Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just bought me a used California '09 Versys which has the special emissions box which, apparently, gets in the way of both the H&B and SWMototech crash bars. Anyone else found good crash protection for the California Versys?

Thanks!
-George

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey George,

I too had the same question a while back when I wanted to fit my '09 with crash bars. I ended up going with the SWMotech's after all based on the suggestion of a couple other CA model owners.

Here's my write up on it: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10514

The only issue is the u-bolts on the frame. I ended up having a bit of vibration increase when I tightened the ubolts down to anything more than a tad over hand tightened. I also ended up using slices of bicycle innertube wrapped around the frame bars and strategically placed around the emissions canister to prevent vibration & noise from the bars. When I had them completely snugged without the innertube inserts, the vibration was a little much to handle.

To get the fit right with the canister still installed requires you to remove the cover over the canister. You would install the bar and set the ubolt in place and gently "nudge" the canister so that the ubolt would fit up against it (this is where I used the rubber as a damper between the two). Then just replace the cover and you're set.

After inserting the innertube bits and loosening up the ubolts to just a tad over hand tightened, they work great. I've put 1k miles on since my install and I don't even notice them there. And I've never had to use them (knock on wood!).

I have not tried the H&B's but here a similar adjustment can be made on those for the CA's. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not that there is much difference, but for my '10, it was nothing more than trim a bit of the beauty cover and do a little wiggling to reposition the module and the SW Mototech went on pretty painlessly. The bigger problem was breaking the motor mount loose...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another CA owner with the SW-Motech bars. Basically, I just had to take the plastic cover off of the emissions package, fit the bars, and put the cover back on (took a bit of mashing, but no biggie). The whole process took maybe a couple minutes longer than it would have been without the emissions package.

DrTizz speaks the truth about the motor mounts. Prepare to stand on your wrench. :eek:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I do not recall the motor mount bolts being particularly tight, '09 V. The SW bars went on fairly easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts