Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after searching for cruise control devices I decided I would try the old O-ring trick....A 1 1/8 inch extra thick rubber O-ring between the grip and the bar end did the trick....took it out to try it out and it works well...takes a little practice engaging and disengaging but for 99 cents its it ain't bad...by the way...these are very dangerous and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone...:huh::D

·
Registered
699 Posts
I just installed the Kaoko cruise control. Very easy install and operate. Allows you to stretch and get blood back into your throttle hand. Bar end weight matches the stock left side weight well. A MUST have!
http://www.kaoko.com/cruisecontrol.html

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd go for that little paddle-looking flap you attach to the grip so you can use your palm to operate the throttle. That's about the limit to what I'd spend on that kind of device. No Iron Butt Rally here.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've got the one from Manic Salamander. It was nothing more than unbolting the bar ends and bolting these on. The only down side is It doesn't hold very tight so it will stay at one speed for a bit then you'll notice it veeeeeerrrry slowly starting to drop in MPH. All in all though. It works rather well and very nice.

If I would have thought of just spending 99cents on a washer though. Damn.

Here's the Manic Salamander website just in case anyone's interested:
http://www.manicsalamander.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
What size O-ring?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dayum I'm BLIND!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow - kind of surprised no one makes a true cruise control for the V? One that would actually control the speed based on sensor input and cut out if the brake or clutch were used? Or maybe the do but the 'jamb the throttle open with a stick' option is more popular for simplicity or cost?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Installing an aftermarket cruise control (as opposed to a throttle lock) is a real pain in the ass. It's possible, but requires a lot of work because the bike isn't pre-wired for it. The o-ring solution works well (if not very user friendly) or for ~$20 you can have one of these:

It doesn't keep your speed constant, but it's enough to allow you to rest the right hand as often as you need to.

Gustavo

·
Registered
69 Posts
Y'all want cruise control?

Get your real cruise control right here:

http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/cruise-control.htm

Actually do a search on Audiovox motorcycle cruise control and you'll get lots of hits. These are real speed control setups using an aftermarket Audiovox universal controller, and should be installable in the V as well. I first "thought" of doing this on my Concours years ago, but my ability to procrastinate seems to outlast my bikes!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
what type of throttle control and handguards do you have there?
The throttle lock is a Vista Cruise (labeled as fits Hondas and pre-82 dual cable Kawasakis) and the handguards are from KTM (with an extra spacer that came with the Shogun swingarm spools/sliders).

Gustavo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts