Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have this morbid fascination with cemeteries. It’s not a goth or dark thing, but Knowing every person in there has a story intrigues the cinema parts of my brain. I would like to start posting unique and awesome graves I have visited on the bike just for fun.

I’ll start with one that is almost certainly cooler than the rest - James Dean in Fairmount, Indiana last week.

Feel free to add your dark-side visits!

Attachments

Reactions: invader

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wernher von Braun

This is from a job we shot in Alexandria, Va. near Ivy Hill Cemetery. Wernher von Braun Was a “prize” we got from Nazi Germany who ended up designing the Saturn rocket that took our astronauts to the moon. I met him when I was teenager. Fascinating character.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Driving thru up state NY a few years ago I ran across Sleepy Hollow cemetery. It was spectacular in full fall colors.

Neat spot to visit if you are ever up that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Driving thru up state NY a few years ago I ran across Sleepy Hollow cemetery. It was spectacular in full fall colors.

Neat spot to visit if you are ever up that way.

I'll resist my comments on the grave stones, but I will say the fall foliage is spectacular!

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
A KLR gravesite...?

The grave for Wyatt Earp's first wife is just outside of Superior, AZ. Been there quite a few times, so here's a selection of pics, but I can ONLY guess as to WHY the pennies, and the .45 Colt shell:

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mattie Earp had quite the history.

Celia Ann "Mattie" Blaylock (January 1850 – July 3, 1888) was a prostitute who became the romantic companion and common-law wife of Old West lawman and gambler Wyatt Earp for about three years. Knowledge of her place in Wyatt's life was concealed by Josephine Earp, his later common-law wife, who worked hard to protect her and Wyatt's reputation in their later years.

On July 3, 1888, Blaylock took a lethal dose of laudanum and alcohol. Her death was ruled as "suicide by opium poisoning". A long time abuser of laudanum and alcohol, it is possible she overdosed by accident and died of respiratory depression. The coroner's report of her death is brief. She is buried in the cemetery at Pinal City, now a ghost town, and located just west of the former cement and mining town of Superior, Arizona.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ok all you grave diggers. Here is some trivia in the form of a question.

What is the difference between a grave yard and a cemetery?

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
...What is the difference between a grave yard and a cemetery?...
Normally a "graveyard" is in part of a church area, while "cemetery" is a general term.

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
Here are two pics of 'something' I discovered in the Superstition Mountains E of Apache Junction, AZ, and VERY difficult to get to, much less to FIND!

The 'cross' is cut into the rock near the top of a 'defile', so we figured it MIGHT be from the 'conquistador' era.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Normally a "graveyard" is in part of a church area, while "cemetery" is a general term.
The way I heard it was: A cemetery was where Christians were buried. The grave yard was where the pagans were buried. They called it a grave yard because their situation was very "grave" indeed. Yikes!:surprise:

·
Premium Member
7,812 Posts

A bigger picture of the whole burial ground. All WW2 heroes from Commonwealth countries fighting the Japaneses Invasion of South East Asia, Location : Taiping , Malaysia.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Okay, I have this morbid fascination with cemeteries. It’s not a goth or dark thing, but Knowing every person in there has a story intrigues the cinema parts of my brain. I would like to start posting unique and awesome graves I have visited on the bike just for fun.

I’ll start with one that is almost certainly cooler than the rest - James Dean in Fairmount, Indiana last week.

Feel free to add your dark-side visits!
Have you also managed to capture ghosts on camera? While it wasn't at a cemetery or grave yard, I did potentially see the ghost of father Gagne as well as his small carriage and horse! All white lit, the horse was the most amazing sight I've ever witnessed.

30 years ago, this is exactly where I saw the white spot of light criss-crossing the field at 3 am, closer every time until I saw it was a horse and carriage with a man on it. It was fascinating to see how the horse was moving so smoothly, not actually hitting the ground! It was incredibly well detailed... It slowed down to a stop about 25 feet away from me. The man on carriage wore a hat and was staring at me. That's when I took off in terror.

Chipmunk road, near Val-Gagne Ontario

Val-Gagné - Outdoor Field Area

The Great Fire of 1916- North-Eastern Ontario, Canada

The railway in Nushka shortly after the fire, where at least 35 bodies were found

On 29 July 1916—at around the same time a large forest fire was reaching Nushka—the settlement's priest, Wilfred Gagné, was arriving in Nushka by train following a clerical retreat. Gagné had been priest in Nushka for just a month, and lived above Nushka's store. As heavy smoke filled the air, the train's conductor advised Gagné not to leave the safety of the train. Gagné instead entered Nushka and led 35 people to the railway line. He then returned to the burning town to save 28 others. Within a few hours both groups had burned to death or been suffocated, the lone survivor a man who used moist clay to filter the smoke. Nushka was completely destroyed. Of the town's inhabitants, only eight were left after the fire.

When Nushka rebuilt, it was renamed in Gagné's honour, and a monument dedicated to Gagné was erected in the Val Gagné Cemetery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Gagné,_Ontario

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Have you also managed to capture ghosts on camera? While it wasn't at a cemetery or grave yard, I did potentially see the ghost of father Gagne as well as his small carriage and horse! All white lit, the horse was the most amazing sight I've ever witnessed.
This story seems to validate your handle "Invader."

Perhaps you were being Invaded?:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
The Great Fire of 1916- North-Eastern Ontario, Canada

The railway in Nushka shortly after the fire, where at least 35 bodies were found

On 29 July 1916—at around the same time a large forest fire was reaching Nushka—the settlement's priest, Wilfred Gagné, was arriving in Nushka by train following a clerical retreat. Gagné had been priest in Nushka for just a month, and lived above Nushka's store. As heavy smoke filled the air, the train's conductor advised Gagné not to leave the safety of the train. Gagné instead entered Nushka and led 35 people to the railway line. He then returned to the burning town to save 28 others. Within a few hours both groups had burned to death or been suffocated, the lone survivor a man who used moist clay to filter the smoke. Nushka was completely destroyed. Of the town's inhabitants, only eight were left after the fire.

When Nushka rebuilt, it was renamed in Gagné's honour, and a monument dedicated to Gagné was erected in the Val Gagné Cemetery....
Thanks invader - GREAT historical story!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts