Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... 460 miles on the '15 Versys and I can confirm (at least for mine) the cowling still retains the relentless buzzing lol.... Mine is located at the intersection of the gauge shroud and the cowling that the windshield passes through... Put in some black double sided tape between the seam and now there's buzzing around the headlights....

At least Kawi tried I suppose..... The gauge shroud has a foamy texture strip of tape from factory underneath but doesn't come up enough to silence the two joining pieces of cowl......

Meh....

In love otherwise with my 1st versy.... :teetertooter:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It's under freakin' warranty! If the shop don't fix it, call Kawasaki! The dealer is too cheap to put near minimum wage labor in to fix it. Either Kawasaki assembled it wrong or the dealer set it up wrong. It's going to start cracking expensive plastic soon and then that will be YOUR fault then! Plastic is not made to rattle without cracking plastic and chipping paint. ymmv

·
Registered
128 Posts
has anyone ridden the v1000 and the ninja 1000 to compare how smooth they are compared to each other? I have ridden the ninja 1000 and it had vibrations that started to make my hands go numb. even trying the fjr1300, it had vibrations that would make my hands numb. these were all on test rides less of less than 20 miles too.

maybe its just me, but 4 cylinder bikes and my hands don't get along. the versys on the other hand, has no noticeable hand numbing vibrations. it does have vibrations, but its more of a pulse than a hand numbing buzz. i have no cowl buzz from my bike yet, but its only got about 280 miles on it.

my 93 seca2 had SOO much buzz that I took the whole cowling off and put a Honda front headlight on it instead. it also has a lot of buzz in the bars (4 cylinder).

4 cylinders run smoother, but to me, they have more distinct buzz.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's under freakin' warranty! If the shop don't fix it, call Kawasaki! The dealer is too cheap to put near minimum wage labor in to fix it. Either Kawasaki assembled it wrong or the dealer set it up wrong. It's going to start cracking expensive plastic soon and then that will be YOUR fault then! Plastic is not made to rattle without cracking plastic and chipping paint. ymmv

The buzz is a byproduct of the meeting of two pieces of plastic that are not fused adequately. The vibrations from the engine diffuse throughout the bike through points of contact. It seems reasonable that kawasaki should employ some form of rubberized sealant at all plastic joints - particularly at the instrument cluster - which appears to be the source of 99% of the buzzing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
has anyone ridden the v1000 and the ninja 1000 to compare how smooth they are compared to each other? I have ridden the ninja 1000 and it had vibrations that started to make my hands go numb. even trying the fjr1300, it had vibrations that would make my hands numb. these were all on test rides less of less than 20 miles too.

maybe its just me, but 4 cylinder bikes and my hands don't get along. the versys on the other hand, has no noticeable hand numbing vibrations. it does have vibrations, but its more of a pulse than a hand numbing buzz. i have no cowl buzz from my bike yet, but its only got about 280 miles on it.

my 93 seca2 had SOO much buzz that I took the whole cowling off and put a Honda front headlight on it instead. it also has a lot of buzz in the bars (4 cylinder).

4 cylinders run smoother, but to me, they have more distinct buzz.
I traded my Ninja 1000 for the Versys 1000. To me the Versys has what feels like a vibration around 4-4.5k rpm but my hands are completely fine after going 100 miles without stopping as opposed to tingling with the Ninja. The Versys is just straight up easier on the body than the Ninja. That being said, neither my Versys nor the Ninja have or had any buzzing/rattling around the body parts.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've ridden by '08 V for 7 years.

The 2 things that have minimized the buzz issue the most was 1) I up shift or down shift to avoid riding in the 4100 to 4900 rpm range 2) I obtained better earplugs - custom molded in my ear.

After 7 plus years, I've not experienced any plastics cracking on the bike.

After 27,000 miles, the bike still has a bit of the buzz/throb to it, but just when running in the 4000's rpm range. I just work around it and adapt.

But is not nearly as bad as my last bike, which was a '76 Yamaha XS 650 (unbalanced vertical twin, with a 360 degree crank).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts