Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I wondered if someone might help me with a odd Q ? Got my versys for over just over a year ( and 32 000km) now and for the first time this morning I took my helmet off before switching off the motor after my commute of 80km to work in heavy traffic.

Just after I switched the motor off I heard a noise coming from the overflow tank which sounded like the water boiling. It only last for a second or two then stops.

Is this normal ? My fan does work as I checked when going home. I can't make out for sure if the water is boiling or is it just water being pushed due to the pressure into the tank.

My water temp light doesn't light up either but I assume it's like the low oil indicators found on cars and when that comes on it's already to late :( So I don't want to take any changes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When you kill the engine, water no longer circulates, causing the water around the cylinders/head to get hotter for a short period (until the heat dissipates). Might cause a bit of water to be pushed into the overflow, also. Don't think I would worry??

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It's just normal for coolant to vent into the tank after the engine's been shut down. As it cools down, all of that coolant will be sucked back into the system.

You'd know immediately if it was boiling over. You'd see steam and coolant coming out of the overflow.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i hear this boiling noise from time to time when i switch off the engine.
its for sure the noise from hot water pushed violently to the relief tank.
i mixed different grade of coolants some time ago and now this happens,i will go for a total coolant change and inform you whether this noise persist or not

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yup, mine does it as well. Try and keep the level in the overflow up to spec. If the overflow tank is low it will be empty when you shut the engine off and coolant hitting the bottom of an empty tank will make more noise than a full one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same, in 2 days time everytime i got home i had the same gurgling and on top of that, there was collant coming out of the overflow hose at the bottom. First i thought it might be too full.

In the morning i looked at the levels, and it was a bit lower, say halfway between full and empty.

Yesterday i went for another drive, came back and had the gurgling again. I looked at the overflow tank and it was completely full. Again coolant came out of the hose at the bottom.

This morning the level is lower as the day before with a cold engine. So it can't be too full in my opnion. Anyone has idea's?

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
Duke79. This may be a stupid question. was you bike on side stand when you check you water level?. The bike need to be vertical to check the water level in the reservoir/overflow tank.

Keep you level correct and you should not have any problem
Some basis info on Water cooling below. Hope it helps.

http://www.dansmc.com/watercooling.htm

:goodluck:

·
Registered
779 Posts
^^what he says^^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts