Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 650

I don't know if it would be better to post these separately, I don't wanna spam up the forums. If they would be better broken up, someone let me know!

1. Buzzing. There is an audible buzzing coming from the bike. It sounds like its coming from just under the gas tank or around the keys. I've tried the obvious things, making sure the keys aren't touching anything, no accessories are touching anything, nothing looks loose on the surface. I know these are expected to have some vibration but this is a buzzing that increases with RPM when cruising, goes away about about 6k or if it's under 6k and under load (like going up a hill in the wrong gear). Is this normal for the V650?

2. The buttons on my dash don't really respond as far as switching modes or resetting the drip ODO. Is this common and is there a fix? I've tried lightly pressing, firmly mashing, gloves, no gloves etc etc.

3. My kickstand pad came off and will need to be replaced, but I haven't been able to find a new one. Any suggestions? Also, when you put your kick stand down, and lean the bike on to it, does your kickstand move? I'll leave a link to what mine does.

4. This isn't mechanical but after 2 days and 640 miles my tail end HURTS! I have a sheepskin pelt and under that I stuffed a piece of one of those foam mattress pads but I was getting hot spots for sure! Does wearing compression underwear help with this? I was wearing cotton undies and thick kevlar riding jeans..... it was a little damp by the end of the day.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll chime in...

The buzzing... that's most likely your cowling/instrument cluster. It's a common thing for the V, and can be solved with strategically placed foam rubber. There's probably a write-up here somewhere.

Kickstand movement... normal.

Dash buttons... hmmm. Maybe take it apart and clean? Again, probably another user here with the same issue.

Seat issues... normal. The V isn't known for a plush seat from the factory... then again, most bikes aren't. Lots of different ways to address this. Cotton underwear isn't the best choice. Find some wicking type clothing to wear against the skin. Polypropylene or polyester type performance fabric underwear.

Also I never thought I'd be giving underwear advice on a motorcycle forum. We live in crazy times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That movement ground down my old kickstand pad, I guess that expected? I haven't really seen another one to replace it with.

edit: never mind I found one from Givi

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the buzzing to. SEAT - if you are willing to spend the money, get a Russel. Day-Long | Motorcycle Seats | Russell Cycle I have done 12 hours of seat time on mine on a single day. no issues. verse about after 1 or 2 hours on stock but hurts. for my stock seat I had memory foam added in seating area. so still looks stock but a big improvement. I can ride for about 4 hours before butt starts to hurt. there are several companies on internet that do the memory for foam add/replacement.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As to the buttons not working on the instrument cluster, this is a known issue on the Gen 1 bikes. I have a 2009 650 like yours and the buttons on my instrument cluster don't work either. I've tried the recommended fixes that I found on this forum, but none of them seemed to work.

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
No offense intended but the seat thing is often just a matter of more seat time. Back when we were riding a lot, the first few rides of the season were a bit uncomfortable. But like anything else physical, you eventually get "in riding shape" and your body adapts. If you don't do many long days in the saddle, there are few seats that you will find comfortable after a long day just sitting there.

I had a buzzing and found that one of the plastic bits that goes into the rubber grommet on the fairing was broken off. I got some sticky rubber bits to take up the slack and all is quiet now.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Several brands of good seats are out there. I have a Sargent and love it.

Moto-Skiveez underwear is great stuff. So are their socks. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
136 Posts
2009 650

I don't know if it would be better to post these separately, I don't wanna spam up the forums. If they would be better broken up, someone let me know!

1. Buzzing. There is an audible buzzing coming from the bike. It sounds like its coming from just under the gas tank or around the keys. I've tried the obvious things, making sure the keys aren't touching anything, no accessories are touching anything, nothing looks loose on the surface. I know these are expected to have some vibration but this is a buzzing that increases with RPM when cruising, goes away about about 6k or if it's under 6k and under load (like going up a hill in the wrong gear). Is this normal for the V650?

2. The buttons on my dash don't really respond as far as switching modes or resetting the drip ODO. Is this common and is there a fix? I've tried lightly pressing, firmly mashing, gloves, no gloves etc etc.

3. My kickstand pad came off and will need to be replaced, but I haven't been able to find a new one. Any suggestions? Also, when you put your kick stand down, and lean the bike on to it, does your kickstand move? I'll leave a link to what mine does.

4. This isn't mechanical but after 2 days and 640 miles my tail end HURTS! I have a sheepskin pelt and under that I stuffed a piece of one of those foam mattress pads but I was getting hot spots for sure! Does wearing compression underwear help with this? I was wearing cotton undies and thick kevlar riding jeans..... it was a little damp by the end of the day.
My Gen II stand does the same thing. It's the bloody spring being on the inside
instead of the outside... like most bikes. If the spring's on the outside
it automaticaly takes up the freeplay "outwards" where the fork at the
top of the stand is mounted on the frame... so it does not slide outward
when it contacts the ground as your video well demonstrates.

I made a "foot" out of 7075 T6 plate... scrap from the QANTAS maintenance
facility at Tullamarine Airport. There's 2 m4 threads in the machined piece that
I fastened the aly plate to... with countersunk SS machine screws... which
you cant see as I glued some bicycle tyre to the bottom of the plate to
give it traction when deployed... to stop that annoying sliding syndrome.
of the foot... on ashphalt and concrete.

See photos:

Pre, bicycle tyre and pre cutting for swing arm clearance:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re Buzzing: I had this problem also, but it wasn't the instrument cluster itself.
The early Versys has a split fairing that wraps around the instrument cluster & headlight on each side. The L and R fairing do not join in the middle under the windshield AND they are not flush against the headlight enclosure. The leading edge of the fairing is flexible (to an extent). My buzzing was caused by the flexible, unsupported leading edge of the fairing vibrating like crazy while riding.
My fix: I jammed a tiny amount of folded old bicycle inner tube under the leading edges to prevent vibration. Still working five years later, free, invisible, and practically no labour at all.
Also check that all the fairing bolts are present and tight to spec.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re Buzzing: I had this problem also, but it wasn't the instrument cluster itself.
The early Versys has a split fairing that wraps around the instrument cluster & headlight on each side. The L and R fairing do not join in the middle under the windshield AND they are not flush against the headlight enclosure. The leading edge of the fairing is flexible (to an extent). My buzzing was caused by the flexible, unsupported leading edge of the fairing vibrating like crazy while riding.
My fix: I jammed a tiny amount of folded old bicycle inner tube under the leading edges to prevent vibration. Still working five years later, free, invisible, and practically no labour at all.
Also check that all the fairing bolts are present and tight to spec.
Pretty much the same deal on the gen ll 650 (y)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can do... Give me 1/2 an hour or so, and I'll upload a photo.

I've got an old Fujifilm S6500fd "bridge" camera ($50 used on Fleabay) that's the ducks guts
for taking documentry images for use on the net.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts