Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip this spring from Connecticut to Deals Gap, North Carolina. Reading all those stories about the Tail of the Dragon has made it sound to good to pass up!

I will head out, and make a stop in Philly to see relatives. Then hit Washington D.C. to see some of the sites. From there though, I am looking for attractions that will be motorcycle friendly, both there and back.

Will probably take dif route home then out.

What do you guys think? Any roads that should not be missed? Any friendly places/ watering holes?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Briar Rabbit, there is a lot of great riding between you and the Dragon.

Squirrel Spur - N36 37.409 W80 28.334
This is a connector road onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's short, but there are some really good twisties, a couple of full switchbacks and some really nice views of the the surrounding countryside from the edge of the mountain. It's a local favorite.

US64 Between Franklin & Sapphire - N35 05.282 W83 09.804

I missed out on this road on a trip back from the Dragon, but it looks great on the map. I'm told it's really good.

US28 Between Franklin & Lauada - N35 16.332 W83 25.805

We stumbled upon this road on the way home from the Dragon. There were some really good twisties and a pretty good roadbed.

Blue Ridge Parkway - N35 27.549 W83 07.189 (just one point along long road)
You probably don't need me to tell you about this one, but it's definitely one you need to check out. There are some sections that are better than others, but any of it is worth a ride if you're near by. The NC section has a lot more tunnels than the VA part. Be careful because a lot of the curves are not sloped properly for riding. The road was designed by architects to highlight the surrounding beauty, not by civil engineers to maximize safety (true store as told by park ranger stationed there).

When are you coming through? If you need to stop for a rest or to service your bike, my house shouldn't be too far out of your way. I'm in Winston-Salem, NC. PM for contact info if you want to have someone semi-local to help out if you need it.

Ride safe.

Chris

·
Registered
365 Posts
i'm in roanoke va. 10 min. off the parkway.....good road, no heavy traffic, just watch for deer......been thinking of the same ride myself in spring.....maybe a group might be interested in joining?? feel free to contact when your time is near of if your in the area...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you'll let me toot my own horn, Briar Rabbit, take a look at my Rider article on the region. In addition to the roads that Dragon Breath mentions, you can pick many of the roads that go from low elevation up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, like NC215. My story mentions a number of others by name.

As far as getting there, my advice is to leave Philly and go inland. There's nothing of interest to a twisty-loving motorcyclist until you get away from the population centers near the coast. Central PA, West Virginia, and western Virginia have great roads. The Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway are nice if you can tolerate the slow speed limit and active enforcement.

Get a detailed map and piece together a route on "thin lines" and you'll have a blast.

Have fun!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Consider making your way from DC (US 50) over to US 219 S to Lewisburg, WV and then US 60 W to US 19 S to the New River Gorge Canyon/Bridge. 19 S to Beckley, WV area then WV/VA Rt 16 S (every bit as technical as the Dragon) to Marion/Volney, VA then 58 to Damascus, VA, 133 to Shady Valley, TN and run "the Snake" US 421. Choose from dozens of options (Boone to the BRP for example, though I would choose Roan Mtn) to get farther south to the Dragon. Run the BRP north towards home. Twisties and sightseeing all the way!

·
Registered
312 Posts
spklbuk, that sounds some really good info. I think I might steal that list and put together a little weekend loop departing from W-S, NC and tying into your route in western VA. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Keep us updated and maybe we can make a show of Versys power somewhere along the way...There are quite a few of us in the SE.

·
Registered
442 Posts
DragonBreath,
Those roads will not disappoint. Don't skip the WV portion of 16 to Beckley if it's w/in your range...it ROCKS! Unlike the Dragon and the Snake, weekends are actually better on WV 16 though due to the much reduced coal truck traffic.

Please for to give me a shout, I haven't run the Snake on my Versys yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in Raleigh, NC. I did the Dragon this fall. I'd highly recommend the Cherahala Skyway (look it up on one of the dragon sites). That was my favorite part of the trip (moreso than the dragon). I hit the dragon with a buddy at sunset and everyone was going for their last ride of it...made for a lot of traffic...not to mention a wreck on the tail. I would also recommend NC 80. ZERO traffic, ZERO cops, and it leads up from highway 220 in NC to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

What weekend are you coming to NC? I'm looking for an excuse to hit up that area of the state again this spring (several times actually).

David

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I did the Cherahala last summer and it is awesome...nice and wide, with great pavement (at least in Tennessee).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure which weekend I'm gonna make the trip yet. I want to do it at end of May. As far as I am concerned, the more the merrier!

Bones: I liked your article. Do you have any more out there for our reading pleasure?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can tell you this if you use route 16 in WV Thu the Tazwell gap, run US Thu shady valley TN(AND BACK) its called the snake ,it will not disappoint.Also out of WV,rt 39 the goshin gap is excellent,It can be easily accessed from us 219,the area around Sparta (just off the blue ridge there is a great motel there the Allegheny Inn 366-372-2501)and Boone NC is loaded with excellent riding.If you run 219 to 60 east when you get to Buena vista Va take rt 501 over the mountain,its like an alpine switchback fest,follow to Big Island Va and then you can use 122 and 43 to rejoin the BRP.some photos for you of the area
Part of the Tazwell gap

A view along Rt 39 aka the Goshin gap

Along 421

Shady valley

Twp note if you go to US 19 and the bridge in Summersville WV it is a SPEED TRAP and I mean 3 MPH over no bull google it. Second on the brp the rangers enforce speed the speed is 45 or slower,the fines can be unreal

·
Registered
442 Posts
Twp note if you go to US 19 and the bridge in Summersville WV it is a SPEED TRAP and I mean 3 MPH over no bull google it.
The bridge is just north of the town of Fayetteville...and should he be coming in on US 60 from the west would access US 19 well south of Summersville.

BTW, the two brothers who were nearly singlehandedly responsible for the speed trap in Summersville were fired a coupla years ago and were subsequently rehired by the town of Gauley Bridge (not on suggested route) and now ply their 3-over trap there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I Passed thru in sept,on the way to the carnafax battlefield,and gauley dam,glad I didn't get aperformance award on the way to the dam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts