Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found a cheap take off and have decided to hack it open. No wonder its so heavy-Theres 2 skins!! and the triple loop exhaust!! Any suggestions on what ti take out?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The easiest way to de-restrict it a bit would be to cut off the outlet pipe's reduced entrance, as seen on top of pic where it leads to the muffler outlet tip. You might also be able to remove the cap ( ] ) on the tranfer tube as seen at bottom of pic. The catalyst's core is very hard to gut out, but you might be able to cut off its perforated outlet cap ( ] ) as seen on the right...

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do happen to have access to a plasma cuter-Should make it easy enough. Im thinking of takin all the tubing out, then adding a preferated core from inlet to outlet with steel wool stuffed in the void as packing. How does rthat sound?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I do happen to have access to a plasma cuter-Should make it easy enough. Im thinking of takin all the tubing out, then adding a preferated core from inlet to outlet with steel wool stuffed in the void as packing. How does rthat sound?
That would be perfect, and it would eliminate any chances of having a rattle box.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think you should use some muffler packing material, like for a dirt bike. I think it would last longer than steel wool.

Luke

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yeah, Magnaflow's straight flow muffler is remakably quiet and durable with a stainless steel perforated core and stainless steel wool covering an 'acoustical absorbent material' superior to fiberglass which many other manufacturers use. (I'd like to know what it is and if it's available)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would also have suggested run a perforated pipe from inlet to outlet with exhaust packing they use for 4 stroke off road bikes .

Try keep the perforated pipe the same diameter as the inlet pipe .

·
Registered
139 Posts
The first chamber the exhaust enters is the cat. I'd obviously cut that out of the loop, the second chamber, returning the xhaust forward is a noise cancelling resonator the entrance to chamber three acts as a baffle and chamber 3 likely has internal baffles. If it was me, I'd simply rip open chamber 1 right at the entrance, so the exhaust enters right into chamber three. You could remove chamber 1 & 2 alltogether to reduce weight.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updated pic

Ok- Here is an Idea i am formulating. See the pic for the cut points-but only removing 2 elbow and notching the tube where marked. Will still get some circulation through system that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
i thought about doing this to my muffler, but after seeing one cut open, i'm wondering if it'll be worth it, you have to get the skin welded air tight so no leaks are heard, and it may make the muffler rattle and bang...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i thought about doing this to my muffler, but after seeing one cut open, i'm wondering if it'll be worth it, you have to get the skin welded air tight so no leaks are heard, and it may make the muffler rattle and bang...just my 2 cents
Thats why I bought this one on the internet!! If I screw it up I still have my oem. I did buy a muzzy btw tho. This is just more or less an experiment. I figure If you mod this yourself on an oem- depending on how fancy you get. you could easily spend up to $100 on parts. I priced a perferated tube and that is about $15.00 shipped, add packing for $10-20 and youve already got $30 spent + labor. Bottom line to mess with this is just probably best to cut some tubes out and help the bike breath better. Or buy one of 08versys kits for $135.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts