Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to locate some authoritative info about Covid and biking. Found this article which offers some common sense ideas, but nothing definitive.

Is It Safe to Go For a Ride? The Motorcycle Rider's Coronavirus Guide

I dont personally see a huge threat with exception that the new Covid strain appears to be airborne and loves heat and humidity - and is more virulent.

If you happen across any credible Info, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Masks are more about protecting others from you than you from them. Here is a description of the various standards and their effectiveness, however, hand to mouth contact is considered by many to be more of a threat. So keep a pocket sized 70%+ alcohol hand cleaner handy - and use it often when among others.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Masks are more about protecting others from you than you from them. Here is a description of the various standards and their effectiveness, however, hand to mouth contact is considered by many to be more of a threat. So keep a pocket sized 70%+ alcohol hand cleaner handy - and use it often when among others.

Thanks, Brockie.

I’m aware of the protection of others, but we are seeing more counties and cities mandating their use outside. Was just curious about how the enforcement effort fits into riding.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Then the people to ask are your local law enforcement authority, although I would have thought that wearing a mask under a full face helmet should be unnecessary.

·
Registered
746 Posts
[
Thanks, Brockie.

I’m aware of the protection of others, but we are seeing more counties and cities mandating their use outside. Was just curious about how the enforcement effort fits into riding.
I have not seen any motorcycle riders wearing a mask. I have not seen any bicycle riders or joggers wearing mask in my area. I have seen very few people wearing masks outside including people walking their dogs or walking through the park with other people.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to few cops in different areas. As expected, differing stories. More places require them in public. Different enforcement perspectives. Generally, I’m hearing no mask during exercise or when riding, but stop your bike and get off or when near others, have it on.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take precautions, but in the end I would rather die while living. About to haul my moto guzzi to the mountains for a weekend getaway.
I’m jealous.

·
Registered
81 Posts
wearing a Covid mask while motorcycling? The world truly has turned upside down. What's next? Seat belts? smh.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How timely! Was in Indianapolis on my bike today. Stopped at my bank, was walking toward the door getting ready to put my mask on and was approached by an officer informing me masks were required outside and I was in violation of city ordinance blah blah blah. Told him I was getting ready to put one on and had it in my hand. Not good enough to avoid a stern warning. I get it.

in short, masks aren’t required until you get off your bike. Then they’re required in more cities - and they will cite you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This has nothing to do with COVID but the scarf helps keep dirt and dust out of my throat. The Bohn Body Armor skull cap really helps me keep my helmet dry and keeps my helmet smelling better on those “not so fresh days” :ROFLMAO:
AA46DA97-3CE8-4D6F-AEC4-B80AFB19CB68.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
...I'm jealous also. I'm about to spend a week within 2 hours of the Tail of the Dragon and won't have my motorcycle with me. :(....
Any motorcycle rental businesses there?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Any motorcycle rental businesses there?
I'm sure there are, but my family might not like it if I took the day to go riding. I just got to Gatlinburg, TN today and driving the roads around here makes me want my motorcycle. It's only an 8 hour drive from me so I'll have to ride back down here at some point.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
How timely! Was in Indianapolis on my bike today. Stopped at my bank, was walking toward the door getting ready to put my mask on and was approached by an officer informing me masks were required outside and I was in violation of city ordinance blah blah blah. Told him I was getting ready to put one on and had it in my hand. Not good enough to avoid a stern warning. I get it.

in short, masks aren’t required until you get off your bike. Then they’re required in more cities - and they will cite you.
I would have left my helmet on. I will also wager that the wording of the "rule" only says to where outdoors when social distancing can't be maintained.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where I was in east Tennessee the rules were ludicrous! Strict on mask wearing except where they weren't. Like I am going to catch covid at a bank, but not a restaurant. My head is shaking as I write this. :eek::unsure::whistle::rolleyes:
Agree. Lots of confusion - and people are dying because of it. Too many versions of the truth now - and way too many from politicians and non-scientists. People need to use common sense in the absence of any meaningful leadership - of which we have zero. We must follow the science. Period. It’s clear that Covid is airborne. As a physicist, I think of Covid as an aerosol liquid. 6’ isn’t far enough! Would you want someone sneezing at you from only 6’ away? Probably not. Aerosols travel much further and hang in the air much longer than sneeze droplets. Today I’m distancing 15’ or more and I have no problem wearing a mask. I’m good with protecting me somewhat and protecting others around me from me. Unfortunately, too few people understand physics and are content to rely on the advice of the ignorant to protect them - and they’ll die and kill others because of it. Doctors can’t fix that.

That rant said, laws are out there and I’m, like you, finding no clear standard or enforcement. I’m doubtful my trip from my bike to the bank door with no others around represented a biological risk, however, it clearly was a legal one!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Agree. Lots of confusion - and people are dying because of it. Too many versions of the truth now - and way too many from politicians and non-scientists. People need to use common sense in the absence of any meaningful leadership - of which we have zero. We must follow the science. Period. It’s clear that Covid is airborne. As a physicist, I think of Covid as an aerosol liquid. 6’ isn’t far enough! Would you want someone sneezing at you from only 6’ away? Probably not. Aerosols travel much further and hang in the air much longer than sneeze droplets. Today I’m distancing 15’ or more and I have no problem wearing a mask. I’m good with protecting me somewhat and protecting others around me from me. Unfortunately, too few people understand physics and are content to rely on the advice of the ignorant to protect them - and they’ll die and kill others because of it. Doctors can’t fix that.

That rant said, laws are out there and I’m, like you, finding no clear standard or enforcement. I’m doubtful my trip from my bike to the bank door with no others around represented a biological risk, however, it clearly was a legal one!
Another issue is that you wearing a mask when you are healthy can make you more susceptible to catching the virus if you are not regimented in your hygiene. Case in point: saw a couple on the sidewalk with masks on and cups of coffee in their hand. Every time they wanted to take a sip they lowered the mask with the free hand. No sanitizing so now they are bringing a potentially infected hand to their face. They would have been better off with no mask.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts