Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had something happen yesterday that has never occured before? I will begin by saying it was 111 degrees in my part of the world yesterday. I was riding home from work pulled into the garage killed the bike like normal. Then I heard a gurgle sound and coolant began coming out of the overflow tube. This has never happened before. I realize it is ridiculously hot, but has anyone else seen this before? I also killed the bike with the cooling fan running and probably should have waited for it to finish its cooling cycle.

Anyone use or recommend a different coolant that would help in keeping the bike running cooler?

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
Had something happen yesterday that has never occured before? I will begin by saying it was 111 degrees in my part of the world yesterday. I was riding home from work pulled into the garage killed the bike like normal. Then I heard a gurgle sound and coolant began coming out of the overflow tube. This has never happened before. I realize it is ridiculously hot, but has anyone else seen this before? I also killed the bike with the cooling fan running and probably should have waited for it to finish its cooling cycle.

Anyone use or recommend a different coolant that would help in keeping the bike running cooler?
Your fan stays ON regardless of the ignition's position, till it's cooled enough. Some swear by "Water Wetter".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fasteddie your an Arizona guy and it certainly gets sizzling hot there. Have you ever had the overflow spill over due to heat? I am not to worried about something wrong with the bike. I ride to work in this crazy heat often and this is the first time this has happened. Just curious if this is normal?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Your fan stays ON regardless of the ignition's position, till it's cooled enough. Some swear by "Water Wetter".
I've always heard my fan cut off whenever it's running when I turn the ignition off. Maybe it was cool enough, though...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I asked the dealer a few months ago and they confirmed that fan turns off when ignition is turned off. Mumbled something about not letting the battery run down.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It's called after boil, and happens because the coolant is no longer circulating. The coolant should be caught in the catch bottle, and will be drawn back into the cooling system as the engine cols down.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah.. the fan goes off with the ignition. Tested this a few times.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
This has happened to me several times. More often at high altitude. Never been an issue. I check the coolant level often. In my case I believe the radiator cap needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I am running synthetic oil and I check the coolant level often. I will take a look at the radiator cap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts