Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Premium Member
2020 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
You guys in the middle of the country probably don't have anything to worry about for some time.

Those of us on the coasts well....that's a different story.

Here in Communist California that reality may be sooner than most think. Our oh so wise handlers in the Politburo up in Sacramento have been talking about eliminating all internal combustion engines for some time now. Probably will begin with lawn mowers and leaf blowers then progress up the scale.

Governor New-Scum just signed into law the elimination of all new gas powered vehicles effective in 2035. That's only 15 more years from now. I probably won't be around here then but I feel sorry for my kids and grand kids. Of course this assumes the world is still here by then. As crazy as things are now, it's hard to imagine how our world will look then.

As a former (and recovering) Californian, I am heartbroken to see the decline of my state. We were once the fifth largest world economy with unmatched innovation and a freedom to live how you wanted everywhere you looked. Everything was possible. The house I purchased in Tiburon for an then absurd $750k in the early 1990鈥檚 recently sold for almost $23m! That could have been my retirement! It鈥檚 something very different today and my heart sinks every time I visit and witness the total decline of one of the most amazing places and cultures in the world. Paradise lost. 馃槩

Registered
You guys in the middle of the country probably don't have anything to worry about for some time.

Those of us on the coasts well....that's a different story.

Here in Communist California that reality may be sooner than most think. Our oh so wise handlers in the Politburo up in Sacramento have been talking about eliminating all internal combustion engines for some time now. Probably will begin with lawn mowers and leaf blowers then progress up the scale.

Governor New-Scum just signed into law the elimination of all new gas powered vehicles effective in 2035. That's only 15 more years from now. I probably won't be around here then but I feel sorry for my kids and grand kids. Of course this assumes the world is still here by then. As crazy as things are now, it's hard to imagine how our world will look then.

Haha, tell us how you really feel, Hawkerjet!

I mean, to be fair, 15 years warning to get rid of a technology that has been basically unchanged for over 120 years seems ok to me, plus all those gas powered vehicles that already exist are grandfathered in, just like all those street-legal 2 strokes from the 80s and earlier that we still see on the street from time to time. Personally, i don't think you're going to need legislation to get people to switch over to EVs. Case in point, the FX Zero looks like an amazing motorbike. If they could figure out a way to get the price down and increase their range to about 300 miles, i'd buy one in a heartbeat. I mean, they're basically maintenance free, have unbeatable acceleration, carry their weight really low so they feel lighter than they are, and i love how quiet they are; it's nice to ride on empty roads and the only thing you hear is the tires on the asphalt. Of course, i agree, it will be a sad day for those motorcyclists who like to go vroom vroom. Funny how those who probably put that legislation into place did so because they're also worried about their kids and grandkids. Sounds like everyone is terrified of the future, no matter where they lie on the political spectrum.

Registered
The problem I see with the electric vehicles is where will we get the necessary juice?

Here in California we experience rolling black outs as demand exceeds supply during the peak summer months. Combine this with a housing explosion in the central valley that will add more demand on an already over loaded system.

The 2 remaining nuclear power plants are slated to be shut down with zero plans to replace them.

So called green energy sources simply cannot make up the difference as things now stand.

Imagine millions of energy hungry electric vehicles emerging on the scene with an electric grid already unable to reliable keep up with the demand.

And then there are those not so green highly toxic battery's. They require huge amounts of energy and tearing up the landscape to mine all that rare earth stuff to build them. Then when they are spent in 8 to 10 years what will we do to dispose of them? Green electric advocates need to consider this issue as it will increase toxic waste by orders of magnitude greater then their worst nuclear energy nightmare could ever produce.

Sorry for the rant, but these are issues that many don't think of but need to be addressed before we re-invent the wheel.

Registered
Electric motors are just a better technology. One moving part vs fifty minimum in an internal combustion motor. I'm not gonna miss all the money and time upkeeping our gas powered motors. Or breathing all the crap that comes out of the tailpipe. Electric car motor is a big washing machine motor, nothing to it. If you don't like battery powered you can get hydrogen fuel cell. Maximum torque at any RPM, no gear shifting, no noise. Motorcycles...I hear Kawi and the other Japanese have agreed on a standard battery configuration for their E motorcycles which are coming soon. Expensive now, I cant see it catching on like cars. But E bicycles have have really taken off in the city here. This is pushing scooters and small urban motorcycles out of the market I imagine. I've got an E trail bicycle 4 years in and Ill say I cant believe how good the technology is period. Including the battery pack which they are discovering now after 10 years are better than they predicted. I'm not sure I could ride underwater crossing a river though like a KLR though! For sure the E waste has to be figured out world-wide just like plastic pollution. We are just tapping the surface with electricity. Its everywhere, in our bodies and involved with everything up to gravity which we don't understand. So if scientists say we have to cut down on CO2 to avoid our climate going back to the Pliocene, its the logical solution. California with all its population just happens to be at the crux here as far as the consequences. In the Arctic its warming twice as fast but not many people there. Permafrost is melting and at this rate all the methane being released will be a bigger problem for all of us.

Registered
In the Arctic its warming twice as fast but not many people there. Permafrost is melting and at this rate all the methane being released will be a bigger problem for all of us.
There is another perspective held my many scientists but sadly their voice has been edited out of the picture. This is very informative and is only 5 minutes in length.

Registered
Nothing new here. Its called Geological time scale, When we emerged from the last ice age 15,000 years ago no one lived in California until our first people that came over the Bering . Now theres 30 million. You better believe we are interested in controlling the climate no matter whats causing the warming.

Registered
If i recall correctly, there has been some new evidence uncovered that has pushed the timeline of humans in the Americas back to an astonishing 130,000 years ago, based on marks left on woolly mammoth bones by humans trying to get to the marrow, though the evidence is still disputed. But yes, that's going off topic on a discussion that has already gone off topic, haha.

Anyway, bringing it all together, maybe motorcycling MIGHT go away, if we end up destroying ourselves and turning the earth into a hellscape. Still, i've seen lots of motorcycles in of post-apocalyptic films and i love their steampunk designs, including crudely welded spikes and steel plates, dangling chains, and giant tailpipes. Who knows, maybe the end of the world could create a boom in engineering creativity as we try to navigate rough climates and completely deteriorating roads, giving motorcycling the boost it desperately needs.

Registered
It would be smarter to ban cars... especially SUVs Especially SUVs which more often
than not are carrying just one person.

1.Motorcycles use less fossil fuel to run... saving finite resources.

2.The construction of motorcycles use less materials... which are also a finite resource.

3. Less energy of course to produce less materials saving even more finite resources.

4.Motorcycles cause less wear and tear on the roads saving even more finite resources
and man power; man power that could be used to produce food, art, social services etc etc.

5. Motorcycles cause less road "congestion" for any given amount of traffic...
The VAST majority of peak period traffic ie Cars/SUVs contain just the driver.

6. Motorcycles are far less dangerous to third parties ie. the larger/heavier the vehicle the greater the damage it causes.

If logic and reason prevailed the "authorities"
would be subsidizing motorcyclists/motorcycles,
and taxing/banning the living shit out of vehicles like Toyota Prados etc

Toyota Fuckwitmobile:

Registered
In New Zealand motorcycles cost more to put on the road to discourage their use.
Registration cost for a bike in Victoria Australia is similar to NZ.
I don't know about now, but historically it cost less than half
to register a motorcycle in Western Australia than Victoria.

What we need are Prime Ministers that actually care for
us and the environment.

Registered
Hence, it always comes back to the topic of irresponsible and incompetent leadership.
And/or badly advised leadership. Motorcyclists are a minority (even though we should be a majority)
so most people have not got a clue to, or care what our needs are.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts