1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Banned
895 Posts
I don't think he should have been fired, but I do think he should have been made to go back on the beat for a few months to;
A/ Teach him a lesson
&
B/ get some of that fat off him!...........;)

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
My opinion he should not of lost his job but at least what would of been fair was give him a warning, some re training on how to be a better racer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't think he should be fired for racing but he should be fired for poor judgement, what a dumbass.
I'm sorry, that was very stupid of him, he's wearing a uniform and represents alot of people wearing that same uniform, he's riding on equipment that was bought and maintained by taxpayers and he's out of the road being a punk and using the equipment as a toy in public and on video. His judgement is too bad to be a cop.
I'm all for fun but you just can't do that while working and on the taxpayer's dollar.
I work for the government and I drive a government vehicle that was taxpayer bought, I wouldn't dare drag race it and if I did I would most certainly be fired and I haven't even touched on the whole "it's his job to enforce the law" aspect of this.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
The cop is now expected to get a death sentence, as is evidently warranted.

The man who recorded a drag race he had with a Montgomery police officer says he's starting a petition to get the officer back his job... Spillers believes the officer's job should never have been in jeopardy.

It's obviously not a drag race at all. Cop took off quickly, and was caught up easily. No spin, no wheelie... He was simply being a good friendly cop. All this fuss is of course absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts

Uploaded on Jul 18, 2011

Eric C. Lewis, while on duty and in a marked police car, enticing another on-duty officer to engage in a drag race on a public highway.

This occurred in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on the US Highway 17 approach to a sixty foot clearance bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway.

After drag racing, Lewis tears up the grass median by spinning his police cars wheels and dispenses advice to his subordinate on a good location to hide to avoid supervisors.

While all this is taking place, Lewis has a civilian with him, endangering his life as well as setting a terrible example of police misconduct.

Lewis "voluntarily" resigned. He was not cited for racing, which carries a one-year driver's license revocation, nor any other offense.

Lewis was then hired by William U. Booker, Jr, Town Manager for the Town of Atlantic Beach, South Carolina, not just as a police officer, but as the police chief, with no supervision.

The (Charleston) Post & Courier did an excellent series of articles entitled "Broken Badges" which documented how bad law enforcement officers get rehired, rather than having their law enforcement certification revoked by the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think the whole thing is ridiculous, as in ROTFL ridiculous. The video with the guy who misses the green light, the cop with his "turbo", the "exclusive" newscast, and especially the reporter onsite. She's like OMG! This is the biggest news in Montgomery! Can you believe something so unimaginable could ever happen here? And her questions, Did you know racing was illegal? Do you think an officer breaking the law no matter what level, burglary, drag racing- do you think something is wrong with that? Yeah, because racing and burglary are equivalent levels of crime.

And then the dude on the crotch rocket, he seemed to be getting the biggest kick out of being interviewed by the newscaster. Is he not aware that he has admitted to the crime on camera and will have to pay whatever fines/penalties?

I'm sorry the guy lost his job. He'll bounce back just fine though. Maybe he'll go work for a better PD somewhere.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't think he should be fired for racing but he should be fired for poor judgement, what a dumbass.
I'm sorry, that was very stupid of him, he's wearing a uniform and represents alot of people wearing that same uniform, he's riding on equipment that was bought and maintained by taxpayers and he's out of the road being a punk and using the equipment as a toy in public and on video. His judgement is too bad to be a cop.
I'm all for fun but you just can't do that while working and on the taxpayer's dollar.
I work for the government and I drive a government vehicle that was taxpayer bought, I wouldn't dare drag race it and if I did I would most certainly be fired and I haven't even touched on the whole "it's his job to enforce the law" aspect of this.
+1, agree with you totally. Not how I want my "public safety officers" to do their job.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
We must punish the evil doers! ;)

No one is above the law except the higher ups! Sport stars, and Martha Stewart because she is a billionaire. ;)

The rest of you sorry low lifers shall be punished to the full extent of the law! :usa:

·
Registered
123 Posts
The title of the thread states "Cop gets fired...". But in the link it states "The officer resigned his position with the force...."

So this thread is misleading, the newspaper article is not necessarily accurate, we do not know the full background or if the officer has done anything else during his career that could cause him to resign as opposed to be sacked.

On face value I think discipline such as a transfer out of the motorcycle department or a fine would be an appropriate punishment.

If cops want to have fun, they should do it when no one is looking!

·
Banned
895 Posts
The title of the thread states "Cop gets fired...". But in the link it states "The officer resigned his position with the force...."

So this thread is misleading, the newspaper article is not necessarily accurate, we do not know the full background or if the officer has done anything else during his career that could cause him to resign as opposed to be sacked.

On face value I think discipline such as a transfer out of the motorcycle department or a fine would be an appropriate punishment.

If cops want to have fun, they should do it when no one is looking!
Now you just stop all this sensible & logical talking mister!!!

This is America & the real facts of whatever happened are irrelevant!

What is needed in this case is hype & mass over reaction because this story is bigger than the tragedy that just happened in the Philippines!!!

;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
+1, agree with you totally. Not how I want my "public safety officers" to do their job.
Exactly, he's not your buddy, he's not your friend, he's a professional who is at work (or should be).
I will say, most of you guys are alot more liberal with your tax dollars than I am.
You ok paying for hookers and drugs for your government officials as well?

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The good news, everyone caught racing in Montgomery AL gets a free pass from here on out.
Shoot, I'm critical of the police when they can't use a turn signal or they perform a California stop at a stop sign, or they drive around with a cell phone stuck to their head (illegal in my work state), but I guess speed contest is OK.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts