Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems a very nice article to me too.After all,beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.One con that bothered me is slower than a 1200 Sportster.I've owned and ridden 2 1200's and i'm not so sure that is fact.My buddy's V had no trouble keeping up with me on my 1800C VTX last week.And he pushed me around in the twisty stuff!After a little getting used to finding the pegs and controls under my ass,i loved riding the thing.The little 650 power plant amazed me!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'd agree overall.

The "tall" thing is easily remedied by seat work, a suspension lowering kit or both.

I was talking to a guy at the Vanilla Bean Cafe last weekend and he commented that a bike like mine is "easy to live with" and went on to describe some of his bikes (Italian and German) that were fun, when they worked, but were also an expensive and hassle-rich pain in the butt. He said something pretty close to this: "I'd rather be married to my best friend who's ready whenever I am than to a hot temperamental bitch who's fun but only on her terms."

What he said.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just got done reading the article and thought it was fair, except indicating it was not a looker. I love my "ugly" 2010......
:eek:penarms:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Suns it up petty well to me. I wouldn't can it ugly...let's just say the Versys has lots of personalty ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
A fun read ... although I must have poor eyesight because I thought it was a beautiful bike when I layed eyes on it. Contrary to the article, I think the height attracts riders who are long legged and are short on options. Yeah, I guess I could have gone BMW but everything I read told me the V had more spunk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What a stupid comment to say it is slower than a 1200cc Bike..But that is what the Harley world is about. Compare anything else with half the CC's to them is fair.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have ridden two versi? Got to run both well. Hard to believe slower than a sportster. At least in my experience with sportsters. Throw in one real world curve and I am sure of it.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The 4.86 second 0-60 mph, 12.96 sec 1/4 mile @ 99.15 mph trap speed do not represent the Versys' true performance. As stated in the test: "Although the clutch did not fade, launching the Versys during the 1/4 mile testing proved a challenge. If launch rpm were too low, the engine would bog, and if too high, would result in an instantaneous wheelie. Granted, drag racing was never intended to be one of this motorcycle's strong suits, but I do wish that the results of this testing could have been a better reflection of the parallel twin's performance."

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/200711-versystest.pdf

"The engine re-tuning (compared to Ninja 650R) results in 59.4 hp at 8400 rpm on the Area P-No Limits Dynojet dyno, down 5 ponies from the 650R's 65.7 hp at 8600 rpm. The Ninja also offers bigger torque numbers (45.5 to 42.0 ft-lbs), but it can't match the wonderfully flat and consistent curve of the Versys. Torque output from the retuned engine is almost identical from 3800 rpm all the way to 8100 rpm. It also crosses the 40 ft-lb. mark by 5800 rpm, while the peakier Ninja has to wait until almost 6500 revs."

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2008-kawasaki-versys-road-test-71476.html

Versys ('08) 5/08

1/4 mile: 12.40 sec @ 104.1 mph
60-80 mph: 4.45 sec
80-100 mph: 6.2 sec
top speed (radar): 109.7 mph (177.86 km/h)

http://www.sportrider.com/performance_numbers/146_motorcycle_performance_numbers/kawasaki.html

http://www.sportrider.com/dyno/146_sportbike_dyno_charts/photo_21.html

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There are so few roads that go straight for 1/4 mile in my part of the world that such measures aren't all that relevant. Clearly there are better choices than a Versys for the stop-light gran prix.

There are a great many roads in my part of the world that curve and curve, like the one in Zatx's signature ( ^ ). The Versys seems particularly well-suited to those.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What a bunch of heretics ...

Comparing our great Versys to that ugly mug of Aztek ...
Beurk !

LOP
I think my Versys is superbly sharp-looking, and I never thought the Aztek was ugly at all. If I had an Aztek I would rebadge it BMW and put a smaller headlight on the left side!

:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
This write-up seems to be full of "sound bites".
Comparing it to a car, another motorcycle almost twice it's displacement. . . .
I mean a 1200 Sportster is kinda' like kissing my sister, It just doesn't do much for me.

I'm glad I don't subscribe to that rag.

·
Registered
177 Posts
mine gets one of two remarks, fugly and quiet or very sharp. Few weeks back I was parked at the grocery store next to a dressed Harley, couple in their late 70's came out and stood there for a few minutes admiring mine, both told me it was "very sharp looking" before they walked off. It's my co-workers with their whining and noisey cruisers who call it ugly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts