Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a minor accident last week and had to put the bike down to avoid direct impact. Frame sliders did well but scratched the ferring and bent the bars.

It appears that the front gauge cluster is now closer to my bars. The cluster now hits my ignition key ever so slightly.

My question is - Is there a frame or mount that is easily bent back in place and how difficult is it to remove all the front assembly? I do not have a manual. These rivets that hold a lot of the cluster together .... how do you remove them without damaging them or the surfaces?

Any help would be appreciated. My thumb and one finger were dislocated so it will be a while before I have any strength in my hands to get into it seriously.

·
Registered
193 Posts
First - glad to hear it wasn't worse for you or the bike. Any time a bike goes down, there's serious potential for pain.

There's a service manual in the tech section - hop over there and take a look.

There is a sub-frame of sorts under the gauges - pretty thin tubing as I remember. But I don't know if it's a bolt-on component or welded on.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Bill, sorry to hear about your accident, crashing sucks.*
By the way you phrased it, "had to lay it down..." I am assuming you could use some rider training. If there is none to be had in your area, Keith Code's book and video for "A Twist of the Wrist 2" could make good use of your convalescence.
Laying it down is a panic reaction that insures a crash rather than prevents one. Knowledge and practice will allow you to detect threats earlier and react decisively using a controlled evasive maneuver.

:( Dropped the bike- bike is banged up, but you're fine.
:( :( Fell off the bike- you're banged up,the bike is fine.
:( :( :( Crashed the bike- you're hurt, the bike is f'd up.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I "think" the headlight bracket should be able to be bent back without any real replacement, depending how bad it is.
the front side fairing comes off fairly easy and let's you look up in there.

Glad your ok!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I "think" the headlight bracket should be able to be bent back without any real replacement, depending how bad it is.
the front side fairing comes off fairly easy and let's you look up in there.

Glad your ok!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

The bracket i posted above when i replaced mine you could hardly notice it was tweaked.But the windshield was off to one side and the side fairings were a PITA to get the bolts lined up. The bracket won't just bend back into place.Its on sturdy booger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I have a project and seems pretty easy.

And yes Baron650, it was a stupid lazy mistake. My best bet would not have been to take evasive action.....but to keep my fricking eyes on the guy in front of me. (who stops on a freeway on ramp)

$1000 on a bike safety course and I broke rule #1. (plus the finger):guilty:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts