comes up with some kind of issue exactly one day after the 2 years warranty expires?... Just kidding, Smiley ;)...

My stance on this from here on...

How can we, common users without acess to hi-tec measuring equipment and/or industry insight, judge the material quality and/or factoring process of a product, in order to know if it's gold or rubish?... Other than gathering other users experience/opinion, I don't know how...

Be it in this one or other motorcycle forums, the opinions on DIDs differ... Being all thing equal, maybe it just boils down to your riding style and maintenace routines, I don't kow...

I think I'm not an aggressive rider... I like to squeeze it a bit in the occasional twisty, sure way to put a smile on my face!! :p... Other than that, I'm more of a cruise/touring kind of rider... No wheelies, no offroad, etc...

Fact is, my DIDs don't last me more than 20K kms (25K at the best)... And yes, they're routinely cleaned, oiled and kept within specs adjustments... I don't have X-rings spitting out, just chain stretching beyond adjustment...

Just for the sake of it, and after 4 DIDs, think I'll try an EK next time...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts