Please look what you can do with yours Kawasaki Versys:
youtu.be/Ivk-7GJM_8k

I'm new here, so I can't post images :crying:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pictures :grin2:

Modification stylized on Supermarine Spitfire fighter aircraft used by the Polish Pilots in British Royal Air Force during second Word War.
All changes are designed in 3D software.

Main changes:
  • original frame construction - small changes, tail cut off
  • original fuel tank
  • original seat changed a bit
  • original wheels, with additional panels
  • new cowling - sheet metal fabricated, riveted connections
  • accessories like lights, signals, handlebar, mirrors are available on the market
  • sets designed from scratch
I hope you enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Definitely a young man bike.

For us old farts the comfort duration would be about 2 laps around the block. If you are younger than 50 you probably could make it to the nearest pub for a tall cold one.

My old carcus requires the comfort of the stock setup as my average ride is usually north of 100 miles.

It is fun to look at none the less. Reminds me of the new Kawi 900 cafe racer look.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would like to understand the process of making the body parts like fairings ,etc. from your computer simulation. How would you translate it to 3-D printer algorithms? Would you have to make it first from clay then physically scan or could you do this directly from your digitization? Nice tribute to the mighty Spitfire....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right! I didn’t build this bike yet.
It’s not only rendering, I prepared execution design - see atached photos!

Process was’t easy:
  1. My Versys was skaned 3D - youtu.be/XeJSSgEPD-g
  2. make 3D models
  3. assembly 3D files
  4. sketch changes on paper
  5. design changes in 3D
  6. finding matching market elements (handlebars, headlight, mirrors ...)
  7. preparing execution drawings
  8. final graphics

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,436 Posts
Looking good, tho' my old back couldn't handle that riding position.

Just watched a movie about the Polish pilots on RAF 303 Sqn in WW2 - the Brits really screwed them at the end of the War, when they made them leave, back to the Soviet-run country.

:mad:

:sorry:

:badidea:

·
Registered
603 Posts
sit
Just watched a movie about the Polish pilots on RAF 303 Sqn in WW2 - the Brits really screwed them at the end of the War, when they made them leave, back to the Soviet-run country.
And it wasnt just Polish pilots that Stalin would execute .My mom was 15 in Russia when the Nazis invaded her town,Smolensk. She spent the war doing slave labour. A few years ago,after she had passed on,I did a documents search of her time in Germany during the war. I found her Red Cross papers. She lied about being Russian to avoid being sent back to Russia as the Stalin regime executed anyone who was a POW held by the Nazis. Or you got Soviet slave labour if you were healthy. Canada took her in(I found the actual ship manifest that took her to Halifax) but she could never go back to Russia. She married a Canadian and she wouldnt talk much about her experience during the war,she survived. Never thought about it till recently but now am proud to say I am the son of a war refugee. And thank you to all those Polish pilots flying Spitfires,I understand that they were fearless and highly motivated.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
You are right! I didn’t build this bike yet.
It’s not only rendering, I prepared execution design - see atached photos!

Process was’t easy:
  1. My Versys was skaned 3D - youtu.be/XeJSSgEPD-g
  2. make 3D models
  3. assembly 3D files
  4. sketch changes on paper
  5. design changes in 3D
  6. finding matching market elements (handlebars, headlight, mirrors ...)
  7. preparing execution drawings
  8. final graphics

So, are you going to build it?

Is this what you do for your career or is this just a very detailed and technical hobby?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And it wasnt just Polish pilots that Stalin would execute .My mom was 15 in Russia when the Nazis invaded her town,Smolensk. She spent the war doing slave labour. A few years ago,after she had passed on,I did a documents search of her time in Germany during the war. I found her Red Cross papers. She lied about being Russian to avoid being sent back to Russia as the Stalin regime executed anyone who was a POW held by the Nazis. Or you got Soviet slave labour if you were healthy. Canada took her in(I found the actual ship manifest that took her to Halifax) but she could never go back to Russia. She married a Canadian and she wouldnt talk much about her experience during the war,she survived. Never thought about it till recently but now am proud to say I am the son of a war refugee. And thank you to all those Polish pilots flying Spitfires,I understand that they were fearless and highly motivated.
War - devil time! :mad:

So, are you going to build it?

Is this what you do for your career or is this just a very detailed and technical hobby?
I would like to build it, but I need my Versys to comon ride!
I don't have enough money to buy a second one and modify it. :crying:

I'm a designer - sanitary plumbing, HVAC and gas installations.
This "cafe racer Versys" is my hobby. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
19,436 Posts
...And thank you to all those Polish pilots flying Spitfires,I understand that they were fearless and highly motivated....
My information is that the pilots in RAF 303 Sqn shot down the MOST enemy aircraft of ANY RAF sqn during WW2!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts