Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold my 08 KLR650 and I am pretty sure the Versys is going to be it's replacement. I had a couple of questions before I jump into it though, something I wish I did before I bought the KLR. Does any of your bikes burn oil? The new KLR's are guzzling it. What is your rpm at 80mph and 90mph? The KLR was about to explode at 80mph. I have been hanging around this forum checking things out and I am suprised at how little you are all complaining about the bike. Over at the KLR site it is just complaint after complaint about things going wrong with the bike. This to me is a good sign you are all pretty satisfied with your bikes. I just want to wait a couple of months and get a black or green 09.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just over 2300 mi. on my V. I have noticed no oil consumption at all and I keep a good eye on it. As for RPM at 80 or 90 I don't usually travel at that speed but at 70 it holds consistant at 5000 rpm. I think I touched 80 once and it was at around 5500 +/-. This is the first road bike since I was a kid and I could not be happier. Yes there are a couple of minor issues but in all this bike has power, handeling, great mpg, and with some minor modifications comfort. Good choice for me and I looked at alot of other bikes before purchasing my V....Scott

·
Registered
716 Posts
About 2200 miles on my V. No oil consumption. I think the bike is at or around 5400-5500 rpm at 80 mph. I usually only hit 90 mph briefly, but think it's around 6k rpm. I chose the Versys after tooling around on a friend's KLR for an afternoon and knew I wanted a more road oriented bike. I think you'll be happy with a versys should you decide to buy one. :thumb:

·
Registered
371 Posts
3800 miles, no oil consumption.

sustained riding at 90 MPH (damn ATL interstates) runs just a crack above 6K rpm. It is smooth in the upper ranges, so no problems there. Worst vibes are below 5K rpm, and even there it ain't bad. Overall it's a real smooth powerplant considering it's a twin.

When running in the mountains and what-not, I try keep it around 7K rpm. It's real smooth, good power, and the engine braking is perfect.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I believe everyone is giving the speed on the speedo, which is off a bit (8%). The GPS gives a much more accurate speed. If I remember correctly I believe at 6000 RPM you are doing about 80, but 6000 RPM is really smooth.

As for your other questions, no oil consumption at all at 3000 miles. This is my first bike, but it is a great commuter and fun bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
'tis true - most of the complaints I see on here are about the legendary uncomfortable seat, a cosmetic issue here and there, and rarely a mechanical issue. I did the motoman break in and have seen no oil use in the first 1,000 miles or so. If you plan to do a lot of high speed riding, there is always the cheap ($45 ish) 16 tooth front sprocket upgrade.

But overall, mechanically - I couldn't be happier, ergonomically - could use some work (but I am 6'5"), cosmetically - a few bits of customization here and there would be nice too...but doesn't everybody do that?!?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I believe everyone is giving the speed on the speedo, which is off a bit (8%). The GPS gives a much more accurate speed. If I remember correctly I believe at 6000 RPM you are doing about 80, but 6000 RPM is really smooth.

As for your other questions, no oil consumption at all at 3000 miles. This is my first bike, but it is a great commuter and fun bike.
Mine has a speedo healer on it, so my speeds are actual.

·
Registered
371 Posts
'tis true - most of the complaints I see on here are about the legendary uncomfortable seat, a cosmetic issue here and there, and rarely a mechanical issue. I did the motoman break in and have seen no oil use in the first 1,000 miles or so. If you plan to do a lot of high speed riding, there is always the cheap ($45 ish) 16 tooth front sprocket upgrade.

But overall, mechanically - I couldn't be happier, ergonomically - could use some work (but I am 6'5"), cosmetically - a few bits of customization here and there would be nice too...but doesn't everybody do that?!?
I like the seat, but my last bike was a Honda, and they make the most brutal seats.

I only have two complaints with the Versys.

-The mirrors vibrate too much. A minor inconvenience.

-Wind noise is too high. Even with a tall shield. I wear earplugs, and this bike, by far, has the worst wind noise of any I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your guys input, it really helps. Sounds like a pretty wise choice to go the the V. I am not a speed demon by any means, I just asked to see how hard the bike had to work to get to a high speed. Like the earlier post said sometimes on the FWY (I-5 in Oregon in my case) 80 is the normal speed to go to keep from getting ran over! One more question, I hear alot about rpms around 5500 to 7000 so how is that in regards to getting close to maxing out? I know the redline is about 10.5 right? I ask because the KLR650 redline was about 7.5 but she was reved up and screaming for releif at 6000 to 6500.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
6000 is cruising. You still have plenty of power and speed to spare. You still have plenty of passing power when you are at 80! I have run 80+ for an hour.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My 6k mile VS does not use any oil, and I ride it pretty hard. It will cruise at 80 without breaking a sweat. And when you need to wick it up to pass it still has the beans to do it. I have had mine up to 125MPH indicated 113 by GPS, and it was still pulling, and not even close to redline.

Remember the Vs has been out a few years in Europe, so I think most of the bugs have been worked out.

Todd

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sharrison put it perfect, that is what I wanted to hear, going 80 with plenty of rpm and power to spare, just in case. =-))

·
Registered
312 Posts
layfju,

I just recently sold my 2007 KLR650 to buy my 2008 Versys. From what I hear you saying, the Versys is the perfect bike for you.

It doesn't have to work at all to get to 80. In fact, you get there a heck of a lot quicker than you mean to unless you're careful. I am planning to install a throttle lock just to keep my speed down when cruising. I am finding that since it's so much smoother at the higher speeds than I was used to on my KLR, I tend to go a lot faster than I really should. Available power is just flat out not an issue with this bike. It is no liter crotch rocket, but I can't imagine anyone complaining about the available power of this bike. BTW, I weigh a little over 200 lbs. Also, I've ridden on the interstate two-up with my wife with zero issues. At around 6000 rpm you're really just getting into the sweet spot of the engine.

Mudarra mentioned vibration and wind noise. I can't compare these to other street bikes, but I can tell you for sure that this bike doesn't even compare to the KLR in either of these categories. I have no problem seeing clearly in my stock mirrors and the wind is about at the level that I expect on a motorcycle. The KLR, for all it's merits, does not handle wind very well, so it's really not a great comparison. Keep in mind I am coming from the older style 2007 model KLR, so wind and vibes for me were more than you were getting on your '08.

All in all the Versys is a great bike. I am struggling a little bit with shifting in the lower two gears being a little clunky, but I'm starting to wonder if that's my technique moreso than the bike. If it turns out that I'm right, then I guess I could say that the Versys transmission is not as forgiving as the KLR. I bought my bike used, though, so it might be that there is something wrong that I just haven't diagnosed yet.

Good luck with your decision. I hope you get what you want with the color choices. I think a lot of people are going to be upset if they don't come out with a green and/or black model. Like a lot of others, I was put off by the bright red at first, but I'm finding I really like it.

Best regards and welcome.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Waiting on black or green?

I have been hanging around this forum checking things out and I am suprised at how little you are all complaining about the bike. Over at the KLR site it is just complaint after complaint about things going wrong with the bike. This to me is a good sign you are all pretty satisfied with your bikes. I just want to wait a couple of months and get a black or green 09.
I am in the same boat! Just trying to convince the wife to let me keep the other bike, that will fill the empty void that the Versys can not do...Just sitting here Waiting!!!! Here is the picture of the other bike:

Just seem to be happy with the Kawasaki product! Hurry up October??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts