Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK here's the exhaust (slip on) I built today. I shot a quick vid with my digital camera, sounds pretty close to the actual sound (definitely sounds better in person but sounds pretty darn good in the vid if I do say so.) I'm going to get a chrome band to use for a clamp strap, or go by the exhaust shop and have a couple mounts welded to the muffler so I don't have to use the strap. If I do the latter it will look more like stock with the exception of the tip. Comments ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBatsBGItiE

EDIT: Now selling everything packaged together and ready to bolt on.

http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=693

OK, everybody that is going to build one or that has bought one, here's a good tip.

When you install the tip, use some Loctite on the screws to keep them from backing out. Alternately, when you get the tip in the position you want, mark the outlet of the muffler where the set screws for the tip touch, and drill holes through the muffler outlet in the same locations. Then you can run the tip mount screws all the way through into the muffler outlet. If you like, you can get some appropriate sized nuts to further strengthen the tip mount. Even if you do this, I would still recommend using Loctite to keep the screws in place.

The reason I put this here is that I've heard from a couple of guys that made their own setups that have lost tips due to the screws coming loose. I put loctite on mine when I installed my tip and it has been holding on fine. Ultimately the very best way to mount it is run the screws all the way through the muffler and put nuts on the back side, and use Loctite as well. I am leaving that decision up to you. :thumb:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks and sounds good.

Does it save any weight?
Thanks! Yes it definitely saves weight. I'd say it weighs about 1/2 what the original exhaust did. I'm uploading some pics to show it a little closer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, you're ready for the V market, try some headpipes and you will see how she responds.

Cheers

Frank

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
HA!! I just read your post about this on the other forum. It sounds & looks good, but you gotta fess up the secret! Give details, like where, what, how much, does it have a cat???

Good job, by the way, it looks factory!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HA!! I just read your post about this on the other forum. It sounds & looks good, but you gotta fess up the secret! Give details, like where, what, how much, does it have a cat???

Good job, by the way, it looks factory!!
Thanks! I was very happy with how it turned out. Hmmm, details. I figured somebody might want to know a little more about it. I will update later when I get home and I'm not typing on this miniature keyboard.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK details.

The muffler is a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler model 87701. 2" In/Out offset on both ends. It weighs 7 lb. It is 100% Mechanically locked aluminized steel. I had to cut about 3/8" off the inlet, and 1.5" off the outlet.

To mate the muffler to the stock header flange, I used an Auto Zone part number 17508 adapter that has adapts 2" ID to 1 13/16" OD. I had to file the inside of the 1 13/16" end mainly in the areas the pipe was seamed together. Once I got it filed right, the 1 13/16" end was a perfect fit to the stock header flange. The 2" end fit right over the muffler inlet no problem.

I used a 1 5/8" and a 2" exhaust clamp, no problems with those, they were a great fit. I also got some cheap exhaust hanger strap to hold it in place. I knew it was temporary so no big deal. I am either going to find some chrome strap with no holes or get my buddy at the muffler shop to weld on a couple of hangers and get rid of the strap all together.

I had bought a 2 1/4" turnout chrome tip to put on the end. I was going to cut it down and use the end piece, but the tip was the wrong size and wouldn't fit on the muffler. I dug out some aluminum tubing I used for a twin turbo project, eyeballed the angle and curve of the swingarm, and cut a tip out of an aluminum bend. I wanted the tip to pretty much follow the curve in the swingarm to make it look as good as I could.

My goal was to make it look like it came on the bike. I thought about using one of the "fart can" mufflers like a lot of the import guys use which would actually look really similar to the custom cans they are selling for bikes. I really didn't want to pay as much for one of those mufflers as what they cost though. I ended up spending about $50 and few hours time getting it all together. I want to get some stainless v-band style exhaust clamps to replace the cheap ones I used, and get rid of the cheap strap holding it up, but it sounds as good if not better than I had hoped. Excellent tone, not too loud, and didn't cost me $300-400.

More pics of the whole bike.

Gratuitous shots of my tank protector and front driving lights.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Nice job!! Now we're just waiting for a ride report...

Makes me wonder if a person could replace just the stock tip with something like yours, just for looks...

:interesting:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fantastic job, an affordable alternative. Can you tell us a bit more about your auxilliary light set up? I really like how clean the install is. What parts did you use?

Thanks,
Wardo

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fantastic job, an affordable alternative. Can you tell us a bit more about your auxilliary light set up? I really like how clean the install is. What parts did you use?

Thanks,
Wardo
Thank you! The lights so far are only mounted, they are not wired up yet. I have to get a relay from the parts store, I am going to wire them up to come on when I turn on the high beams. That way I don't have to use a switch to operate them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info. What brand lights are those?

Wardo

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. What brand lights are those?

Wardo
Those came from Wal-Mart. I think they were either $15 or $20. I liked the size and shape.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Do you have pictures of the left side of the bike? I would be curious to see what the muffler looks like from that angle, too.

How did you mount it to the bike's frame?

Your setup sounds better than nearly everything else out there IMO. The only thing I would want is a bit more weight reduction, but I think this is an excellent alternative. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have pictures of the left side of the bike? I would be curious to see what the muffler looks like from that angle, too.

How did you mount it to the bike's frame?

Your setup sounds better than nearly everything else out there IMO. The only thing I would want is a bit more weight reduction, but I think this is an excellent alternative. Thanks for sharing!
I'll try and get some tomorrow, it was raining today. I mounted it to the stock mount with a muffler strap. If you look at the pics you can see the strap pretty close to the middle of the muffler. I am going to get rid of that strap and either put a chrome one on it with no holes, or get my buddy at the exhaust shop to weld a couple of mounts on the top side of the muffler.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts