Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post. Im very frustrated by a recurring issue with what seems as no solution yet for the V (08', 25.500 km)

I mostly ride on the weekends and around november, while riding in hot and humid weather, at high revs, the temperature warning light came on. I stopped, turned off the V and had boiling coolant in the reservoir tank. The fan was working alright. Three minutes after, turned the ignition on and the issue was gone. Rode after that for +300km that day without issues.

This has become a recurring issue since then. In various situations, specially with high revs, the coolant fills the tank completly and starts flowing out through the hose on top of the tank. When this happens (temperature light on and boiling coolant) I stop, turn off the V, wait for 20-40 seconds, turn the ignition on again and the light is gone. Wait for 10-15 minutes and the coolant returns to normal levels. Sometimes I just keep riding for a couple of kilometers at lower revs and the light turns off with no apparent reason (coolant stays a the same alarming levels). I do no feel temperature in the engine to increase significantly, no power loss.

My mechanic has changed the radiator cap and has cleaned (circulated) the radiator. This has not been effective and the issue became more frequent.

This week he changed the thermostat completly, checked the water pump (working ok) and checked the system for leaks (no leaks). Will take the V later this week for a test drive and crossing fingers this issue goes away.

Has anybody come across a similar issue? I've researched a lot and havent been able to find somebody with similar issues.

Thanks for having me in the forum. Juan.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
No, I have not had this problem.

But it sounds like you got the problem solved! :thumb:

Sticky thermostat. ;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
A thermo-Bob would be a good upgrade for something Kawasaki has half-assed (again) on the Versys. I think you may want to solve the problem first though. This image is off the Thermo-Bob site and represents their claims.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Rode yesterday, the issue still there. Next step seems to be to replace the radiator or my mechanic.

High revs I mean around 8000 rpm. The thermostat was completely changed as of this week.

This is getting very frustrating.

Thanks,

·
Registered
255 Posts
if you have bubbling in your radiator overflow tank, this could be caused by a blown/cracked head gasket - as it does in cars. Do you notice white smoke coming out the exhaust when you start the bike when cold? Do you have goopy looking oil? If the gasket is leaking the oil and water mix and you will have to replace the blown gasket to fix the problem. New radiator, new waterpump will not help. That's my 3 1/2 cents worth.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've heard of similar issues with atv's. There is usually two issues that cause the problem of the engine overheating, causing the boiling over. check for the rad (external fins) being plugged, on atv's it's usually mud clogged but yours could be bugs etc. Otherwise it's overheating from a lean condition, usually modified high flow exhaust without compensating accordingly on the fuel supply side of things. if you have stock exhaust, might be starving for fuel.. tank vent plugged, faulty sensors telling ecu wrong info, clogged injectors...just my two bits btw.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Are you running any kind of radiator guard that could be blocking to much airflow to the radiator ?

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
You said the fan is working...how frequently does it kick in?
I wonder if you have a temp switch issue.

Did you flush the cooling system?

When I put my ThermoBob on I flushed the system with tap water for 5 minutes then reverse flushed the engine and the radiator separately.
When I filled it up I tilted the bike for 20 seconds each side to prevent and air pockets.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had this problem exactly. All I had to do was take off, clean and "re-install" my radiator cap. There was plenty of gunk interfering with the cap that presumably came from stuff in the radiator from manufacturing. That solved the problem for me for a few years now.

Perhaps you should check on your cap and see if it is clean and installed correctly. If it is and this does not solve the problem then look into more extreme solutions. If it isn't then fire your mechanic - then clean your cap and "re-install" it.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Are you running any kind of radiator guard that could be blocking to much airflow to the radiator ?
I just removed mine a few days ago. the coolant was making some noise after a ride when I parked it. started doing this when warm weather got here . now it doesn't do that. ill put it back on in the fall and hope nothing hits the radiator this summer.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
I just removed mine a few days ago. the coolant was making some noise after a ride when I parked it. started doing this when warm weather got here . now it doesn't do that. ill put it back on in the fall and hope nothing hits the radiator this summer.
My suggestion: as long as your "overtemp" light on the dash isn't coming ON - put your rad guard back on and don't worry (but clean under the rad cap)!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys. Rode yesterday, the issue still there. Next step seems to be to replace the radiator or my mechanic.

High revs I mean around 8000 rpm. The thermostat was completely changed as of this week.

This is getting very frustrating.

Thanks,
I have the same issue man, 2014 versys 650, very low miles... i ride hard, or long distance at higher rpms and the same thing happens. The weird part is its obviously over temperature and when i stop (thus stopping wind passing over the radiator ) my fan doesnt kick on, yet i hear it come on at other times. I do the same thing to fix it, ride at low rpms to keep cooling it for a while before i park it. Last thing i want is to shut it of piping hot, stop circulating coolant and warp the heads.... :(. Not real happy about the situation, slowww loss of coolant do to boiling.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Very Old Thread/ No Solved Issue Posting

I have the same issue man, 2014 versys 650, very low miles... i ride hard, or long distance at higher rpms and the same thing happens. The weird part is its obviously over temperature and when i stop (thus stopping wind passing over the radiator ) my fan doesnt kick on, yet i hear it come on at other times. I do the same thing to fix it, ride at low rpms to keep cooling it for a while before i park it. Last thing i want is to shut it of piping hot, stop circulating coolant and warp the heads.... :(. Not real happy about the situation, slowww loss of coolant do to boiling.
Just recently a posting on a similar situation, unfortunately the poster got PO and removed some really excellent script and pictures, luckily I commented on his video, as he couldn't delete that, my post 26 .http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/9-technical-discussion/114417-blown-headgasket.html?highlight=head+gasket

First thing would be to check your thermostat, but you should look at the last part of the video, much has been said about a Thermo-Bob, which I have used on my 07 and again on my 2015. Understanding how it works helps, however you may have a failed temperature sensor or fan relay, anything below 40 MPH will be insufficient to cool your engine if at or above 4000 RPM, this is from info I received from the engineer of Thermo-Bob, he knows his stuff.

First idle the bike at home, run up to 2000 RPM , then idle, keep cycling ,eventually the fan should come on, if you get a overtemp light, this is the time to check your fan relay, the ECU controls both the light and the fan, I would put my money on the fan relay as the problem. I would next go to replacing the T stat , then do the same idle test at home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks,
I saw the graph above about the thermo-bob; I don't really understand how it works. The graph seems to show higher temps with it. I recently changed my oil and saw no milky badness and have no white smoke so I don't believe it is a headgasket yet. I do live in Southern CA and it does get hot here, plus I do push my baby hard on longer highway rides... sometimes cruising long distances at 118-120. Probably not the best idea but sometimes I get bored :).
I try that idle test and appreciate the feedback on the fan relay. I wondered the first time if I just pushed it to hard, but when it happened again it really called the fan into question. It's mostly coming off a longer high speed, high rpm ride, down to a lower speed/city traffic. Rattled it so bad the first time, I lost some header bolts and got an exhaust leak.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts