Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a coolant additive like Red Line's Watter Wetter or Royal Purple's Purple Ice additive? Is it worth adding? Does it work? Both profucts state that they "lower the coolant's surface tension to metal and therefore prevent hot spots while better protecting the engine from rust, corrosion and scale." Any experience with these products or similar products?

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found Zerex ZXG05RU1 G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant - Gallon for $14.99 on Amazon, free shipping. If its that good, probably well worth changing over to it and getting rid of whatever came in it from the factory/dealer.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I can't see a reason to add something like Water Wetter to the antifreeze in a street bike. We use it on the track mixed with distilled water because antifreeze is prohibited. I should think antifreeze has some anti-corrosion properties? As long as it's changed about every other year, and one is used that is suitable for aluminum engines (silicate-free) it's all good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard that the Zerex G-05 is the only coolant Mercedes and BMW allow in their cars. It does have some silicates but evidently Merc, Chrysler and Ford are ok with it in their aluminum engines.

More info from another forum:

"G-05 is good stuff. I'm currently using it in my family's three vehicles--two BMW's and a GMC Sonoma. Car & Driver did a recent article on it.

I did a lot of research on antifreeze before deciding on G-05. It's readily available; it's approved for Mercedes, Chrysler and Ford; it doesn't have the problems of DexCool which forms a nasty mess if air enters the cooling system; and it's more compatible with other antifreeze formula than DexCool's Organic Acid Technology corrosion inhibitors. It may not be as good as the most recent European formulations such as G-48, but it's close. G-48 is what BMW uses as factory fill, but you can't buy it anywhere other than at the dealer (or at a Saab dealer). G-05 is better in corrosion tests than the other antifreezes, however. Check out Valvoline.com and click on through to the technical specs. There are PDF files on how their various antifreezes do on standard ASTM tests.

Be sure to flush out your system well before changing your system over."

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Drain the current fill. Refill with distilled water and take a short ride. Drain that and add 21 ounces of full strength anti-freeze. Top up with distilled water to fill system.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Anti freeze is banned at tracks because it leaves a slippery surface on the track. Water Wetter and similar products are used in it's place. They do not prevent freezing which will crack your engine block. If you can notice a difference in the performance of coolant I would be really surprised.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Anti freeze is banned at tracks because it leaves a slippery surface on the track. Water Wetter and similar products are used in it's place. They do not prevent freezing which will crack your engine block. If you can notice a difference in the performance of coolant I would be really surprised.
Correct, thanks for elaborating. I didn't notice much difference in operating temp with antifreeze compared to distilled water + Water Wetter. Maybe a degree lower, nothing significant.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The G-05 may not provide cooler engine temps but the added engine protection is worth it to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts