Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have been watching a lot of Discovery turbo and all and one of my favourites is Biker Buildoff. Its kinda old production ( I think its 06 ). I am truly fascinated at the level of custom and detail. Simply jaw dropping.

These bikes are built from scratch. Then they are ridden on public roads for hundreds of miles to some biker meet for voting and so on.

My question is... Is it that simple and easy to make your own vehicle and drive them on public roads ? Dont it needs to go for inspection and registration and so on ?

Here in Malaysia there is no such thing as custom made vehicle. Heavily modified vehicles yes...but built from scratch and on the road...no way...

Just an interested motor head.......If anyone replies....cheers.....woo hooo.. :) :) :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
In the US, Iowa . . .it's not too hard. Just need a headlight (1 on a motorcycle, 2 on 4 wheel vehicles), and a taillight (same rules as headlights) and a horn. 4 wheel vehicles also need seatbelts and a floor. There is a decibel limit for exhaust, but I have just put quiet mufflers on and then changed them after they get certified. I've built 3 motorcycles from salvaged frames (have to remove VIN# due to cutting/welding, and legally so it isn't licensed with the old bike's salvage condition) and the state just issues a new one. Same goes for trailers. They just give you a new VIN number. I haven't made a 4 wheel vehicle yet, but motorcycles seem to be easy to build. If this is confusing, just send me a PM i'll try to answer your questions.

Also, American choppers are just cake decorators. If you give me $10,000 I can build you a bike like they do. Just slap some prebuilt controls on it, weld some handlebars, send this out, send that out, cover it in bondo. It takes real skill to make a bike that doesn't need mounds of bondo. I'll admit I use a little bondo on tanks, but I like to show off my welding.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motopshycho,

Thanks for the clarification. I am not interested to build a bike. :) :) :) ...Even if I do, I cant import them to our country. They need certification and so on....... Very interesting laws you have there in US. Just found out California enforces bikers to wear helmets...ahahahha.....

Awesome you have the skill to weld and build your own bikes. Envy....envy..... :) :) :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts