Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need bars. I know HB and SWmotech have their goods and bads, and I have seen pictures of both. I'm still debating, and as far as I can tell the only real reason to do either is based on which you like the looks of the most. Anyone have a good pic of the HB bars, not just themselves but the entire bike with the HB bars installed. This would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
This is the best I could do with a flash.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm still debating, and as far as I can tell the only real reason to do either is based on which you like the looks of the most.
I'd have to disagree with this. The protection they offer is different, and that is probably the most meaningful difference. The H&B bars assume your most vulnerable part is the radiator and are built to protect that the most, the cases are also protected, but not with a metal bar that runs in front of them. The SWMotech and RennTech bars assume it's your case that needs most of the protection and the radiator is secondary.

IMHO, H&B got it right so that's what I got for my Versys:

Gustavo

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd have to disagree with this. The protection they offer is different, and that is probably the most meaningful difference. The H&B bars assume your most vulnerable part is the radiator and are built to protect that the most, the cases are also protected, but not with a metal bar that runs in front of them. The SWMotech and RennTech bars assume it's your case that needs most of the protection and the radiator is secondary.

IMHO, H&B got it right so that's what I got for my Versys:

Gustavo
That's a good summary Gustavo. I do hate that we have to choose, because for the price of either set of bars one would expect to get protection for all the vital bits. I have ordered the H&B bars for my V a well.

Both companies have supply issues. I hope they can both ramp up production to service the boom that will certainly follow the BOTM award.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What's the difference in what touches the ground when the bikes are on their sides?

Do either of them keep the handlebars and controls off of the ground? How about foot controls?

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi,

found this on another site, but comments are worth reading :

Quote.

which engine guards ?. after an "exciting" weekend, it has to be the Hepco n Becker units. without a doubt.

picture this : doing 60-70 kph, car in front brakes suddenly. no possibility of avoiding collision. jam brakes. thank goodness for the ABS. swerve hard to starboard (right). bike just clips the rear bumper. engine guard takes the impact. left leg/knee avoided a nasty injury n possible fracture. look at the fotos of the mushrooms/renntec units. these wouldn't hve saved my friend's leg. mounted too low. the H n B units are mounted higher n outwards, up to radiator level. when riding, both legs hug the cowls/tank n hence are inside of the guards. these may save your legs one day ........

Unquote.

the H n B guards not only protect my versys, but more important, they will protect me ....

rgds

·
Registered
231 Posts
3 Engine Guard Styles. Hmmmmmm

Hope someone knows their stuff. I've been looking at Engine guards and found three (3). Seems like H&B is the one, or is this the only one that has been purchased? Below I pasted web sites and description of all three, pictures at the site are printable so I'm able to go with it to the bike and have a visual. Still can't decide.

http://www.happy-trail.com - These guards will protect your engine; frame; plastic and fuel tank against expensive damage from tip overs and other mishaps sometimes encountered by adventure tourers. Available in black anodized only. $189.00

http://www.twistedthrottle.com - Constructed of heavy-duty mild steel, SW-MOTECH crashbars are designed to provide maximum protection, optical integration, and high-quality fit and finish.
All components are protected against corrosion by sandblasting and powdercoating. High-strength frame mounting points. Black.
Constructed of 26.9mm outer-diameter mild steel tubing. $160.00

http://www.amotostuff.com - Hepco Becker Engine Guard Kaw Versys KLE650 07+ These black powder coated engine guards will add style and protection to your motorcycle. Instructions are only in German. $182.64

As you can see, not much of a price difference. But actually picking one is the issue. I want bike/tank protectection. But Radiator concerns are also an issue. If only a fourth model would combine the protection of two guards.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Seems like H&B is the one, or is this the only one that has been purchased?
Jude, this is a really good summary and very helpful to have all info in one place. I do know of quite a few people that have the Motech guards though, and speak highly of them. The Happy-Trail guard is very new and I've not heard of any real-world installations yet, but I think it's reasonable to assume that all three of these guards are very good quality and offer good protection to the areas that they specifically protect.

I agree with you 100% though. I wish there was an option that provided good coverage to top and bottom.

As I've thought about how bikes go down and which parts hit first, I agree with Gustavo that the H&B will still provide some protection to the cases. Obviously there is no metal bar in between the cases and whatever they might hit, but I'm pretty sure in a dump that the bars will still hit before the cases.

·
Registered
133 Posts
http://www.amotostuff.com - Hepco Becker Engine Guard Kaw Versys KLE650 07+ Instructions are only in German. $182.64
[/QUOTE]

Actually no. If you go the the Hepco Becker website and click on English, then find parts under Versys, you'll get 2 PDF files: for the crash guards and the frame for the sidecases. Within each PDF file, you'll find German first, then English in the latter portion. :yeahsmile:

Peter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I have seen a few pics of versys that have gone down, WITH the H&B bars and showed they held up fantastically and protected the whole engine, the bars hit before anything else other than the handlebars. I'm ordering them asap!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
http://www.amotostuff.com - Hepco Becker Engine Guard Kaw Versys KLE650 07+ Instructions are only in German. $182.64
Actually no. If you go the the Hepco Becker website and click on English, then find parts under Versys, you'll get 2 PDF files: for the crash guards and the frame for the sidecases. Within each PDF file, you'll find German first, then English in the latter portion. :yeahsmile:

Peter
I just installed my HB bars last week and the instructions are in several languages including English, but I really didn't need them. They are a breeze to install.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Man! Those bars look sweet! Makes me even more impatient for my bars to show up. I ordered them from Adventure Motostuff earlier this week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reaper,

I live in kent, near west malling.

Where are you?

Where did you get Your crash bars from?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Very nice looking Bars !!! I'd like your personal opinion if you don't mind......... You may need a sick mind for this but try to imagine the bike on its side,(just the thought kills me). What would your opinion be about possible damage to specific areas now? I'm also thinking if you used a board of some sort and held it next to the bike this may give a better perspective od possible mared areas?? This insight would be very helpful to me and maybe some others. Anyway - H&B seems the way to go listening to others and now your pic's.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.