Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘19 X300. 13k miles (21k km). A few months back I did the valves. Adjusted them to the proper side of spec. Put everything back together and it started up and ran fine. Fast forward a month or two and I found my coolant overflow bottle completely empty. Still full in the radiator/engine. Topped up the overflow to about halfway between the marks. Another month and it’s empty again. No leaks on the ground. No smoke from anywhere around the engine or from the exhaust. No smell of burning coolant. Checked my oil and it’s there’s no milkshake color at all. Opened up the cap on the right engine cover and saw a bit of green coolant on the inside. Drained the oil and it still looked like oil without coolant. So I went back into the head and reseated the coolant pipe on the head (I thought I had bumped it loose during the valve job) and no change.

could it be the internal seal on the water pump? No leaks from the outside anywhere at all. If the water pipe o-ring were leaking or damaged you’d see it leaking around that area or smoke when it burns on the engine. Engine runs fine and I see no smoke from the exhaust so I don’t think it’s the head gasket.

Any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Water pump seal , if that would show , after 5 minutes of sitting after at full temp It could also be a slow drip out the weep hole.One other possibility, a bad rad cap, are you certain it is on correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Water pump seal , if that would show , after 5 minutes of sitting after at full temp It could also be a slow drip out the weep hole.One other possibility, a bad rad cap, are you certain it is on correctly.
No leaks at rad cap. It is on correctly. I started the bike up and let it run for a few minutes today and got nothing out the weep hole. Also no leaks anywhere on the ground and coolant is still getting into the oil somewhere. Could it be the mechanical seal between the impeller and the shaft of the water pump?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Oil pressure is usually greater than water pressure.I guess if coolant is getting into the oil, it is possible to have the seal on the coolant side damaged, and once the bike sits with rad pressure, coolant would then travel into the oil.Not a good thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I
Oil pressure is usually greater than water pressure.I guess if coolant is getting into the oil, it is possible to have the seal on the coolant side damaged, and once the bike sits with rad pressure, coolant would then travel into the oil.Not a good thing.
I think I will order all the seals for the water pump, as well as try and seal the valve cover gasket if that doesn’t fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts