Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right upper cowling on my '09 developed a small crack on the weekend and now the crack has traveled about 8" so a whole chunk is ready to come off. I did a search and didn't find anything on cowling cracks so this must not be a common problem.

I had taken that cowling off and put back on just before so maybe over tightened bolts although the crack did not start at a bolt. How tight should those bolts be?:confused:

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
111 Posts
My '08 developed cracks (starting at the bolts on top) within the first year I had her. Luckily, the cracks didn't expand far (maybe an inch). Since then I have replaced both cowlings (I had scratches on both from dropping the bike on a sandy/rocky beach) and the new cowlings have been fine for the past few years.

As to how much the bolts should be tightened? I wish I had a good answer.....just enough, but not too much is how I do it now.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've had success repairing body work on other bikes, fortunately haven't needed to repair my '09.
I used fiberglass tape and ABS/PVC glue, and made the repair on the back side of the panel. Multiple applications of the glue is key. The front still showed a hairline crack, but it didn't spread and the panel was useable. You might give it a try.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had success repairing body work on other bikes, fortunately haven't needed to repair my '09.
I used fiberglass tape and ABS/PVC glue, and made the repair on the back side of the panel. Multiple applications of the glue is key. The front still showed a hairline crack, but it didn't spread and the panel was useable. You might give it a try.
Thanks for the tips...I might try it. Are the panels made of ABS? Would that yellow glue that you use to glue ABS plumbing pipe work? I have some of that. And I also have PVC cement for electrical conduit.

I ordered a new panel but would still like to fix the old one and have it as a spare. Also would like to know what caused it so the same thing doesn't happen to the new panel. I am thinking to use loctite on the panel screws and then only tighten them down lightly against the panel.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
19,019 Posts
...How tight should those bolts be?:confused:...Brian
...As to how much the bolts should be tightened? I wish I had a good answer.....just enough, but not too much is how I do it now.
I use blue Loctite on those whenever I remove/replace them. I use a 1/4" ratchet with my hand held around the ratchet-head NOT at the end of the handle for tightening. That way I haven't overtightened them (yet!!!).

:goodluck:

Every few times when they're removed I run them thru a die, and a tap thru the thread insert, to clean out the old Loctite, and make them easier to turn.

:goodidea:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, the panels are ABS. I had my left side crack for no apparent reason and never been off the bike. I suspect it was cracked when I bought it but then spread. I used a sanding drum on my Dremel to V out the crack a bit and put in Devcon Plastic Welder (a two part like epoxy). Came out fine.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Here it is. I have duct tape behind to hold it together.

Wo ... That's pretty intense :eek:

Have you ever droped your V ?

Have to check mine for starting crack ...

Hopefully, you'll be able to do a clean fix with all the solution mentioned

Good luck

Take care

LOP

·
Registered
859 Posts
Here it is. I have duct tape behind to hold it together.

That is nothing.
Skilled hands can make that look like new. Just take it to a good body shop.

Mine was in pieces so it was patched and glued back and it looks great. Apart from the wrong color. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts