Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

curious about V1k

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  onewizard 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for letting me join the forum. I don't currently own one but joined to get info on the V1k.

I currently own a 2015 Ninja 1k. I like it but may want to try something that sits a little more upright.

I'll be searching through the forums and asking questions as I go.

Thanks again

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! As you might imagine, most members here are fans of the Versys and the1000 is my personal favorite. Some will call it a heavy bike, but coming from a Honda ST1300 at 750 lbs, versus the 1000 at ~550 lbs. I did not find that to be a problem at all. The bike feels light and nimble to me, with plenty of power and smooth as silk. I enjoy the wide powerband as well. It will easily pull from about 2000 rpm in 6th gear, making the bike an easy ride in traffic or around town.
Being an old, worn-out geezer, I needed to add bar risers and modified the stock seat. Some find the stock seat fine, but a lot of us have had to modify/replace it to go any distance.
My only other complaint is that the brakes feel "mushy" to me compared to my old ST1300. The ST1300 brakes are superior to the Versys in performance and feel. It's possible stainless brake lines would help that, but I'm too cheap to put up the cash to find out.🤪
Small complaints aside, I find that every time I ride the bike at some point I will think "Man, I really like this bike". I tend to be unreasonably critical of any device I use, (some machine design in my past), so remaining happy with the 1000 is the best endorsement I can provide.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response Grumpy. My current bike weighs 513lbs wet according to Kawasaki. I'm 6'1" 230lbs and doubt the weight would be an issue for me. In fact, another bike I'm considering looking at is the FJR.

I'm wanting to find my "forever" bike. I'll be 50 yrs old in a few months and I do have a few bulged discs in my back. The Ninja isn't uncomfortable (yet) but I kind of think the more upright position and more leg room may be better in the long run.

As you probably know, the N1k uses the same engine but it has a little more power than the V1k. I'm sure either will be plenty for my riding style.

You mention the V1k being really smooth. The N1k does get some vibes at a certain rpm range but it's not too bad IMO. Of course, if the Versys is smoother that is just more icing on the cake.

Any bike I get will likely get an aftermarket seat and adding braided steel brake lines isn't too big of a deal either if it'll help brake feel.

#4 ·
Something else to consider, the (US version) 2019 V1K and on, added many electronic rider aids that really make a difference. Some of the additions include cruise control, heated grips, LED lighting, cornering lights, electronic suspension and a really nice display. For me, the cruise control and electronic suspension really sold me on the bike. The heated grips come in handy as well as the cornering lights (help with avoiding the little critters crossing your path while in a turn). I've put on ~8K miles on my 2019 that was purchased in Feb 2020. So far no regrets but that seat has got to go! That will be my winter update.

FWIW, I'm closing in on 60, ~5'11" 32" inseam, 205lbs (on a good day) - the weight of the bike was no issue for me, although it did take a while before I was really comfortable with the bike.

Search this forum for comments on the V1K, lot's of really good info! Hopefully you can try out both the V1K and FJR before making your decision. Good luck!

#5 ·
Welcome! I came from an FJR and I can say you will working a lot harder to make that FJR work for you. I thought it was a nice motorcycle, but Versys is more comfortable for me hands down. My neck always hurt on the FJR. What year are you considering for the V1k?

#6 ·
Also an “ex” FJR Rider and agree that you will find the V1K a more comfortable bike if you are looking for a more upright seating position. I have a ‘19 with all the bells and whistles and I find it to be probably the most comfortable sport touring bike I have ever owned. Mine is up for sale, but only because I have moved to a lighter bike.
Good luck!

#7 · (Edited)
I see in your signature you have a Tracer 900 gt. What is your opinion of it compared to the V1k? Which would be better suited for a larger rider? I'm 6'1" and 235lbs.

Does one seem to be built better than the other? If the weight of the bike weren't an issue which would you prefer?

If I get a new bike it'll be a 19 or 20.

#9 ·
Hi Chowda,

After owning a V650 for 8 years and a couple of ZRX1200s I bought my 2016 V1K in March this year. Among the many mods I have made the only single mod I have made to address an issue with the stock bike is to buy a new rear shock. Riding by myself it's been OK but 2 up I find the centre stand touching down on any decent bump and limiting my cornering speed. Other than that the bike is excellent. I haven't ridden any newer Versys so cannot comment on the electronics fitted to the newer bikes.
Feel free to ask anything specific you would like to know.

#11 ·
Hi Chowda;

Welcome to the Forum. I traded my Vulcan 900 Classic in on my 2016 V1K last year to shed some weight. At 66 years old, and just having gone through a bone marrow transplant, I found it a little difficult to throw around the 650 lb Classic. I am 5'-11", 200 lbs, and have a 32" inseam. The biggest problem I had getting used to the Versys was the seat height, which made me really uncomfortable until I got used to it. Otherwise, I dearly love the bike. I have been riding for 50 years / 12 bikes, and the Versys is by far my favorite. I don't have all the bells and whistles of the 2019+ models, but the only thing I really miss is the cruise control. I semi-solved the problem with a Kaoko manual throttle lock, but would really like to have the electronic version. Although, since I live and ride in the Hill Country of Texas, I don't really get much of a chance to use cruise control anyway.

Good luck finding your V1K - you can't go wrong!

#12 · (Edited)
After some consideration I think I may keep my 2015 N1k for the time being. It's paid for and I'm having a tough time convincing myself to spend for another bike right now.

I live in middle TN and we have alot of twisties and hills to ride also. Like you, I also don't have cruise control but added a Throttlemeister throttle lock. It is the same concept as the Kaoko you have. I have read on the Ninja forum that the cruise control recently added on the 19 and up models can have a variance of up to 5mph when used and doesn't maintain speed as well as many had hoped when ascending/descending hills. I'm pretty sure it's the same unit used on the V1k.

I think I'm going to have the suspension rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics in the near future to better accommodate my weight and may add Murph's bar risers to lessen the reach to the bars as well.

It's too bad there isn't one perfect bike out there. They all seem to be lacking in one way or another.

Thanks again

#13 ·
One of our "inmates" - weljo2001 - has a V1000 ('16?) FOR SALE, and he takes VG care of his bikes, so I can recommend him. Here's his advert:

#14 ·
Welcome from Canada 🏍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.