Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be riding 75-80% of the time on the interstate to and from work. I'm wondering if this bike get blown around by the trucks and wind. I used to own a large cruiser which was nice but not as much fun on the back roads - the other 20-25%. Any info would help.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I got blown around alot on the interstate until I got the Givi D405ST windscreen. It works really well and also keeps more bugs off of me and my helmet!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've hit some big headwinds at highway speeds. My head got pushed around but the bike was rock solid. I'm planning a cross Canada trip next year, thats how confident I am in the bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Interstate doesn't seem to be too big of a problem - unless you get directly behind a truck in the side-to-side whipping wind. Otherwise, all the traffic around you is going at relatively the same speed.

I ride a lot of 2-lane road back and forth to work (east and west trip) This area of the country has a predominant wind from the south during the summer - sometimes gusting 25-30 mph or more - so that makes a pretty gusty cross wind. Then when you meet a semi at a combined speed of 130 mph, it can make for some pretty exciting whipping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In reference to travelling at highway speeds. My bike is new, and has only 117 miles on it. In the manual, it states that during break-in, you should keep the bike below 4000rpm. I find this nearly impossible to do. I commute to work on my bike, and use a state highway to do it. How important is this? Do I just need to slow down? I dont want to hurt my bike, but I dont want a 30 mile trip to take 45 minutes either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

·
Registered
440 Posts
In reference to travelling at highway speeds. My bike is new, and has only 117 miles on it. In the manual, it states that during break-in, you should keep the bike below 4000rpm. I find this nearly impossible to do. I commute to work on my bike, and use a state highway to do it. How important is this? Do I just need to slow down? I dont want to hurt my bike, but I dont want a 30 mile trip to take 45 minutes either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
My advice, don't worry about it. The owner's manual also states on page 68 that you should shift into 6th gear at 34mph. Are you kidding me? Who would do that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I commute 37 miles one way on US 321 in North Carolina and I have yet to experience wind issues as far as being pushed around. I did get behind a flat bed truck with roof trusses on the bed. I moved to the other lane at about his 7-8 and it was atrocious, to be there so what do you do? Pass'em. During the break in period I also commuted. I stayed between 4k and 6500k rmp. Youre moving pretty good at 6500, but I didn't go extended periods at that rate. So +1 on what Hooligan said.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey GA RIDER I see you got the V. Gimme a shout when you wanna ride. Congrats and :welcome:

·
Registered
169 Posts

Nick
It's probably more important that you vary the RPMs so that you're not spending a lot of time at one fixed RPM/speed than making sure you stay under 4K rpms. Try varying your speed a lot (i.e. constantly) - and if you do have a problem, you'll probably want to avoid any "disclosure" that you went above the recommended break-in limit. Take it easy in terms of how hard you accelerate and be nice to your bike - you're going to have it a long time! :)

You might want to change your oil and filter prior to the 600-mile service too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've noticed a little buffeting when I get to 70+ mph, but it's nothing that gives any indication the bike is getting unstable nor does it move me off of my line. It actually seems to effect my helmet more than anything. I've flipped my wind screen and will be raising it about 2" if my idea works out.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Personally,

I've taken my V all over AZ, and never have I felt that the bike was unstable. Considering I've done a few 150-200 mile runs on it at speeds betweem 75-100+, with the small stock screen... my own opinion on it is that this bike holds to the road very well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
On vacation we rode 40/440 through Raleigh at 80 indicated in traffic and loaded heavy with no problems. Even during a thunderstorm the bike was rock solid. A light grip helps in high wind conditions. The only times the bike twitches I find that the "Grip of Death" has set in and I am the problem. :eek: :)

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts