Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this in my e-mail and thought I'd share with the collective. I am not involved with any of the groups/businesses listed below, just an enthusiast with two kids that ride.

===================================================
You may have heard about a new law that came into effect on February 10th. The law is a broad, sweeping law called the ‘Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act’ (CPSIA). The law was enacted as a knee jerk reaction by Congress to the importation of lead tainted toys from Mattel etc. The new laws give very strict guidelines that have had unintended consequences for many industries. Many metal alloys often contain lead. Engine casings on mini motorcycles, valve stems, spoke nipples etc all now fail the new standards. The fact that lead in metal alloys is ‘insoluble’ has escaped the Government and the CPSC. The lead content in alloys poses no health risks whatsoever. The law was entirely political, and will do little or nothing to protect our children. How many of us have seen kids sucking on motorcycles?

At this point in time, all motorcycle manufacturers have stopped selling youth motorcycles for kids age 12 or under. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM, Polini, Cobra, Polaris and OSET are all in the same boat. Any bicycle with 24” wheels or less is now illegal to sell, although the bicycle industry appears to be ignoring the law. To be clear, none of the above Companies are now selling youth motorcycles! You can NOT go to a Honda dealer and buy a CRF50, CRF70 or CRF80, or their youth ATV’s.

This is clearly a HUGE issue that needs to be fixed. With the economy in recession, what sense does it make to stop dealers selling inventory, and to effectively close thousands of American businesses, costing tens of thousands of jobs?

We emphasize that this law has no effect on what you have already purchased, only on products you buy going forward. OSET, and all the above companies, have satisfied all lead in paint and other applicable laws, and put a high emphasis on safety. Of course we want to keep kids safe from lead, but the law should focus on products that kids can eat, and that have accessible lead!

There is something we can do. Congressman Tom Self is a moto-Dad, and has taken up our cause. Tom has a standard letter that needs to be signed by every motorcyclist in the Country. If you go to http://www.tomself.com you will see the letter on the home page, and can sign & send in less than a minute.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The more attention I pay to politicians the more I realize how ignorant they can be. If they can't get the legislation right to protect children who chew on toys, how can we trust them with the economy and billions of dollars?

·
Registered
775 Posts
You can't...That bailout package those retards (house/ senate) just approved...You're/ my / our money just got crapped away. Won't even do sort of any good...Unless you consider that whooping $7.70 you will get as a tax break every week, good...:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong BUT is it still legal to transport children in an automobile??????:huh::huh::huh::D

·
Registered
236 Posts
are SCHOOL BUSES also lead free ????:huh::yeahsmile: I don't see a way in hell they can enforce such foolishness.:clap:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are SCHOOL BUSES also lead free ????:huh::yeahsmile: I don't see a way in hell they can enforce such foolishness.:clap:
An excellent question to ask either the AMA, MIC, CPSC, your Congressman, or Representative. I'd be willing to bet that the parts of a bus that a child could touch have been deemed "lead free"....the do-gooders would have already made sure of that. Still, a very good question. I'll run it past some of my contacts. Stay tuned sports fans.......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not SOLD to kids but it IS used by kids.:yeahsmile:
You've missed the point. The CPSC targeted items that were produced and intended for use by a child 12 or under. It does not target items that a child MAY come into contact with. Should that be the case, lets ban shopping carts, too. Kids ride in those all day long. How about no more pencils in school? Surely there's bad chemicals in the pencil making process. The food at drive-thru restaurants is worse than this lead BS. Are streetlight and stopsign poles all lead free? Can a child touch it? Yes, but it was not intended for the child. F*ck it, lets ban everything and have our kids all be bubble-children...unless the bubble has lead content......

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's my point exactly .If they ban something that stupid why not everything? I'm suprised it's still legal to use a cell phone around a kid because of brain tumor issues.:eek:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm also wondering if they get this nutty with child safety ,how is it that smokin' in a car or home with children inside is not treated as abuse,neglect or reckless endangerment???

·
Registered
236 Posts
Think about it . I'm an EMT and I KNOW smoking has harmed WAY more people than lead . So why are they hung up on lead ??? I've never seen a kid chewing on a kick starter but I have seen a few clawing at a car window trying to breath .:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just saw this. Grand Guy Malcom Smith.
CDBONNETT
08 Red Versys

Malcolm Smith Leads Bike Ban Protest
Sticking it to The Man

A recent press release from Resource Marketing announced Malcolm Smith was taking action against the kids bike ban under the CPSIA, and that he will lead a protest at Malcolm Smith Motorsports on Thursday, March 19.

The release stated: "Our hero and friend Malcolm Smith is mad as hell and he's not taking it any longer so he's committed to staging a protest against the latest CPSCI Act which restricts the sale of motorcycle and ATVs to kids."

But to call it a protest would be an understatement. There will be a bit more than picket signs and chanting... Come Thursday, Malcolm is going to disregard the ban and start selling youth OHVs. Jeremy McGrath, Jeff Ward and Troy Lee have already announced they plan to take part in the protest and purchase youth bikes from Malcolm Smith Motorsports on Thursday.

Right now, it's anyone's guess as to what the repercussions of this bold move will be, but one thing is for sure: Malcolm is not willing to spend another day not reacting to the CPSIA and the devastation it has had on the front lines of our industry - our dealers, who have invested their lives into the sale of OHVs.

Following are the details of the protest event. Stay tuned to Cycle News for more info on the coming protest and father developments on the kids bike ban under the CPSIA.

Protest Event Fact Sheet

Who: Malcolm Smith

What: Kids Love 2 Ride Protest

When: Thursday, March 19, 2009, 6:00am PST

Where: Malcolm Smith Motorsports

7599 Indiana Avenue, Riverside, CA 92504
http://www.malcolmsmith.com

Why: In defiance of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 which prohibits the sale of youth motorcycles and ATVs deemed unhealthy for children under 12 due to suspected high-levels of lead content, motorcycle dealer Malcolm Smith will sell these banned vehicles as a sign of protest. As a sign of support, a group of small business people and high-profile motorcycle industry celebrities, including racers Jeff Ward and Jeremy McGrath, Glen Helen Raceway owner Bud Feldkamp, and motorsport design guru Troy Lee have all agreed to be on hand to purchase banned units for use by their own children and grandchildren.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts