Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the review on webBikeWorld.com, I decided to take the leap and order the pair of custom fitted Police Kevlar Pants from Cycleport. I was tired of spending several hundred dollars that just didn't fit quite right, especially for my 30" inseam. Here is the review link:

http://http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/motoport/police-kevlar-pants/

I was not disappointed with my purchase. I have never had a pair of motorcycle pants fit so well and with the armouring positioned just right. Even with the time it took for me to send them a pair of jeans, marked with the position of my knees while on the bike, the entire time for the pants to be delivered was less than four weeks. I cannot say enough about the comfort of these pants, and I think the $329 price tag (sale price) was more than worth it...highly recommended.

·
Registered
88 Posts
pants

I got a pair of alpinestars air-flo textile pants on ebay for $139.99..I'm 6 ft 215 lbs...the XXLG fit perfect over my clothes..

·
Registered
603 Posts
Cycleport/Motoport Riding Gear Saved Me

The accident happened two days ago, when I had to stop abruptly to avoid a collision. I was traveling about 40-45 mph, went down on my (and my motorcycle’s) right side very quickly (like a snap roll). The motorcycle slid toward the left, and I was thrown and slid toward the right – all on asphalt.

The spill happened in less than a second; the sliding seemed like it took a few seconds before I finally stopped. So, I was thrown quickly and hard to the asphalt at 40-45 mph and slid to a stop; all on my front and right side. When I finally stopped sliding, my right knee felt a little tender, and my right shoulder was a little stiff and sore. No body parts were broken. No skin was broken. I was able to get up, without assistance, walk over to my motorcycle and with help raise it up and took it out of the road.

To get a feel for the impact: The right crash bar and right hand guard took most of the impact. About 3/8” of the crash bar was ground away from sliding. A similar amount was ground off the right (aluminum and plastic) hand guard. A heavy aluminum bracket that mounts the foot peg and rear brake was snapped in half. So, a lot of energy was absorbed by the bike in the impact when it went down.

The impact was hard and the energy absorbed significant. But I was able to get up, walk back to the motorcycle, get it up (with help) and was then, in about an hour, able to temporarily repair the broken foot-peg bracket and ride the bike back home (about a hundred miles away).

My survival of this accident was due entirely to the Motoport armored kevlar jacket, pants; and the full-face crash helmet I was wearing. The Kevlar jacket and pants, along with all the Motoport armor absorbed all the damage from impact and sliding. The riding clothes will need some repair, but that’ll be a lot easer than the hospital care I would have needed had I not worn the clothing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Further detail: My motorcycle is a 2009 Versys (green), 2700 miles, H&B crash bars, Barkbuster/Storm hand guards. I've had the V since last December, most of the miles since spring.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a GP2 jacket and street jeans in stretch kevlar, and an older 3/4 length jacket and overpants, bought used, also stretch kevlar. I sent the 3/4 length jacket in for quad armor when Wayne was introducing it at a bargain price.

I think it's the best stuff available.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Another tale of the HB crash guards saving a bike. They really do work very well! Glad you're OK! Pics?

·
Administrator
8,311 Posts
Further detail: My motorcycle is a 2009 Versys (green), 2700 miles, H&B crash bars, Barkbuster/Storm hand guards. I've had the V since last December, most of the miles since spring.
Sorry to hear on your accident and trust all is well with you and what is estimated damage to your V - $$.

Hope you return to active ridding soon.:goodluck:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Oui, c'est mesh.
Were you one of the few that he experimented on with the quad?
Yes, I sent in an older 3/4 length stretch kevlar jacket I bought used, and got quad armor for like really cheap. The picture of the quad armor on the cherry table that is on his site is one I uploaded to advrider.

The jacket feels really bulletproof, a bit bulky.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Glad to hear you came out ok. Another testament for wearing proper gear. Do you have any pics of the gear after the accident?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Fastoman, Sharrison,
$59 for the right foot-peg bracket, $8 for the Storm plastic hand-guard cover, $107 for the right H&B crashbar. About $60 to repair my jacket and pants.

My riding gear should be back from repair tomorrow, so I'll be riding soon.

My camera was lost in my recent move, so no pictures.

Thanks for your interest and kind thoughts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kinda fun to break footpegs instead of bones, hunh?
You should see the other side of the bike - I lowsided getting up there. 45 mph through a blind hair-pin ... hello Mr. Fallen Tree Branch.

Expensive, but it works.

You want after-action pics, Harrison? There ya go! (That's an oil smudge on the left thigh.) It was wet, so maybe less abrasion.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My riding gear returned late yesterday. Cycleport did a great job with the repairs. Did 60 miles today. Was nice to be riding again. I gave the cars a little more room whenever I could. Great riding weather in northern NJ today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.