Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
New Versys owner and new to the forum. Recently bought a garage kept, 2012 Versys 650, with right at 5000 miles on it. I added about 1500 miles to it over the last couple weeks myself.

I was underneath the bike The other day and noticed a wet area on what I think is the bottom of the water pump. After googling a few things, it looks like there is a weep hole in this area and that seems to be where the coolant is coming out of. I never see it drip, it never leaves noticable spots on the garage floor, and my coolant level has stayed the same from what I can tell.

Trying to figure out if this is normal, or a problem that needs to be fixed asap? Any insight or information on the subject would be helpful. 馃

Hopefully these pictures show what I鈥檓 talking about:

Registered
@fasteddiecopeman posted a thread with pics about this ... but I am unable to find the link.
He'll certainly point us in the right direction. :giggle:

Super Moderator

Premium Member
Here you go

Registered
I had the same leak. Few drops overnight, coolant level stayed 鈥渢he same鈥. Replaced the seals, gaskets and no more leaks after couple of 1000kms. Take your time, be careful and it鈥檚 doable. The worst part was to remove rusted on propeller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
New Versys owner and new to the forum. Recently bought a garage kept, 2012 Versys 650, with right at 5000 miles on it. I added about 1500 miles to it over the last couple weeks myself.

I was underneath the bike The other day and noticed a wet area on what I think is the bottom of the water pump. After googling a few things, it looks like there is a weep hole in this area and that seems to be where the coolant is coming out of. I never see it drip, it never leaves noticable spots on the garage floor, and my coolant level has stayed the same from what I can tell.

Trying to figure out if this is normal, or a problem that needs to be fixed asap? Any insight or information on the subject would be helpful. 馃

Hopefully these pictures show what I鈥檓 talking about:

View attachment 180436
View attachment 180437
View attachment 180438
I had a similar issue at about 3000 kms. Only, in my case, it was the coolant. Once or two I saw a wet spot on the floor but put it down to the oil seeping down from the chain (I have a handlebar mounted oiler)

But then, I saw a small green patch after a couple of days and realised it was the coolant. Checked the level and found it to be a bit low. So topped up the reserve tank and kept an eagle eye on it. I was so concerned that after every ride, I used to check most fastidiously for changes in the level and for any spots.

But since that one top-up, no leaks.

Now, here's one strange input. One of my Versys mates does a bit of off-road riding on it. And he said that the leak was not from the water pump bolt but from the coolant excess drain tube - his jumping and bouncing the bike used to cause the coolant to slosh up and into the runoff tube - and that was what had happened in my case too.

I'll check my water pump plug today itself. God...potential Versys issues are far scarier than potential COVID issues :LOL:

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I had a similar issue at about 3000 kms. Only, in my case, it was the coolant. Once or two I saw a wet spot on the floor but put it down to the oil seeping down from the chain (I have a handlebar mounted oiler)

But then, I saw a small green patch after a couple of days and realised it was the coolant. Checked the level and found it to be a bit low. So topped up the reserve tank and kept an eagle eye on it. I was so concerned that after every ride, I used to check most fastidiously for changes in the level and for any spots.

But since that one top-up, no leaks.

Now, here's one strange input. One of my Versys mates does a bit of off-road riding on it. And he said that the leak was not from the water pump bolt but from the coolant excess drain tube - his jumping and bouncing the bike used to cause the coolant to slosh up and into the runoff tube - and that was what had happened in my case too.

I'll check my water pump plug today itself. God...potential Versys issues are far scarier than potential COVID issues :LOL:
Good to know! I haven鈥榯 even thought about it possibly coming from that hose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts