Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hell no! They aren't going anywhere, at least not in our lifetime. Someone has to invent flying motorbikes first, and even that is a bit farfetched from what we have right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the United States, motorcycling is more or less a hobby; it waxes and wanes in popularity based on a lot of different factors. But in most other countries, motorcycling is THE way to get around. Motorcycles are affordable, convenient, well-suited to warmer climates, and capable of driving on poorly maintained roads.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
In the United States, motorcycling is more or less a hobby; it waxes and wanes in popularity based on a lot of different factors. But in most other countries, motorcycling is THE way to get around. Motorcycles are affordable, convenient, well-suited to warmer climates, and capable of driving on poorly maintained roads.
I agree completely. In the U.S. motorcycles are viewed as toys by non-riders and many legislators, while in the rest of the world they're considered a mode of transportation. Disclaimer: Haven't been to Asia, but I've traveled through Europe, Africa, and the Middle East and can attest to the motorcycle being a widely accepted and legitimate mode of transport.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am 28 years old and who knows what other solutions I will see in the development of engines, cars, everything in general.

Maybe just motorcycles will be unnecessary and unprofitable.

People in my country generally have motorcycles for fun, or because they don't know where to spend money.

Even today people tell me I'm crazy because I bought motorcycles and not a car, the main reason is that you can't ride a motorcycle in the rain, and that motorcycles can't be ridden when it's cold, you don't have space for stuff ect.
If I hadn't bought motorcycles but a car, I clearly doubt that I would have done 20,000 km with it in 1.5 years, maybe I would have made 50% of the kilometers compared to a motorcycle.

Riding a motorcycle has its own special charm that I simply don’t have with a car.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The insurance industry will take all the bikes off the road around here long before any government does. It is to the point already that there are bikes no average person can afford to insure. I could see that list only getting longer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The insurance industry will take all the bikes off the road around here long before any government does. It is to the point already that there are bikes no average person can afford to insure. I could see that list only getting longer.
Agree. My son bought a motorcycle when he was 18. He was thinking a naked sport bike like the Yamaha FZ07. Insurance for him on a bike like that was going to be around $2,000 per year. I pay about $120 a year for me and my Versys 650. He ended up buying a Honda Grom and to add him and the bike to my insurance was around $300 per year. But I don't know how these young adults can afford the insurance when they're buying liter sport bikes. And it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Between increasing insurance rates, new tech that adds huge costs to new bike models (and adds little to the safety of the ride) I see the handwriting on the wall. New riders will be priced out of the market before our "nanny" states can muster the will to outright ban them. With a population that favors the illusion of safety at any cost, I can see motorcycles becoming more and more marginalized.
And even if the economics of owning a bike don't kill the industry, I wonder how riding a bike in traffic that's dominated by autonomous vehicles would work?
No idea when all this might come together to kill the industry, but barring unforeseen events, I would say it's inevitable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Agree. My son bought a motorcycle when he was 18. He was thinking a naked sport bike like the Yamaha FZ07. Insurance for him on a bike like that was going to be around $2,000 per year. I pay about $120 a year for me and my Versys 650. He ended up buying a Honda Grom and to add him and the bike to my insurance was around $300 per year. But I don't know how these young adults can afford the insurance when they're buying liter sport bikes. And it's only going to get worse."

Interesting. Do all of those rates include collision and comprehensive coverage? If so, your rate seems very low. I pay about $100/year for $250,000/$500,000 liability coverage in NY.

·
Registered
301 Posts
"Agree. My son bought a motorcycle when he was 18. He was thinking a naked sport bike like the Yamaha FZ07. Insurance for him on a bike like that was going to be around $2,000 per year. I pay about $120 a year for me and my Versys 650. He ended up buying a Honda Grom and to add him and the bike to my insurance was around $300 per year. But I don't know how these young adults can afford the insurance when they're buying liter sport bikes. And it's only going to get worse."

Interesting. Do all of those rates include collision and comprehensive coverage? If so, your rate seems very low. I pay about $100/year for $250,000/$500,000 liability coverage in NY.
Yes, that's collision and comp on both bikes. I live in IL and am 45 with a clean driving record. So I'm sure living in IL over NY makes the biggest difference.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Probably not, but where we ride could. I've already seen it at resort communities I've visited.

The linked article is a good window into the danger of governing based on protecting us from our own choices. Anything in the way of restrictions can be justified under the guise of reducing injuries. Literally every freedom can be taken. Add in the argument that others are obligated to pay for the health care etc, and it is even more seductive to agree to restricting people's choices.

I don't doubt the nanny state mentality will get ever stronger, and we will see restrictions on motorcycles to include bans on gasoline engines. Luckily, electricity just comes out of wall sockets with100% efficiency and no pollution to create it, and there is no environmental impact wrt batteries. /sarcasm

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
Luckily, electricity just comes out of wall sockets with 100% efficiency and no pollution to create it, and there is no environmental impact with batteries. /sarcasm
Yah - AIN'T it a CROCK...?

·
Premium Member
2020 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
254 Posts
Rant Alert!

With so many REAL problems in the world begging to be solved including but not limited to pollution, cancer, diabetes, climate change, suicide, mental health, healthcare, violent crime, racism, sexual abuse, sex trafficking, population stress, corruption and Golden Girl reruns, it makes sense to neuter us belligerent ‘rebels’ to create the illusion something positive is being accomplished by governments that pander to increasing populism and irrational fear.

While the scenario in this article may appear far-fetched at first glance, once you factor in the cowardly nature and behaviors of spineless politicians today and public sensationalism, I believe it has potential to become a reality in many places. I know for a fact it’s being discussed in our national parks. It doesn’t have to make sense anymore. When you look at the USA today, stranger sh*t is happening here every day! 🙄

·
Registered
355 Posts
Anything is possible. It all comes down to legislation, correct? If I am wrong then please correct me. So make your votes count! Just saying...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe our wait is over...what say you Representative Granoturko!? 😂🤣...🤔

Reactions: Shibumik

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe our wait is over...what say you Representative Granoturko!? 😂🤣...🤔
Oh boy... Hmm let's see. I'd try to make it so that all national and state parks establish a certain amount of dirt bike trails based on their size. In an effort to improve traffic, I'd offer tax incentives/rebates to those living in cities who trade in their cars for two wheel vehicles. And establish motorcycle/bicycle only streets as an extra incentive.I'd also take people's hard earned tax money and use it to run a "watch out for motorcyclists" advertising campaign so that we stop getting t-boned.

Honestly though, there are so many issues that motorcyclists disagree on within their own community it'd be hard to campaign on anything else. For example, talking about repealing helmet laws and dialing back the environmental restrictions that have made our bikes heavier and more expensive is a sure-fire way to start an argument, not to mention the public would probably have little sympathy for motorcyclists in that regard.

Oh and i'd sign an executive order for Yamaha to make a WR450R, and for Kawasaki to make a replacement for the KLR that is 100 pounds lighter : )

I don't know, did I miss anything?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Heck, our motorcycle community is still divided over which engine oil and chain lube is best. I'm convinced that we will never make it. 😂 😂 😂

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You guys in the middle of the country probably don't have anything to worry about for some time.

Those of us on the coasts well....that's a different story.

Here in Communist California that reality may be sooner than most think. Our oh so wise handlers in the Politburo up in Sacramento have been talking about eliminating all internal combustion engines for some time now. Probably will begin with lawn mowers and leaf blowers then progress up the scale.

Governor New-Scum just signed into law the elimination of all new gas powered vehicles effective in 2035. That's only 15 more years from now. I probably won't be around here then but I feel sorry for my kids and grand kids. Of course this assumes the world is still here by then. As crazy as things are now, it's hard to imagine how our world will look then.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts