Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Been riding my 2011 V all summer since getting it used, and I have a very basic question.

Wondering whether people are allowing the bike to run before turning it off, when they get to a destination? In the northeast heat and humidity this summer, I have noticed that often the fan is running when I stop at my destination.

Most often, I just turn the bike off - but I'm now wondering if there's an advantage to allowing it to run, for a cool down period?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When I get home, I let the engine run until the fan stops
This way I don't bring ALL the heat inside the garage

Otherwise, I don't bother much, unless I just had an infernal ride ... :devil:

My 2 cents

LOP

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I just turn it off, regardless if the Fan is on or off. Thought that keeping the engine running would never get the fan to go off.

For best cooling prior to stopping run the bike above 70 kph, it tends to run a lot cooler. Running it in low speed actually heats up the coolant heaps.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I know that for turbo cars it was needed when you go very aggressive to let it cool down, the turbo shaft was sensible to this kind of problem.
For Versys, I just turn it off.

·
Premium Member
7,768 Posts
unless you can get the fan to kick in manual, its better to shut of the engine. waiting for the fan to kick in will never happen and you will only increase temp.

Fan kicks in at 102C, correct me if I wrong here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unless you can get the fan to kick in manual, its better to shut of the engine. waiting for the fan to kick in will never happen and you will only increase temp.

Fan kicks in at 102C, correct me if I wrong here.
I have been just turning it off, and will probably continue to do so. The fan is on when I stop. I wondered if allowed to run a bit more, would it cool the bike a bit, and then best to turn it off then? But you make a good point...running it in this heat while standing still gives no air to the front of the radiator - so it would possibly have no positive effect.

A manual fan switch was a popular mod on the old FZR600 I had. Haven't looked around here to see if it's something folks do to the V.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Our V has adequate fan cooling. My buddy's KTM SMT wasn't designed for the tropics as far as fan cooling is concerned. We were stuck in a massive traffic jam and as a matter of courtesy to our fellow convoy bikers, we remained in formation and didn't lane split or find other ways around the traffic. (The lead was a Goldwing, too fat to squeeze) While my V's fan was working hard and temperatures were seen at 105 deg C and maintained there, my buddy had to shut off the engine as the overheat warning lamps came on. Imagine the inconvenience of having to shut off then turn on again when we move on a little. That would strain the battery from the starter motor engagement point of view.

Well he got back home, and ordered a secondary fan, mounted it in and so far, it cools sufficiently now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've noticed that even in lower temperatures my fan will run for awhile after shutdown if I've been putting around town for a long time. Just like everything else about this bike, it works better when you go faster!!! I cool mine off with a potential "excessive speed/acceleration" ticket every day on my ride home. Keeps us both happy!
:D

·
Registered
670 Posts
once you shut it off, it's not gonna get any hotter. it doesn't really matter how long it takes to get down to ambient temp.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Even if you could run the fan after shutting the bike down, I doubt it would do any good. The fan cools the coolant that is in the radiator. When traveling this works good as there is a constant flow of coolant through the engine into the radiator then back to the engine.

When you come to a stop and turn off the bike the water pump is no longer working either. So a running fan would just cool the fluid left in the radiator with little making its way to the engine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Even if you could run the fan after shutting the bike down, I doubt it would do any good. The fan cools the coolant that is in the radiator. When traveling this works good as there is a constant flow of coolant through the engine into the radiator then back to the engine.

When you come to a stop and turn off the bike the water pump is no longer working either. So a running fan would just cool the fluid left in the radiator with little making its way to the engine.
OK, I'm buying it. That makes sense to me.

·
Registered
770 Posts
As someone stated earlier in this thread, the engine stops producing heat when you shut it off. No sense in continuing to run it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keeping it running to let it cool down? That's non sense, just turn it off.
Maybe I should have clarified. I understand that shutting the engine off will have it operating at a lower temp than running (also, moving to a lower climate area would cool it even quicker :)

But my question was really whether there was some advantage to allowing the engine to be shut down, after running it for a few minutes at low RPM (idle) rather than directly shutting it off after its been humming along at high RPM.

It was suggested to me long ago for an air cooled vintage bike - which admittedly may be very different, which is why I asked.

It seems most don't feel the need, and that's good enough for me. I would think issues would have arisen with some of you already, if shutting it off quickly was a problem.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

·
Registered
944 Posts
My '92 KLR will often kick the fan on after I park and shut it off, just for a minute or so. That kinda had me thinking that it was somehow beneficial for the bike. The counter-arguments have convinced me though, I think it's just some old-tech wiring on the ancient beast. It does tell me that the coolant heats up a bit after shut-down though, at least where the thermal switch is located, bottom of the radiator.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts