Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an '09 V with 18.000km. I have been reading for a short while on the forum and decided to do the tps adjustment, the vacuum mod (doing this one in a few days) and also set my fast idle to 1300 rpm as it was only at ±800 rpm

I did the tps adjust (millimeter counter clockwise) --> bike runs much smoother in low rpm

Then i did the idle adjustement, first did 15km on the bike to warm up the engine, then got back home and kept it running idle (800rpm and adjusted the screw till I got 1300 rpm) did a 30 km trip and parked it in my garage. When I came back an hour later to the bike there had been coolant dripping on the floor. (has never happened previously) I decided to do a short trip to see if the "overheated" light comes on, it never did, I drove 20 km, stopped to fuel up and have a smoke. Returned to the bike and already there where 2 drops, I adjusted the idle a little bit (1200 rpm) because the bike didn't sound "ok". Now it does and did another 40 km and parked the bike in my garage again. After half an hour I returned to the bike and again, 4-5 drips on the floor.

The bike got serviced at my dealer last week and the reservoir was filled. The dripping comes from the tube coming out of the reservoirs top that ends at the right side bottom of the bike (see pic). I did ride the bike in higher rpm and higher than usuall speed to check if everything ran ok with the tps and idle adjustment.
What can this be? I checked if the radiotar fan is rotating and it does, the reservoir itself is also dry. What i did notice is that the engine felt a little warmer on my right leg than usuall.
:thanx:

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yea, idle between 1,100-1,300 is good.

If the coolant was just topped off its possible that its a little high, in which case it will spit out until its at the correct level.

But, do you by any chance ever hear any gurgling/pissing sounds?

If so: Radiator caps can get corroded/mineral deposits built up on the rubber which causes a bad seal, and in turn lets pressure into the expansion tank. This will generally cause the coolant to boil in the expansion tank and then coolant drips out the overflow tube.

This is a simple/cheap fix, requiring you to clean the rubber seal on the radiator cap. I just went through this a few months ago.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just noticed you said the reservoir is dry? That's not good; it should be about half full.

I'm guessing you have a bad radiator cap. I would top off the coolant asap and for safety sake, check the oil for frothy bubbles through the sight glass.

Maybe call/take it back to the dealer and tell them what is happening. If they just serviced it, this seems like something they should remedy for free.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Test your fan by jumping the from a battery and ya the expiation tank should be half way between the two lines. Check and clean your caps and or take it back to the job. They didn't do it right

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
A few drops is normal for the versys. Just do the basic checks on the cooling system to be sure.
Mine has never lost any coolant, so I have to disagree with it being normal.

"I checked if the radiotar fan is rotating and it does, the reservoir itself is also dry."

Did you just spin the fan by hand or do you know it is turning itself on? If you are just turning it by hand it's possible it may not be coming on when it should.
I hope you mean the outside of the reservoir is dry because I assumed you mean the inside as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine has never lost any coolant, so I have to disagree with it being normal.

"I checked if the radiotar fan is rotating and it does, the reservoir itself is also dry."

Did you just spin the fan by hand or do you know it is turning itself on? If you are just turning it by hand it's possible it may not be coming on when it should.
I hope you mean the outside of the reservoir is dry because I assumed you mean the inside as well.
Yes, I mean the outside of the reservoir is dry, it is filled tho. I don't either think it's normal because I never had this previously. And didn't have it on my previous bike (er6) neither. Will try some of the solutions tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yes, I mean the outside of the reservoir is dry, it is filled tho. I don't either think it's normal because I never had this previously. And didn't have it on my previous bike (er6) neither. Will try some of the solutions tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks all!
Yeah like others have said I'd suggest look at the radiator cap, either needs the seal cleaning / replacing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's why... It is just slightly overfilled.
The coolant was indeed over the max line, only a bit, so i removed some with a syringe (probably not the correct english term). Started the bike up, took a 20 km trip, parked the bike and after half an hour there's not a drop on the floor :thumb:
The fan works and rotates
The cap i didn't touch because if it's not needed well it's just not needed :D

Thanks invader and all of you for the help!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have several drops of antifreeze underneath my bike almost every time I get home. But when I'm out on the highway and park it doesn't leak any. I attribute the leak to antifreeze bouncing out of the overflow when coming up the rough road To my Cabin.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an 09 with19000km
It does the exact same thing.
No problem with the bike at all.

Just did the air filter and fluids yesterday ..... All is good.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My 2010 did that and as it was only a few drops every now and then I didn't bother checking, but one day I parked it and heard the coolant boiling. The bike leaving drops of coolant, if the reservoir is not overfilled, is an indicator of radiator cap issues. When I checked my 2010 there were paint flakes in the mating surfaces of the gaskets, this could very well explain the drops...

I did a flush and got a new cap, it never did it again.

My 2014 never did it, I haven't had to add any coolant and it has 42,000kms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts